PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship lovers!: elements of modeling a spaceship

jeric_synergy
06-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Here's some really tasty renders:

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/06/we-will-probably-never-have-this-warp-capable-space-ship-but-it-looks-fantastic/

All very nice, but I think the challenge for most of us is what to put on the ship to make it convincing, and to give it a scale so it doesn't look like a RevellŪ model.

Here we have:

hatches
panels
handholds
slots (mysterious slots)
grills
little blobs of text

All of which add up to the final effect.

vonpietro
06-15-2014, 12:26 PM
very nice concept art.

good lighting too

jeric_synergy
06-15-2014, 12:33 PM
"Good lighting" isn't all that descriptive: what distinguishes good from bad, and gives a sense of scale, when lighting spaceship meshes?

vonpietro
06-19-2014, 11:01 PM
good lighting - i can see the details of the ship pretty well because its pretty well lit, looks like radiosity. it reminds me of the enterprise in space dock alittle for some reason, except it's way brighter.

space ship lighting ... hmm.. well - the guys at foundation imaging used pretty simple light rigs for voyager and borg ships, can't quite recall but i think it was 3 point lighting with rim. i was surprised how simple it was, i thought they did more special lighting, but alot of it was luminent maps as lights on the ship itself and some spot lights here and there.

2001 space ship lighting is more realistic, one big sun light with dark area on one side, really dark areas.

babyon 5 guys at netter digital told me they always use nebulas polys to contrast the ships so you didnt have to work so hard with lighting them.

I'd stick to the 3 point, and tweak the levels, but you can always put a lights somewhere on the ship as a lightsource too.

i'd like to see that ship lit like it's really in space though. It really has such even lighting all around doesn't it. still it looks nice for a concept shot. great little details all over the ship, nice

spherical
06-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Of course, 2001 was done with large, sometimes huge, scale physical models. Nothing like getting it in the camera for tasty realism, as opposed to beating you over the head with it and failing the attempt.

jeric_synergy
06-19-2014, 11:49 PM
It's not like we haven't had a big scale structure in space for a while, although it has this huge blue-ish bounce card right next to it...

spherical
06-20-2014, 01:34 AM
Not sure I catch your drift.

vonpietro
06-20-2014, 11:43 PM
so you didn't like the way space was portrayed in the movie 2001?

for its time, i thought it was pretty cool, specially after having just seen star wars, but i really liked 2010 way better, the Russian ship was way more interesting to me than the iconic discovery.

shrox
06-21-2014, 12:16 AM

I have been messing with one of those painting look programs. It seems promising.

vonpietro
06-21-2014, 01:25 PM
wow, that is pretty nice looking sci fi art !!

whats the link for the program? it looks like the cover of a scifi book, good work!, i like the model too

spherical
06-21-2014, 02:38 PM
so you didn't like the way space was portrayed in the movie 2001?

Who said that? Are you kidding me?!?!?! Those huge models were the key to making it be as realistic as it is. I went to see it more than fifteen times, just to try to figure out how it was done; because it was so far ahead of anything else at the time. How it was done wasn't released until way after. "Don't like the way space was portrayed?" It was perfect.

The point was, it wasn't virtual 3D, it was physical 3D done on a scale that no one had. Trumbull did an amazing job, as he does on just about everything. Always admired dedication like that and his sense of getting it right, no matter what, because so few people go the last mile. I do that in my work and when I see it in others', I recognize the effort. It was his treatment of Blade Runner that stuck out a few years later that brought me full circle back to 2001 and I'm now close friends with Gary Lockwood and we have been working together for years. Elsewhere on these forums is the story of how we met.

shrox
06-21-2014, 03:37 PM
wow, that is pretty nice looking sci fi art !!

whats the link for the program? it looks like the cover of a scifi book, good work!, i like the model too

It's called FotoSketcher. It can give a Robert McCall kind of took for detail, but I don't think it would be useful for animation.

jeric_synergy
06-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Not sure I catch your drift.
Just that the biggest thing we have in space is orbiting this really big blue/white bounce card next to it. So, few photographs of large artifacts in deep space lit exclusively by the sun, yet.

