PDA

View Full Version : WHICH Menu presets?

jeric_synergy
06-21-2014, 11:08 PM
So, in another thread I got reminded that the Assign Tools are apparently only "default revealed" in the UI when using the STUDIO PRODUCTION PRESETS.

So, good to know, but that makes me wonder what's missing from , say, the Default preset.

I guess what I'd really like to know is: which is MOST complete?

spherical
06-21-2014, 11:37 PM
I started out thinking that Studio Production would be the most comprehensive but quickly learned that a lot is left out. Almost seems mutually exclusive from Default and relies upon keyboard shortcuts. Now, I suppose that if one is in a studio environment that they would have developed a thorough knowledge of the more basic commands/operations/tools in the Default set and have their activators as KB shortcuts committed to memory by now. Still, I thought that there would be more of a soup-to-nuts inclusion in Studio Production than there is. Yes, you can roll your own and make it all the way you like but, as we have seen in recent updates, sometimes the menus change; especially when new tools are introduced. What do you do then? If your customized menus are extensive, you're in for another long session figuring out what is new and how to integrate your version with them. Yes, you can leave everything as it is an only do custom stuff on completely new tabs but that isn't a very good workflow if tools that should be together are spread across the interface.

jeric_synergy
06-21-2014, 11:55 PM
You've stated the situation with admirable completeness: it is a conundrum.

Besides the obvious shortcomings (exclusions) of the Studio presets, I'm not entranced by the level of duplication and silliness in their mouse menus-- some of the choices just make no damn sense.

Currently I'm leaning towards the "Whole New Tab" strategy, and populating UserTabs(n), but as you say, this tends to result in a mishmash of tools spread across the UI in a big mess. :(

Greenlaw
06-22-2014, 01:23 AM
The Studio Production preset is actually quite old and doesn't include many of the newer tools. A year or two ago, I was told by BeeVee (who writes and edits the new Lightwave docs) that the current 'complete' menu is always the Default one.

G.

Greenlaw
06-22-2014, 01:27 AM
That said, a few plugins that I consider essential are missing from current Default setting. Mot-ify immediately comes to mind. Some of the useful FX tools are missing from the menus too. After selecting Default, I add the extras that I need and then save custom settings for any individual tabs that I've changed, in addition to the new 'complete' custom menu settings.

I like to organize any special third party tools under a 'User' tab.

Then I add any custom tabs from third party suites, like LWCAD, TFD or RHiggit.

G.

spherical
06-22-2014, 02:36 AM
Well then, I guess I'll have to begin going through the BS of "rolling my own". I've found that the Studio Production suits my way of interacting with the tools, more than the Default. I'd appreciate someone (Matt?) coming up with a Complete preset menu choice that just has every darn tool in it.

Speaking of Default.... not to hijack the thread to a slightly different but still related conundrum, if sRGB is the CS of choice, that actually allows one to work in a Linear CS workflow, WHY is Default all Linear? Either I am totally out to lunch or someone in LW3DG is on crack. Please enlighten me.