PDA

View Full Version : Instancing: uses for Pivot mode?

jeric_synergy
06-13-2014, 10:27 AM
#awayfromLW

Maybe this will be immediately obvious once I get back to LW, but: what uses does one have for PIVOT mode in the instancer? I mean, it's all at the same point, right?

I guess if the instanced mesh were offset from its own origin, that could be useful/interesting. And if it were animated, that could make for some interesting 'replicator' or 'repeater' type mography stuff.....

BTW, students: INSTANCER:PATH mode is VERY fun. I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen a bunch of wacky stuff created w/PATH mode. :stumped:

jeric_synergy
06-16-2014, 10:57 AM
:crickets:

inkpen3d
06-17-2014, 05:34 AM
Pivot mode is useful if you want to accurately position just one instance of an object (A) onto another object (B) to which the instance generator is applied. That is, because the location of the pivot for the object B is fixed at a known location, you know exactly where the (single) instanced object A will be placed. Conversely, if you were to select, for example, surface mode and set the number of instances to 1, you would not have easy/predictable control over where that one instance of object A would be located.

That's the way I understand it.

Regards,
Peter

inkpen3d
06-17-2014, 07:33 AM
FYI: It would appear that if you use point mode and set the number of instances to 1, then the instance is always placed on point #1 of the object (if you go into Modeler, select all the points of the object, and then press the i-key to bring up the point info panel and select point #1, you'll be able to confirm that this is the case). Of course, in a complex model, point #1 might not be in a convenient location, so this method of positioning a single instance is of limited use!

Also note that in point mode, as the number of instances are increased, they are assigned sequentially to the corresponding point number of the object's vertices - i.e. if 10 instances are used, then these are assigned to points #1 to #10 of the object, if the number of instances is bumped up to 11, then the additional instance is assigned to point #11, and so on. Useful perhaps if you want to, for example, only cover the lower half of a sphere in instances!

Regards,
Peter

jeric_synergy
06-17-2014, 07:47 AM
PIVOT MODE: Indeed, but that's just ONE instance-- why not just put the object ITSELF there?

inkpen3d
06-17-2014, 08:12 AM
PIVOT MODE: Indeed, but that's just ONE instance-- why not just put the object ITSELF there?

Well, say you've got a very polygon-heavy object that you want many copies of in a scene, but want them positioned/animated very accurately. You'd create several low-poly place-holder objects (e.g. boxes), then position/animate these as needed, then assign an instance of the polygon-heavy object to the pivot point of each place-holder (which you'd obviously make hidden).

Conversely, if you positioned/animated multiple copies of the actual polygon-heavy object "ITSELF" you'd pretty soon be burdened with a very cumbersome high-poly scene.

Does that make sense?

Regards,
Peter

jeric_synergy
06-17-2014, 08:20 AM
This might be good for a cityscape.

I was thinking it was awkward, but you could just clone the placeholder.

Dodgy
06-22-2014, 07:27 AM
It's better resource wise to have instances on nulls (in pivot mode) for a very poly heavy object than cloning, hence the option.