PDA

View Full Version : Render Problem

Tony3d
06-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Can an tone tell me what that blotch is at the bottom of this image, and how I can get rid of it?

spherical
06-18-2014, 04:13 PM
I think that you'll find that it's a refracted reflection of the bottom of the bottle. Is the liquid intersecting or touching the bottle? What happens when you turn off the liquid? What happens if you turn the liquid back on and turn off the bottle?

Many times an unexpected artifact shows up and, under further inspection, it is shown that it is supposed to be there. You just didn't think far enough into the situation.

Tony3d
06-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Turning of rays on the bottle gets rid of it, but that's not an option. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

spherical
06-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Try upping the Ray Recursion Limit. Could be additional data in there that would make it more understandable but is being truncated.

Tony3d
06-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.

Tony3d
06-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Can't figure out what's going on here. There is no objects touching each other, reflectivity has nothing to do with it ( tried turning it off with no change), turned off refraction no change, turned up the ray recursion limit no change! The only thing that seems to get rid of it is turning off Rays. What gives?

Mr_Q
06-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Looks like the fluid mesh intersecting with the glass mesh to me.

Tony3d
06-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Looks like the fluid mesh intersecting with the glass mesh to me.

It is not. I looked at it very closely from all sides. This is driving me nuts!

JoePoe
06-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Post your lwo
...and scene, for that matter.

(I too think it's the geometry not being a perfect match to the inside of the bottle. It's either inside or outside by a teeny tiny amount.)

Edit: BTW I love the chain link thing ya got goin' on!!

allabulle
06-19-2014, 03:23 PM
You could also try making the fluid object bigger until it's a bit inside the glass and see how it looks then. As it is, you can incorrectly see the glass clearly separated from the liquid. I doubt a real bottle would look like this. Also, it can get rid of the refraction/reflection that bothers you.

Tony3d
06-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Post your lwo
...and scene, for that matter.

(I too think it's the geometry not being a perfect match to the inside of the bottle. It's either inside or outside by a teeny tiny amount.)

Edit: BTW I love the chain link thing ya got goin' on!!

Thanks Joe. No, It's definitely not touching the glass. Can't figure it out!

JoePoe
06-19-2014, 04:52 PM
It's supposed to touch the glass, right??
IOW the fluid occupies the exact same space as the glass. It was made by copying that geometry and flipping.
So if it's not touching in that area.... that's a problem.
(unless you shrank ALL of the fluid after you made it.)

Tony3d
06-19-2014, 04:56 PM
It's supposed to touch the glass, right??
IOW the fluid occupies the exact same space as the glass. I was made by copying that geometry and flipping.
So if it's not touching in that area.... that's a problem.
(unless you shrank ALL of the fluid after you made it.)

Let me have another look. Now I may have really screwed it up.

spherical
06-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Let us take a look at it. Can't do much just guessing on the other side of our screens. BTW, the liquid should be touching the glass and the bottom of the bottle should not be touching the surface it is appearing to rest upon. Liquid has no air gap between it and what it touches. Two solids most always do.

Tony3d
06-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Ok, I finally got rid of that error. This was my first sub patch tutorial I did from Pixel Poly, and I relied on thicken to make the fluid, hence my problem. Did get it to look decent, but still has issues. I made the cap myself using SubD's, and ended up with all quads. This will certainly be a learning process! I know the diamond texture has a mismatch on the side. I will need to UV map it. Anyway there it is, and I will get better. I can see I'm going to have a real problem seeing the object developing using multi shift as I go along.

DonJMyers
06-20-2014, 12:40 PM
You picked a hard object to experiment with as it has glass, fluid AND air in it.

spherical
06-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Lookin' good. Nice meniscus, too.

Tony3d
06-20-2014, 01:19 PM
That was the tutorial though. I did learn a lot.

JoePoe
06-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Good trouble shooting.

Now we just need to get you to use the Dielectric node! You won't be sorry :)
(and if that is the Dielectric we need to get ya some good reflection maps :D)

Tony3d
06-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Good trouble shooting.

Now we just need to get you to use the Dielectric node! You won't be sorry :)
(and if that is the Dielectric we need to get ya some good reflection maps :D)

I don't even know what the hell the "Dielectric node is, but it sounds very complicated! LOL! If I were to model my Cary Amp you see in my avatar, it would probably take me nine years using SubD's!

JoePoe
06-20-2014, 02:37 PM
:) Dielectric node is a material node in the surface editor.
With just a click or two you can set up some sweet glass & liquid surfacing!