PDA

View Full Version : OnLive unveils CloudLift Enterprise for graphical work

Philbert
06-16-2014, 12:21 AM
After successfully launching CloudLift for gaming a few months ago OnLive is moving back into the business sector. Their CloudLift Enterprise service is focused on letting people do work in high end graphics programs (like LightWave) and simulations on low end hardware such as tablets, phones, and low powered laptops. See the link for more info and a nice video on it.

http://cloudliftenterprise.onlive.com/

spherical
06-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Let's break this down to actualities, shall we?

Security risks are virtually non-existent because no trace of sensitive data is left on the client device

So you, as the user, have nothing. They have everything that you created.

and no application code ever leaves the data center.

You have even less, as there is nothing whatsoever that you can run if you have no connection.

CloudLift Enterprise provides 100% protection against software piracy that costs industries over 63 billion dollars every year,

It's all about them, not you the customer. SO typical these days. Didn't used to be this way. Further... nothing is 100% effective. Period—short of pulling the network cable from the port or never powering up at all.

while end-user support is massively simplified and centralised.

One stop shopping and no alternatives. Further, they really should run their corporate bullspeak through a spell checker. Yikes. Sorry for the rant but I'm far past being up to here with the Emperor's New Clothes and how my life and work environment will benefit from their latest sleight of hand trick designed to pull the newest wool over our eyes.

Philbert
06-16-2014, 01:37 AM
Wow. So negative!

spherical
06-16-2014, 01:46 AM
Depends upon one's point of view whether it's negative or not, no?

BTW, this isn't about me. Just read it for what it really says.

Philbert
06-16-2014, 01:50 AM
Well, I didn't hear any mention of the positive aspects. Most of what you described relates to cloud computing in general. For example, of course you don't have the files or the software, they're in the cloud.

pinkmouse
06-16-2014, 03:08 AM
How on earth could you run Lightwave on a phone? I have two big 1080 screens and that's not enough room at times.

Philbert
06-16-2014, 03:11 AM
Well LightWave was just my example but one thought is to hook it up to a monitor and a mouse. I hook up my phone to my TV all the time.

50one
06-16-2014, 03:11 AM
Server-side apps...ooops! CLOUDS! are soo 2010!.....FOG is the new black in terms of computing.

Danner
06-16-2014, 04:34 AM
Thank you for the heads up, this is actually something we can use, as part of our business is building web apps, it's very convenient to test it on an array of different platforms all in one place.