PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating a ufo (please help)

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Hello fellow LightWavers:lwicon:,

I'm working on a "space~themed" project and i really need to place a UFO in there. My problem is this. . . i need a UFO with separated parts so that i can texture/animate them separately. I've attached a pic. of a UFO that i want to model mine after. If anyone has any knowledge on HOW to create this UFO and or know of a site that offers detailed UFO files (for free) please tell me a.s.a.p.

ernpchan
06-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Didn't you ask about this before?
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129483-Ufo-model-giveaway

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Yes, but that did not work out for me. i had to give up on that, so im here starting fresh.

ernpchan
06-10-2014, 12:47 PM
What about those files/links didn't help? That post is over a year old, did you make any progress on refining your skills? Someone might be able to help for free. If you have a budget to pay for a model that would get more interest.

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Didn't you ask about this before?
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129483-Ufo-model-giveaway

also, that UFO loaded into LW "all black" i could never see it :/

ernpchan
06-10-2014, 12:49 PM
You might need to turn on radiosity or something. Did you get prompted for a missing hdr image map?

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
What about those files/links didn't help? That post is over a year old, did you make any progress on refining your skills? Someone might be able to help for free. If you have a budget to pay for a model that would get more interest.

Did i make any progress on my skills? Yes/No :c
Since i had to rush another project...i was forced into using another 3d program. However, its not better than LW. thats why i want to start fresh here.

- - - Updated - - -

You might need to turn on radiosity or something. Did you get prompted for a missing hdr image map?

yes it did ask for a missing file...but i found it and reconnected it....still black. I'll check the radiosity.

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 12:58 PM
One more thing, is it possible to get a UFO model from (lets say) Google 3d warehouse and break it up into pieces in LW?

ernpchan
06-10-2014, 01:01 PM
One more thing, is it possible to get a UFO model from (lets say) Google 3d warehouse and break it up into pieces in LW?

Sure, that's just using basic boolean tools.

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 01:05 PM
everything looks normal, however the ship still renders out black.

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Sure, that's just using basic boolean tools.

i love how you make it sound so simple. Maybe I should start over---> I'm more of a surfacing/animator...not a modeler. looks like i need to watch a few basic modeler videos.

JoePoe
06-10-2014, 01:17 PM
everything looks normal, however the ship still renders out black.

If it's a highly reflective surface (it is a conductor node) you are probably just reflecting an all black background.
Try a gradient background real quick to see if anything changes.

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 01:24 PM
If it's a highly reflective surface (it is a conductor node) you are probably just reflecting an all black background.
Try a gradient background real quick to see if anything changes.

OMG good call.

JoePoe
06-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Cool.

So... are you all set, UFO-wise, now?

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 01:32 PM
ok...now, tell me this. How do i get away with using this same ship inside an all black space?...give or take a few stars

- - - Updated - - -

Cool.

So... are you all set, UFO-wise, now?

nope, cause i need it do be in space...it will eventually end up next to a planet, but i would like to see it fly through space before it reaches the planet.

ernpchan
06-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Render your ship with a different environment than just all black. Then comp it back on top of your black space. It has to look nice for the audience, not be technically accurate.

Space may be black but there's a lot of light being thrown around by stars.

JoePoe
06-10-2014, 01:35 PM
edit: posted before I saw your updated post.

As Ernpchan says.

and.... you can always take down the spec on the Conductor node to make it less reflective. 122248

OR change the surface altogether.

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 02:03 PM
edit: posted before I saw your updated post.

As Ernpchan says.

.... you can always take down the spec on the Conductor node to make it less reflective. 122248

OR change the surface altogether.

control disable...whats going on...i think im about to cry. 122249

JoePoe
06-10-2014, 02:07 PM
your spec is being controlled by the node flow plugged into it.

Light-ER-Wave
06-10-2014, 02:09 PM
this is what i did a while back. if you guys can tell me HOW to get this ship into LW, i would appreciate it. its already broken into different pieces, so i know that i would be able to texture it and get on with my life. BTW, the program that it was textured/animated in was Vue.

ernpchan
06-10-2014, 02:13 PM
See what Vue can export...obj, fbx...

JoePoe
06-10-2014, 04:47 PM
That is another super reflective ship.
If you're looking to recreate what you have in Vue you're gonna run into the same issue... texture wise.
The broken into pieces part.... you seem to know what you want/got.

Also, I believe Vue is Collada friendly... so if the other options don't work, try that.

jeric_synergy
06-10-2014, 05:14 PM
OP, you might want to follow a few basic tutorials -- it'll save you a lot of time.

XswampyX
06-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I have to agree with Jeric_Synergy. You need to walk before you can run.... or fly around the universe. :D

Try a custom spherical reflection map in the advanced section of your conductor node.... like so.

vonpietro
06-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Just thought i'd say I need to make a nice ufo for a project to, i found some great reference as well.

So if you want the ship affected by a background but dont want the background, you can separate them out using an alpha, and switch backgrounds to say the space.

in other words
you might want to just render the ufo with an alpha and composite into a separate "space" bg animation.

Have you tried the black space ball with an image map of stars on it for simulating space bg?
I used to use lots of points and lens flares for stars, but the points would jitter when the camera moved, now i heard using a hi res image of stars fixes the jitter problem with single point polys in a huge sphere of points. (hv kinda do the same thing but fix it to some degree.) also somebody wrote a stars plugin that rocks i forgot the name though, alittle expensive too.

erikals
06-12-2014, 12:13 AM
ok...now, tell me this. How do i get away with using this same ship inside an all black space?...give or take a few stars

as a newbie i had the same problem, the answer is, you can't...

you have to put in for example some illuminated polygons that the Ufo can reflect,
after that, select the illuminated object, go to Object properties / Render and turn on "Unseen by Camera"
> check 11 minutes into this video to see the effect... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv-OwTJFcxI#t=11m00s

alternatively, you could make the object reflect a fake environment / image map.
with the Ufo selected, go to the Surface Editor / Environment, and choose the image map your Ufo should reflect.