PDA

View Full Version : How to replace flocking agents with objects or characters?

jaxtone
06-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Sorry to bother yaīll out there but since Iīve have been away for a while some parts of my memory have dissappeared!

I wonder if thereīs someone who in an easy way can explain how to replace flocking agents either with objects, characters or anything else that would be of interest for a flocking system?

I have asked this once before but didnīt get it right since I experienced the explanations more complicated than necessary!

It must be possible to do this without start a course in programming :)

ernpchan
06-19-2014, 01:14 AM
You can use the Flock generator as an instance generator.

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 01:36 AM
IIRC, the instance generator must be set to PARTICLE mode. Conceptually, the flock generator is generating particles.

jaxtone
06-19-2014, 02:37 AM
Hi! I am pleased that you answered so quickly, it feels well appreciated!

I still have some questions though. Since many or maybe most official tutorial videos skip the most basic parts it often takes more time to understand how these missing parts are supposed to be done, at least if you are not working everyday with the software. Maybe this problem is because the producers see those basic parts as for in this example with replacing agents with 3D-objects as too simple to explain. In my opinion thatīs the most time consuming part of any tutorial and it seems like when a creator of a tutorial have enough knowledge to make the most advanced parts he/she cannot, will not or donīt want to explain the basic parts. Ok, anyway here are my questions if you feel like help me over the top.

ernpchan! I donīt get it since it doesnīt say more than I already know. I know that the Flock Generator creates instances. But the question was how I replace the virtual agents with real objects?

jeric_synergy! I thought the particle mode was a separate part of Lightwave that overrun the Flock Generator? Do you mean that all particles become slaves to the Flock Generator and that all these particles will go with the Flock Generator flow and movements?

Danner
06-19-2014, 05:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj4QtvrYPiQ

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 08:31 AM
jaxtone: No, I meant the agents generated by the Flocking Generator are CONSIDERED to be particles by the Instance Generator.

Check the 11.n content files for examples, and I'm pretty sure there's plenty of tutorials on this specific subject.

For your edification, I just went thru the process:

Add an object , or use Layout's modeler tools to make a small cube
Add a NULL
Add a flocking generator to the null, geometry tab in Object properties
Set up the flock
run the calc, move to frame 30 so the agents have time to disperse a little
Object properties, Instancer tab, add instancer
select TYPE: PARTICLES
add your cube object, turn on SHADED SOLID under the eyeball.

Wallagh!
The takeway here is "The FLOCK GENERATOR OBJECT is also THE INSTANCER OBJECT."
The Instancer control panel is where you select your geometry to be instanced.

ED: I re-read your posts and you have a fundamental misconception as to what the Flocking Generator does. The flocking generator doesn't create instances, it creates agents/particles. These particles can then be used by the Instance generator to place instances. The Instance Generator is where meshes are added/replaced. The UI there is pretty clear.

AFAICT, each instance generator can only do one kind of instancing, BUT, and this is a big but, you can add multiple Instance Generators to any object. So if you wanted both an array AND a flock of instances you'd add 2 different instancers set to different TYPES.

ernpchan
06-19-2014, 10:47 AM
ernpchan! I donīt get it since it doesnīt say more than I already know. I know that the Flock Generator creates instances. But the question was how I replace the virtual agents with real objects?

Sorry for the short answer. My brain was struggling to stay awake as I was browsing the forum for one last time before my night ended.

If you want actual geo you could bake out all the motion paths of each flock agent and then apply that motion to your geo. Is there a reason why you want actual geo though? You'll get the same result with instancing with less memory usage too.

I've done the real geo thing though cuz in addition to the flocking motion I wanted my geo to deform with Trailer. So I did my flock sim, baked out all the motions and then applied all those motions to geometry with Trailer applied. It requires several steps but it is possible.

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 11:08 AM
? I didn't read it as "how to replace flocked/instanced items with actual separate objects", although I can see that as one interpretation, and an incredible PITA. For more than a few items, well, whew, what a nightmare.

That said (and a prayer to Buddha that I never need it), where does one access individual agent motion paths? (running to PDF...)

ernpchan
06-19-2014, 11:09 AM
That said (and a prayer to Buddha that I never need it), where does one access individual agent motion paths? (running to PDF...)

There's a Flocking Motion Modifier you could attach to an object.

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 11:32 AM
!? This is different than the usual Nodal Motion Modifier? Just looked in the 11.6 addendum.pdf and didn't see it (yet).

#awayFromLW

ernpchan
06-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Yes, the Flocking Motion Modifier is only for Flocking.