PDA

View Full Version : LW -> Maya -> LW

ksnoad
06-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Hello,

Can anyone please share their best methods for getting objects back and forth from Maya? This must be a pretty common thing, right?

I'm currently using 11.03 but will upgrade to 11.6 when installing Maya 2015. My experience so far exporting fbx from LW to Maya has been pretty unsuccessful. Loss of textures and morphs:( Has the fbx export in LW11.6 improved any?

How about Pointoven? This looks great on the website offering object translation retaining textures and morphs etc but the site doesn't seem to have been upgraded recently and we haven't had any response form our emails. Anyone know if Pointoven is still alive?

Would Chronosculpt help here?

Kev xx

- - - Updated - - -

Aaah, just found this...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?141678-lightwave-to-maya-workflow&highlight=lw+maya

Would be good to have any thoughts on the updated fbx. Anyone using it with success?

Kev xx

Every4thPixel
06-16-2014, 03:24 AM
You only need to relink the textures. FBX preserves everything you need, like uvmaps and morphs and stuff like that.
You don't need point oven anymore in LW and Maya. Now LW supports Geo Cache out of the box.

I use FBX all the time and I've never had any problem with it. Not with the last versions at least. What's good to keep in mind is that some things are application specific like nodal setups, deformers and plugins. You can export things like that. For animation the solution is Cache files like mdd and geo cache.

djwaterman
06-16-2014, 04:09 AM
I'd love to see a tutorial that takes a scene from LW to Maya, or the other way, and goes through all the specific steps. I just want to see it in action.

Every4thPixel
06-16-2014, 04:52 AM
It is nothing special if you have a simple scene. Just press export and check the things you want to embed. When having characters just bake everything to geocache with the MDD Multibaker. Of course you have to know how both apps work to relink textures and cache file but it is really not that hard. If you don't want to bake all the motion channels down you could run into some problems. So the best thing to do is bake all motion channels etc and use caches for deformations.

Don't expect to get a render ready scene when exporting stuff. Applications are just too different. You always need to reconnect missing things and check double check if everything is converted correctly.
If exporting from LW->Maya->LW it always good to prevent change in point order so you can keep you LW model in LW preserving the textures and shading and just apply the Cache file you get from an animator. So before exporting make sure you've separated you model in layers so the animator doesn't have cope with that.

ksnoad
06-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

Strangely had an install of 11.5 on my computer which seems to export fbx a lot better. No crash and brought in all the UVs and even attached the images.

How do I prevent point order change on the export? This does look like a likely cause of the morph problems.

Hopefully I will just be transferring models for the moment but good to know that the mdd baker for animation is working too.

Thanks,

Kev xx

Every4thPixel
06-16-2014, 08:06 AM
If you don't change the mesh the point order doesn't change. Sometimes animators want to pull out some parts of a mesh to make the animation process easier or add an edge loop somewhere. Things like this change the point order. Simply exporting stuff back and forth shouldn't cause any problems.

If you have problems with morphs you can export the morphs as separate objects.

2create
06-16-2014, 08:20 AM
We did a little test project (https://vimeo.com/79097713) with Maya and Lightwave using OBJ's and autodesk geometry cache out of maya and re-surfacing and rendering through Lightwave. Worked like a charm!

moc
06-16-2014, 12:50 PM
We did a little test project (https://vimeo.com/79097713) with Maya and Lightwave using OBJ's and autodesk geometry cache out of maya and re-surfacing and rendering through Lightwave. Worked like a charm!

Do you mind to tell me .Do you transfer the camera between maya & LW?
Currently,I had a project animated in max cat,and I need to rendering and surfacing at LW.
Character mesh use PC2 cache through DP MD plugin was fine.
Any bros know how to transfer camera with target from max to LW?
Fbx always find a flipping error...
besides that,I've try max2AE....and then back to LW.but the focal length done wrong.

Greenlaw
06-16-2014, 03:13 PM
I often use Lightwave's FBX to send cameras to Maya, Motion Builder and Fusion. Works like a charm.

For animation, I normally use MDD or Geocache, especially when going from Maya to LightWave because it preserves the deformation. If you need to attach anything to an mdd driven character, you have a few options: FX Metalink, DP Metafit, or convert a selected vertex to a null using FX Hardlink and then parent your object to the null.

For mocap, I typically use Lightwave's Load Items From Scene - Merge Only Motion Envelopes to to transfer only the animation data from a Motion Builder FBX directly to a character rigged in Lightwave.

G.

ksnoad
06-18-2014, 04:13 AM
If you don't change the mesh the point order doesn't change. Sometimes animators want to pull out some parts of a mesh to make the animation process easier or add an edge loop somewhere. Things like this change the point order. Simply exporting stuff back and forth shouldn't cause any problems.

If you have problems with morphs you can export the morphs as separate objects.

Yeah, I was just exporting and importing into modo as a test - this gave me the messed up morphs - maybe separate models is the long way to go :(

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Kev xx

Julez4001
03-15-2015, 11:05 AM
I often use Lightwave's FBX to send cameras to Maya, Motion Builder and Fusion. Works like a charm.

G.

GreenLaw
Have you match the cameras in LW and Maya up?
Pointoven use to boast that they could virtually lie up a render in LW to one in Maya.
Have you ever had to do that?

Seamless?

Cageman
03-15-2015, 01:15 PM
In most cases LW/Maya Camera transfers works as in Pixel Perfect match...(FBX)... In some weird cases it does not, and that is where I would use PointOven.

Julez4001
03-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Answered my own question in another thread.

Thanks