PDA

View Full Version : overriding the HDR image as a background image

3dgirl
11-23-2003, 09:33 PM
i am using an HDR image in image world for highlights and reflections, but don't want it as the background image, i just want the background to be black. I know setting a background image overrides the image map, but surely there must be a quicker way than creating a black square in photoshop and using it as a background image?

Simon
11-24-2003, 12:31 AM
Hi, if you want it just for reflections add it to the environment tab of the surface as a reflection map, and have 'reflection options' set to one of the spherical options.

ingo
11-24-2003, 02:22 AM
I guess the quickest way is to create a black square and use it as a backround image ;), or how about the Alpha channel ???

3dgirl
11-24-2003, 01:23 PM
thanks! i added the map to the surfaces...doh, i knew that. although i had so many surfaces it might've been quicker just to make a black solid!

thekho
11-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Or make your box or sphere and pressing the flips then give it a new surface name: Black_box or Black_sphere and change to a black colour. Save it as Black_box or whatever as you want. Go to Layout. Load the black_box, change to 0% all surface (diffuse, spec etcs). Open object properties and disable Self Shadow, Cast Shadow and Receive Shadow then enable Unseen by Camera which the black_box don't need seen from HDRI (imageworld) but HDRI will cast your objects. That's all. Hope it is help.

P.S. Sorry about my bad english.

ingo
11-25-2003, 01:17 AM
Hmmm, so why do you make all this work when in the end you make the object unseen for the camera, so you can see the HDRI again ??????? Just curious.....

apex
11-25-2003, 04:51 AM
No need for any extra modeling...
1- make a 32x32 pixel square in PS, whatever color and save in LW folder-images or your project folder. No need for larger. Do BMP
2- Load the HDR in image world:Scene-Backdrop-Add Environment
3- Load the 32x32 image in Image Editor
4- Load the 32x32 image in background image:Scene-Backdrop-Compositing-Background Image

This will tile the 32x32 and have that show in the render, not the HDR.

thekho
11-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by ingo
Hmmm, so why do you make all this work when in the end you make the object unseen for the camera, so you can see the HDRI again ??????? Just curious.....

Oh..no. I mean this Unseen by Rays not Camera. Sorry about it.