PDA

View Full Version : animatronics and makeup

rednova
06-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Dear Friends:
I want to learn to make animatronics and makeup.
I do not want to do this to make any money.
I just would really love to learn this, I would love to do it
for fun.
I don't have a lot of money, but I probably have enough to learn.
I am looking into Stan Winston's dvd's and online training.
I checked into his site and really like his tutorials.
What do you think about this ?
What do you think about Stan Winston's tutorials ?
Are there other tutorials online just as good ?
Where do you recommend to study animatronics and make up (online only) ?
Thank you !!!

Davewriter
06-21-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm afraid the "I don't have a lot of money..." part is going to make things a bit difficult.
When it comes to animatronics alone there is a good deal of gear required.
Doing time syc to get a stinking owl to work with a performer...
Let's just say it was lots of programing and lots of gears and pneumatic parts. And then a nice big controller to tell it all to...
You probably wouldn't be looking at doing makeup... if this is to last for any period of time it would be various forms of latex.
I've only seen a couple of the Winston studio dvd's. All were good, but I don't remember seeing any that would do that type of molding. Though there probably are.

Can you tell a bit more of what your project is?

hazmat777
06-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Probably not what you're looking for, but might be helpful as an alternative. No idea about advanced makeup.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139965-Dragonframe-Stop-Motion-Software-%28Video%29-Guys-this-is-VERY-cool&highlight=stop+motion

rednova
06-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi:
I just want to do this (animatronics and makeup) for fun.
I would like to do this as a new hobby.
All I want to get out of this, is personal satisfaction.
At stanwinstonschool.com I can subscribe for personal online training as low as USD 20.00 a month (that is for 4 tutorials
a month, with unlimited viewings) so I would only have to spend money on supplies and materials.
I would really, really love to learn animatronics and makeup.

ernpchan
06-22-2014, 06:43 PM
If you got the cash and drive then there's no reason not to pursue it. The makeup thing is probably easier to experiment with. Just make Halloween an everyday event for you. If you watch the sci-fi shows about this stuff you'll see that all the artists are almost self taught.

Davewriter
06-22-2014, 09:47 PM
I guess it really comes down to what you want to make and where it will "live"
Working around amusement park stuff, you had the plus of having your guests only see it from the angles you allowed them to see. But there were still control systems (the more actors the more complex)
Movie items would be designed to be viewed only from one or two angels - which always changes once the director has a "great" idea.
TV can be as simple as a puppet.
And I've seen things mounted in people's homes. But once again the control stuff has to be hidden somewhere.
Some great stuff is possible. A walk through KNB stunning can be stunning. But even mixing together a small amount of latex can easily cost some $