PDA

View Full Version : I need this in my Modeler: dynamic Selection Info anchored next to Mouse Cursor

sampei
06-15-2014, 06:50 AM
so this is something I constantly wish I had: while modeling it often happens that you need to verify how many elements are selected before committing to an operation (say welding) and to do this you can a) check the Selection Info which is a pain because it's all the way down and breaks focus or b) having Statistics Window open and dragged next to where you are working which takes up considerable real estate and requires constant repositioning. Option c) would be to count them, but this would be could for all those times you select stuff by accident and it's off viewport or hidden behind something or have many selections.
Having a pair of digits constantly next to the cursor would be amazing and make certain types of workflows silky smooth...no interruptions, maximum efficiency!
I was wondering if it's even possible to make an lscript or plugin that places the Selection Info digits anchored next to the cursor...and if so...anyone wants to make it? ;D

Sensei
06-15-2014, 11:57 AM
I was wondering if it's even possible to make an lscript or plugin that places the Selection Info digits anchored next to the cursor...and if so...anyone wants to make it? ;D

Not possible.

jeric_synergy
06-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Well, it's a good idea, but since it's currently not possible according to Sensei, I suggest the idea be modified:

I'd request a FACILITY be included in the code that would insert hooks into the cursor management routines that would allow a variety of information be added to the cursor display. That would allow future expandability for other uses.

Looking at what IKBoost can do and display, I guess that such display infrastructure is quite a bit more advanced in Layout than in Modeler (now, there's a surprise. /sarc ).

LWCad seems, to my limited exposure, to have advanced display capabilities. Also, the newer, "Axis-" tools have a on-screen display-- perhaps some of that architecture could be used. It might have to be hacked in, as a sorta separate Selection Only tool ("SuperSelect 2000!") that would hand off its selection to the rest of Modeler. But that's a total hack, and I hope LW12 has already evolved past such patchwork.

Sensei
06-15-2014, 12:36 PM
LWCad seems, to my limited exposure, to have advanced display capabilities.

It can display whatever it wants on viewports as long as tool is active. You drop tool, no display. But OP wanted this to work regardless of used tool, with native, and 3rd party. All currently existing one.

There is no way to check whether some point, edge or polygon is selected or not. This info is send only to tool during activation of tool by user.
I wanted this info in polygon handlers in 2007:
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?9187_GYZSTJHU

jeric_synergy
06-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Oh, yeah, that's not going to happen before LW12 (please prove me wrong LW3dG!) .

I think the most that could be done would be my proposed SELECTION TOOL, but that's a kinda stupid thing, and not worthy of the effort.

sampei
06-15-2014, 02:17 PM
OP wanted this to work regardless of used tool, with native, and 3rd party.

wait, wait...I only would need it to work while in selection mode: for example I want to weld vertex A to vertex B so I switch to point selection, I select A then B and I have the digit "2" (since a total of 2 points are selected) next to the cursor, I now am sure no other vertex got selected by accident so I can now activate weld and no longer need the digits to be active...I'm guessing it's still not possible?

jeric_synergy
06-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Like I said, a coder could make a "Selection Tool" that would have that, just like LWCad displays a buncha stuff. When you quit the tool, it would have to hand the Selection info over to the 'real' system to retain the selection, but that's likely possible.

Sensei
06-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Like I said, a coder could make a "Selection Tool" that would have that, just like LWCad displays a buncha stuff. When you quit the tool, it would have to hand the Selection info over to the 'real' system to retain the selection, but that's likely possible.

Interactive tools can't select elements. Only non-interactive 3rd party can.

Sensei
06-15-2014, 11:22 PM
wait, wait...I only would need it to work while in selection mode: for example I want to weld vertex A to vertex B so I switch to point selection, I select A then B and I have the digit "2" (since a total of 2 points are selected) next to the cursor, I now am sure no other vertex got selected by accident so I can now activate weld and no longer need the digits to be active...I'm guessing it's still not possible?

That's middle of Modeler's the main loop of application..

jeric_synergy
06-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Interactive tools can't select elements. Only non-interactive 3rd party can.
??? That's a bit confusing: the only thing this tool would be doing would be selecting. Other than that, zip.

The confusing part is when you say "Only non-interactive 3rd party can." So they CAN select??

Sensei
06-15-2014, 11:55 PM
Do you know difference between interactive tool and non-interactive tool?
Interactive tool has Numeric panel. It's staying active until user drops it with space or so. It can receive mouse events: pressing button, releasing button, mouse move while buttons are pressed.
Non-interactive tool is one that you press, it's working (blocking LW), and then quits.

Interactive tool cannot select elements. Unless something has changed in LW v11. But since v6 at least functions polSelect/pntSelect were NULL.

sampei
06-16-2014, 06:33 AM
Sensei delivered a heavy dose of harsh reality, giving up then...the dream is dead :compbeati