PDA

View Full Version : Animated 3D Pie Chart

digitalimagery
06-18-2014, 09:11 AM
How difficult and what is the process to animate a pie chart in 3D? I suspect you have to build the pie with it's various sections/colors and use an animated alpha channel mapped to the geometry in (I suspect) the transparency setting. Am I on the right track? Anyone know of examples or tuts available with the set up?

Thank you
DI

jeric_synergy
06-18-2014, 09:16 AM
"Animated" is a big range of possibilities. What exactly is the pie doing?

FWIW, flying wedges in is the EASIEST.

digitalimagery
06-18-2014, 09:24 AM
"Animated" is a big range of possibilities. What exactly is the pie doing?

FWIW, flying wedges in is the EASIEST.

Good point. I thought the animated alpha would suggest what I was looking for (not really necessary for a flying wedge).

Example, A pie chart in perspective depicting three different percentages, 40%, 35% and 25%. The 40% wedge will be the base pie and is already visible. I want the 35% wedge to draw on followed by the 25% slice. Simple enough with mattes in 2D but to maintain the pie's thickness while the slices animate is where I'm unsure.

Thanks for the fast response.
DI

jeric_synergy
06-18-2014, 09:34 AM
"Draw on". So, you want it to unfold?

Bryphii77 showed me how to do this: sadly my blog lapsed, 'cuz I did a whole article about it.

Basically, it's possible to make a gradient w.map that spans each part, one end of a wedge is 100%, the other zero.

Using dpkit's ROTATE (???? maybe MOVE) node, you can make each wedge unfold over time.

I've done animated alpha maps in the past, and it's a PITA.

Hope that's enough to get you started.

digitalimagery
06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks I'll look into dpkit - sounds simple enough. Wouldn't happen to have that article somewhere else would you?

BTW, I like your tag line. Here's another (similar). "If you want peace - be peaceful."

Thanks.
DI

jeric_synergy
06-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I think you're misreading that. It's more along the lines of:

"In order for evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing." --Edward Burke.

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who in time of great moral crises maintain their neutrality." --Aleghieri Dante

wesleycorgi
06-18-2014, 01:46 PM
http://cgi.tutsplus.com/articles/creating-a-dynamic-pie-chart-using-lightwave-after-effects-part-1--cg-5167

I learned a lot from this tutorial, including how to use expressions. I think it is from LW forum poster Meatycheesyboy(?).

JoePoe
06-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Here's another video step by step by RawM..... all in LW. :thumbsup:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?142328-Video-Tut-Quick-and-Easy-Animated-Lathe-Natively-in-LW