(Of course, if you wait, what, 45 minutes? the bounce card goes dark....)

Trumble's website is.... humbling.

zapper1998
06-22-2014, 09:31 AM
The Sun Lights up everything in space, the shadow side is black, because there is nothing for the photons to bounce off.

Unless the ship has alot of outside lighting for luminating the Ship. Like Marker lights, and lots of spot lites lighting up the outside Hull.

Planets reflect light but not all that much.

So keeping the camera on the sun lit side is usually the norm..

Nice looking ship, a little to clean for space, should have some scratches and dents.. need those.. a little wear and tear would be cool..

:)

jeric_synergy
06-22-2014, 09:53 AM
I don't know about planets reflection "not that much" light: the Moon has an albedo of 0.12, the Earth an albedo of 0.3, and the ISS is REALLY close to Earth. The face of the Earth subtends a big chunk of the sky at the ISS's altitude. I'm pretty sure there's no trouble reading by Earthlight on the ISS, when on the dayside.

pinkmouse
06-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Nice looking ship, a little to clean for space, should have some scratches and dents.. need those.. a little wear and tear would be cool.. :)

Hmm. A ship that goes in and out of atmosphere, perhaps. A pure space ship isn't going to have any scratches and dents, (apart from a few possibly around airlocks and suchlike). Anything that hits a craft in space big enough to show a significant mark is most likely to be travelling so fast relatively that it will create much more than a dent. :D

vonpietro
06-26-2014, 01:59 PM
sorry spherical i mis read your post, thought you didn't like the space in 2001. opposite i see!!

I'm a big fan of 2001, I've been recreating the discovery and the long hallway, in my spare time, (lw has a fish eye lens that works well too) i've got an idea i want to do so all i need left is to finish those models and sets and maybe the pod room and the suit and Helmut. Do you have any reference of the discovery, i'm having a hard time finding close up details of the hull. i did find a good closeup of the helmut (orange). discovery is a good ship to model because it's pretty straight forward modeling wise. Still the ball part is challenging to model curved hull pieces on, i'm still not so good at that. bevel and such

shrox
06-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Hmm. A ship that goes in and out of atmosphere, perhaps. A pure space ship isn't going to have any scratches and dents, (apart from a few possibly around airlocks and suchlike). Anything that hits a craft in space big enough to show a significant mark is most likely to be travelling so fast relatively that it will create much more than a dent. :D

There is stuff it that can build up on surfaces of orbiting objects, like sulfur ions.

jeric_synergy
06-26-2014, 08:07 PM
There is stuff it that can build up on surfaces of orbiting objects, like sulfur ions.
Sulfer ions. 8~ Tough to model.

BTW, if someone wanted A) a good read, and then B) quite a modeling challenge, they could assy "The River of Stars" from the excellent novel "The Wreck of The River of Stars". --Sunjammer ship. Great book.

shrox
06-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Sulfer ions. 8~ Tough to model...

Hee hee, just a yellowish turb or FBM procedural would work, it is thin powdery coating.

jeric_synergy
06-27-2014, 11:49 AM
;) --So, why >>sulfer<<?? Is it a component of the solar wind?

shrox
06-27-2014, 12:12 PM
;) --So, why >>sulfer<<?? Is it a component of the solar wind?

The reaction of solar wind with the upper atmosphere causes some elements to become ionized. Somebody even posted some pictures last year I think of some panels from the MiR spacestation that were coated in powder, some in clumps. I think it might have been Giger.

jeric_synergy
06-27-2014, 12:52 PM
??? How much sulfer IS there in the ambient atmosphere??

I mean, PRE-Easter.

shrox
06-27-2014, 12:54 PM
??? How much sulfer IS there in the ambient atmosphere??

I mean, PRE-Easter.

There is a lot of stuff in space!

http://www.livescience.com/28939-sulfur.html