PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 3D Printing group?

GATOR
06-15-2014, 10:39 PM
I tend to be spending more and more of my day with 3D printing issues.

Granted, I spend 90% of my day modeling in Lightwave, rendering in Lightwave for a living.

But this 3D printing thing is becoming part of my daily routine.

NewTek folks, can we create a sub-forum for this group?

If not, can your next upgrade get rid of voids in overlaps? Every 3D program has the issue, it seams. Solve the problem and you will be an industry leader.

spherical
06-16-2014, 02:09 AM
Overlaps are the responsibility of the user doing the modeling, not the coders providing the tools to do the modeling. Yes, overlapping geometry and holes in same are a problem for 3D printers that require objects to be manifold. You need to learn how to ensure that these anomalies are nonexistent at the root of the process by creating sound, water-tight models and you will be WAY ahead. All too often we hear complaints about how this slicer id buggy and that software should be better when it always boils down to learning proper modeling practice. Once that basic skill is achieved, not necessarily mastered mind you, the "bugs" and "problems" completely disappear.

GaryLosAngeles
06-28-2014, 02:17 PM
A sub-forum for dealing with 3D printing issues is a very good idea.

Paul_Boland
06-28-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm one of the backers of the Micro 3D Printer which I'll be getting in January so a forum for 3D printing talk would be cool.

Greenlaw
06-28-2014, 11:56 PM
That's probably a good idea. In the meantime, there's this thread:

3D Printing Makerbot and other home Desktop Printers-Feedback (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129505-3D-Printing-Makerbot-and-other-home-Desktop-Printers-Feedback&highlight=3D+printing)

Since it started, this thread has covered a broad range of printers (including my printer The Form 1,) model prep techniques, software and printing services. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to check it out.

G.

prometheus
06-29-2014, 05:24 AM
That's probably a good idea. In the meantime, there's this thread:

3D Printing Makerbot and other home Desktop Printers-Feedback (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129505-3D-Printing-Makerbot-and-other-home-Desktop-Printers-Feedback&highlight=3D+printing)

Since it started, this thread has covered a broad range of printers (including my printer The Form 1,) model prep techniques, software and printing services. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to check it out.

G.

Glad I started a thread that seems to have filled a good purpose here, sad I canīt participate in it though...since I donīt have the means to get hold of a printer.

Michael