PDA

View Full Version : LW 11.5 and 9.3 issues?

objuan
06-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Not too long ago I got a new laptop, and have been running LW 11.5 on it and been pretty happy.

Recently, I've been working on a project with an old client and they are still using LW 9.3, nor do they have the resources to upgrade. So I installed LW 9.3 on my system in addition to LW 11.5, both of which live in their own folder in Program Files/Newtek/

Now LW 11.5 is jacked up. If I load an object in Modeler it comes up and I can look at it, but if I try to change anything it says object is read-only. The object isnt read-only. I created a new object and I cant create a box on it or anything.

Is there a way for me to have both LWs on my system without issues?

Danner
06-12-2014, 02:44 PM
The problem is the hub, you can't share the same hub with both apps.

objuan
06-12-2014, 03:03 PM
It does indeed seem to be the hub. I was able to work on some stuff for a while in just modeler, but once I got Modeler and Layout open, same "read-only" issue.

Any work arounds?

Or way to tell system right now I am running Modeler/Layout 9.3, forget I have 11.5, and vice versa?

spherical
06-12-2014, 03:10 PM
I have 12 versions of LW on one system. You just have to redirect your configs using the -c switch in a shortcut for 9.x and older to make sure that they are isolated. You can choose where to load/write them in a directory of your choice. I point them to: [LW-install-location]/Programs/configs . The newer versions are OK in the [user]/.Newtek folder where the installer puts them for each version; already separated.

Then, when switching between versions, ensure that the Hub of the one you are quitting is manually closed before starting the other version, which will fire its own Hub.

Before starting any of them, for the first time, you can either open your Hub config files and edit the lines, so that they point to the correct version for each application or trash them and let them write themselves.

objuan
06-12-2014, 03:52 PM
You just have to redirect your configs using the -c switch in a shortcut for 9.x and older to make sure that they are isolated.

Hi Spherical, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, how do I access this -c switch?

Thanks for your help.

spherical
06-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Create shortcuts for 9.3 Modeler, Layout and Hub.
Assuming the desired configs location is where I put mine relative to the install location, put this command line in the Target of each shortcut; changing modeler.exe for lightwav.exe and hub.exe in the Layout and Hub shortcuts, respectively (adjust your install path accordingly):

C:\Apps\3D\Lightwave\9.3\Programs\modeler.exe -c"C:\Apps\3D\Lightwave\9.3\Programs\configs\"

objuan
06-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Got it. Thanks!