PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Hierarchy

Andy Webb
06-19-2014, 06:20 AM
Does anyone know if there is a Mirror Hierarchy plugin for Layout 64 bit?

Cheers :D

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 09:11 AM
+1

(A universal Mirror Hierarchy is needed.)

Andy Webb
06-19-2014, 09:29 AM
I've hit this issue a few times and it's most frustrating.

Not just with objects but lights too.

RebelHill
06-19-2014, 09:41 AM
LW has a mirror hierarchy tool... 2 actually. There's one that's part of bone tools, which performs a "correct" mirroring for bones only... then there's the standard one, which simply copies the hierarchy (of any item type), and simply scales the topmost item by -1 on X.

Andy Webb
06-19-2014, 10:00 AM
LW has a mirror hierarchy tool... 2 actually. There's one that's part of bone tools, which performs a "correct" mirroring for bones only... then there's the standard one, which simply copies the hierarchy (of any item type), and simply scales the topmost item by -1 on X.

That certainly works, didn't see it at first. While the extra effort of doing the scaling is no hardship but could it be classed as a work around for a single click mirroring tool?

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 10:24 AM
#awayFromLW
Is there any differentiation in the names of the 2 different hierarchy mirroring tools? (We've seen this issue before.)

I just recently ran afoul of h.mirroring (the bone only one-- solvable via correct labeling) and would like to internalize a good solution

RebelHill
06-19-2014, 10:45 AM
yep... mirror hierarchy, and BT mirror hierarchy

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 10:59 AM
#awayFromLW

I'm going to try to remember to check when I get back.... I seem to vaguely remember there's SOME issue w/m.hierarchy, maybe it will do only ONE type of element, and isn't truly universal, I don't recall.

Accounting for all possible IK permutations would be quite a task, but JUST hierarchical relationships would meet many needs.

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 01:30 PM
yep... mirror hierarchy, and BT mirror hierarchy
OK, #backAtLW, ctrl+F10..... There's BT_mirrorHierarchy, button labled as "Mirror Hierarchy" but in the Setup tab so almost justifiable, renaming to "Mirror Bn Hierarchy" for absolute clarity...

I see I also have "MGMirrorHieararchyGN", --not sure how that's different but I'm sure Mike Green's site will tell me....

Now, here's "MirrorHierarchy", ...seems to be the native one (y'know, it'd be nice if EDIT MENUS could point to a plugin file, just sayin'....) on my installation is relegated to the ADDITIONAL menu, i.e. "the junk drawer". That's sub-optimum: in what configuration/preset is it in a more accessible/logical location? That is, what's its default location in the menus?

JoePoe
06-19-2014, 03:59 PM
:confused: So MirrorHierarchy also flips the poly normals?? My (mirrored) objects are now inside out. :foreheads

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 06:48 PM
HAH! I was wondering if that would happen.