PDA

View Full Version : Clinic Scene

CMP 2003
11-23-2003, 06:55 PM
After learning some much needed techniques, i rendered this scene, tell me what you think,

Even destructive criticism is appreciated. hehehe,

P.S. why didnt the grass reflect?

knuckles644
11-24-2003, 12:30 AM
Looks good! That's exactly what I need to do, get started on a project of my own. I think I would learn a lot!

I don't know why the grass didn't reflect...that kind've sux...

well...maybe the windows are such are a bit too reflective

veljko
11-24-2003, 02:18 AM
You used sasquatch to make the grass, right?

Sasquatch is applied on the finished image- which means after all the rendering in the scenes is over- Becouse of that, it is not canculated in when the reflection is rendered.
Speaking of reflection, i think your glass is a bit to reflective and i guess it has no transparency (making it a mirror)?
You shold make it a bit less reflective and a lot more transparent (i would go with nothing less then 90% transp.), and then model the interior of the house, so that its not pitch black inside..

hope this helpes!
:)

CMP 2003
11-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Yeah the mirror windows are a bit much, i did that cus i didnt want them the color i had before, light blue and reflect 20% but i dont have an inside of the building so i guess i should put this in the WIP section and tweak the trees, windows, and Lighting

Thanks for the replies and help

RAZ
11-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Your render brought to mind the old phrase...

"if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"

so heres my crit

I think you work is
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................

and the bit I like is

Hope that helped ;)

SamuraiSlayer
11-24-2003, 04:58 PM
CMP 2003: If you want the glass to be like a real window, put transparency at 100%... reflection/specularity deals with the rest

CMP 2003
11-24-2003, 05:55 PM
well RAZ, if you dont like it at all its usually a nice gesture to tell me what you dont like, LIke you said

If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all.

so heres my crit I think you work is .................and the bit I like is ..................Hope That Helped

well...not really

Leprechaun
11-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Nice job, i think there is alot more that you can do to help it out a lil. Im a newb so...lol but it seems like there is alot of free space. Also, how did you come up with the idea? Just seems like something that noone would think of unless you saw this and decided to model. I also agree about raz. Raz if ur going by the quote, then just dont say anything. Noone needs someone to tell them that there work sucks. Even though u didnt literally say it. If you dont like their work, then tell them what you dont like and what they can do to improve it.
P.S. it may be just my comp but does the layout of lightwave seem to be really wide all the sudden?

CMP 2003
11-24-2003, 07:44 PM
I think im going add some detail to the environment, redo the trees, move the sign, and texture better

But look for it in the WIP section!

ddho1981
11-24-2003, 08:38 PM
I looked in WIP for any update but didn't see any so i'll just crit this one . . .

i vote for 90-95% transparency on glass -- it's not TOTALLY transparent . . . air is (unless it's foggy:)). glass has a tint.

as for reflectivity, if you haven't looked into gradients, that helps a lot for subtle changes in reflectivity (or just use fast fresnel for a quick fix)--you may also consider a very VERY slight bump to the glass to make it not look so perfectly flat . . .

maybe add a couple steps that go up to the door -- there's never brick flush with the wall under doors like that. speaking of doors . . . is that a sliding door? if not, it looks to be a little wide proportionately.

you may want to try using an area light or spot to soften up the shadows a bit with a little bit of a yellow hue to look like the sun. good luck.

DH

Wade
11-24-2003, 11:51 PM
my vote 50 percent trans 50 percent reflective. 50 percent diffuse.... Really makes for some nice glass in the case of a building like this. Mix it up some see what you like.

Zarathustra
11-25-2003, 11:21 AM
But look for it in the WIP section!

That's where this should have gone in the first place. Pay attention. The forum categories aren't that difficult to understand.

rufusdog
11-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Looks good! However, the reason the grass didn't reflect is because sasquatch LITE dosn't reflect, refract, work with radiosity, or cast shadows. The full version works with everything. Plus there are many more style tools. The grass you have dosn't cover the ground completly. If you apply more than one grass plugin you can have a varation with the clumping and length of the grass. Next, the trees need work. trees don't end at a stubby blunt as your trees do. The branches taper out and come to a point. The texture on your trees dosn't follow the way the branch grows. I suggest a UV map. I agree with everyone else about the windows. There isn't much in the name of a background; other buildings, more trees, thicker clouds, mountains. more overall detail could work. and never forget to gather refrence pics. I wish you luck! Post any modifications!

It has great potential!

a quick pic of grass:

CMP 2003
11-25-2003, 03:27 PM
I didnt use sasquatch lite at all, i used the full version, but i dont yet understand all of the settings, I will fix the probs as soon as i have time,

and dont worry ....it wont be in the FINISHED SECTION

PS i dont know how to UV map yet, and i dont know what to do with the trees, i just used Lscript

veljko
11-26-2003, 02:40 AM
@rufusdog
show me one image of sasquach grass reflecting in a mirror and ill buy you a beer and a pizza if you are ever in town-
Sasq. does not reflect becouse it is aplied post process- which means after all the rendering is over..
As for the UV maps, the trees and stuff i would not bother myselfe with all that- The tree as the entire setting is not photo realistic, and i would not go into making it more realistic. I would at this point concern myselfe with the windows, and the scene lightening, and with making better grass...

veljko
11-26-2003, 02:25 PM
hi,
just wanted to plead yet again to the folks posting in the forum (you CMP 2003 included) to please compress your images into compressed .jpg-es
Come on?:)
This image i 6 TIMES smaller in MGBites then the one posted-
With virtualy no difference..
this cuts my waiting time significantly...so please, for the sake of us poor 56k people compress images!:)

oh yea,
@raz:
Your comment, although without many words, was totaly inapropriate and should not have a pleace in this forum, thread, or amongst the replies of the helpfull and cool people that visit these forums.
If this was a laps of jugment or a reaction to a bad day on your part, please apologise to CMP 2003-
I guess you were born a great LW artist?

i apologise to the moderator of the forum-

veljko
11-26-2003, 02:29 PM
some people may see artifacts from the compression, but this image was compressed 6 times-
If it was done only 2 times the results would be an image twice less in size and with NO artifacts whatsoever.:)

try it:)

you can even make a bumper sticker for your car

"I COMPRESS!"