PDA

View Full Version : okay I am getting the hang of LW....but

webshot
11-23-2003, 08:33 PM
One question. I have like a rock texture.....I want to add a layer to it to make it look like it is wet over the top (so there will be some degree of refraction to the wet areas). But I have not totally got the hang of layering textures, could someone please help. Lend a suggestion or a tut.....I would greatly appreciate it...

LW is fun once you get over the initial adjustments.

pilgrimtoad
11-23-2003, 10:21 PM
yeah, webshot, i think i'm just about where you are when it comes to lightwave.

if you are talking about adding a new surface over another surface i think i know how to solve your problem, had the same one a couple days ago.

in the surface editor, click on the "t" next to color (you know the drill) and when the texture editor dialogue box appears click on "add layer" in the top left box. that will let you "lay" a new texture layer over an exiting one.

hope that helps!

Simon
11-24-2003, 12:49 AM
If you want the rock to look wet you'll probably want it to be darker with more specularity (or possible reflection). ie have a lower diffuse % and a higher specular or reflective %.

You'd have to remember that how the surface looks would depend a lot on it having something to reflect (in the case of reflection), or on how the light is pointing at it in relation to the camera angle (in the case of specularity).

Hope that helps!

webshot
11-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Yeah....the thing is I am actually going out into the world looking at real live rocks that are wet (well not really live but you know what I am saying). And when you look closely they have like "puddles" in the crevaces that kinda refract the texture below. WHat I have tried is taking my image map, taking the color out of it, then placing it in the specular as a texture. Inverting it so the specular is in the low spots, which looks okay but it is not convincing. Any one have any ideas have to give an object like a layer on top of a layer look? HHmmmmm not sure if I am explaining this correctly. :(

Phil
11-25-2003, 10:02 AM
I'd be tempted to add some additional geometry as a separate layer in modeler (as opposed to a texture layer) to make the refraction effects work.