PDA

View Full Version : Octane Renderer, why?

raw-m
06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Saw this that LW3d posted on their twitter account earlier:
http://vimeo.com/groups/lightwave/videos/93102367

Looks very tasty. I've never looked into 3rd party renders as always been happy with the native results so wondering what does this give you that LWs render doesn't? Would I have to re-texture/learn everything if I have Octane to make use of it? Does Octane do the lens flare thing or is that post?

tyrot
06-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Years ago when octane has released, i was considering myself - a native LW renderer worshipper- THen Standalone version of Octane changed my idea.
Then JUAN - i call him SAINT JUAN - made LW Octane Plugin and with version 2 ... I m thinking this is the most amazing thing since LW.

IT is fast - IT does render like no other - JUAN integrated so well that he simply making LW to Octane transfer easiest possible.

IT is a life changing plugin and renderer. Please download the demo - get a fast NVIDIA cuda card first - then play with it... We are here to help you with ALL your issues...

you may not render anything - except some voxel stuff - with native renderer...

i am SOOOO excited that you will test octane... really... it is that good!

spherical
06-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Physically based (unbiased) renderers do things that biased renderers (LightWave, Modo, most native renderers) don't.

You have:

Real-world lighting. IOW, IES lights are accurate.
Cameras work like real-world cameras with ISO, F-stop, etc. If you're fluent in photography, it makes way more sense.
GI is always on, so the realism is too. It's brute force and, using as many GPUs that you can give it, fast.
Micro-displacement on a single poly for increased realism on textures and low poly count models.
There's a lot of reasons.

I have Thea Render now and, once I can afford it after all of the upgrades and new purchases since the year end, will be getting Octane.

Each has its strong points:

Thea has a hybrid mode in both rendering engine and processing. It can render GPU-only, CPU-only and GPU/CPU. It has both unbiased and biased render modes. Very flexible. Currently, texturing has to be done in it, so you model in your app of choice and texture/light in Thea.

Octane used to be this way but the new plugin that Juanjo is writing allows for increased passthrough of textures done in Modeler/Layout. This is a big step forward.

However, the price went up so, for me right now, $862.00USD for the standalone + LightWave + Modo + Blender plugins is too steep. Used to be that Modo had its own standalone/plugin bundle and ALL of the other plugins were bundled together. Should have bought in back then, because if you have v1.5 and plugins, for a paltry $134.00 you get v2.0 and all existing licensed plugin upgrades free. Now, all of the plugins are individual buys, which significantly raised the price. Had there been a courtesy announcement that this change was going to be made, I would have jumped. Screwed again.

Had anticipated some sort of new version release sale but, no. It's all pretty biased toward current users. With the individual plugin buys, and the demise of the all-in-one plugin bundle, it would be really courteous to offer a set of two, three, four, five, ... fifteen plugin bundle prices. Choose any number of whatever app plugin and cut the initial steep cost. They have 3, 5 and 10 pack plugin bundle prices but it's all one plugin type for one application, not mix and match. Large studios are favored. Small and one man band studios that have many applications, not. C'mon guys, get creative. I'll still probably get it someday but I, and they, will have to wait.

raw-m
06-16-2014, 04:08 PM
I will def look into it. Brute force GI, does that not take ages to calculate!? I think my understanding of what a Physical based renderer was wrong.

Lewis
06-16-2014, 04:18 PM
I will def look into it. Brute force GI, does that not take ages to calculate!? I think my understanding of what a Physical based renderer was wrong.

Yes in LW/CPU rendering but not so much in GPU, Modern GPUs have so much more Cores (like 1000 for lower end GPUs and - 2500-3000 for Hi-Eng GPUs) than todays CPUs (with 4-6-8-10-12 cores only) so it's fast :).

Just be carefull if you go to Octane route, Octane supports only CUDA (Nvidia) GPUs.

P.S. On that video (Shauns' video) that's all rendere din Camera, Octane has postrocessing node into the camera for bloom, vignetting, flares etc. etc. so you can render it all in camera in one pass with no post work :).

OnlineRender
06-16-2014, 04:46 PM
you only need to go onto the lwiki fb group and you will see why octane is outstanding... jaw dropping results being produced & then cry at Rene's octane setup :D

nope that is not instancing :D
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/1956694_10152298921420768_5161030899745753180_o.jp g

pinkmouse
06-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Mark, there's no Mac version there yet. ;)

spherical
06-16-2014, 04:59 PM

Heck no. GPUs kick @$$. These work much like FPrime does. You let the render go for as long as you like and stop it when it floats your boat. You can set a samples per pixel limit and it'll stop when it get there. Don't know about Octane but Thea allows you to open a file and restart a render where it left off, so you can further refine it; also like FPrime.

Octane allows you to do plop renders to clean up noise in problem areas, without having to render already clean sections needlessly.

Look into Thea Render (http://www.thearender.com/cms/), too. More affordable and development is steadily progressing. There are plugins for many apps. Not as integrated as Octane v2 <> LW so far but they'll get there I'm sure. Their new Micro Roughness is really great. The Relight and Colimo Resurfacing features are really good, too. There's a few videos demoing them in the Tech Tour.

Get the demos of both and play around.

raw-m
06-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Mark, there's no Mac version there yet. ;)

Ah! ...and if I go for a new MacPro then I'm even more out of luck as they are (currently) AMD.

Interesting thoughts, it's like choosing a lens for your camera.

Danner
06-17-2014, 02:13 AM
It is still slow for interior scenes, (unless your gpu power is more than your cpu power). But the rendering speed is only part of it, it's easy to get good looking results. I have here a gtx 670 and a 16core dual cpu box. On this machine Octane is usually slower than a normal LW render once you take cache savings into consideration. This MB supposedly supports 3 GPUs, but it's unstable if I add another.. sigh. That and network rendering have me still stuck in native-render-land.

Red_Oddity
06-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Indeed, Octane will struggle (like every other renderer) with indoor situations.

Doing a commercial with a car and garage with lots of lights with very fine details, VRay still was the better option for us (much easier to tweak than Octane's one model fits all MLT path tracing approach)

It is also one of the many times we had Arnold's superior importance sampling.