PDA

View Full Version : Batch Capture thru firewire

Rich Deustachio
11-23-2003, 01:13 PM
If I add a firewire card to my system, will it let me use it to batch capture from a Sony DSR-11 deck and input from the Y/C? I just want to use the firewire to control the deck since it isn't a 422 controlable deck.

SBowie
11-24-2003, 07:24 AM
I don't have a DSR-11, Rich, but I think it will work just fine...

Tom Wood
11-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Hey Rick,

I have a DSR11 and recently added firewire control to it. Be sure to mute the audio for the deck in the VT audio mixer, because it sends out an audio signal on the firewire that causes an echo effect when played out loud. (I have a physical mixer that the audio out from the VT card routes through.)

TW

Rich Deustachio
11-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the replies, any suggestion on the best input card to buy?

Dan Hong
11-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Amazingly, almost any OHCI compliant card will do. We use the Adaptec 4300. If you're going to have a multihead card and keep multiple devices attached. Spend the extra $20 on a better card. If it's just for a single device, the $29 variety will do.

Tom Wood
11-24-2003, 11:14 AM
I can't find the thread, or maybe it's on another forum (I get so confused :p ) but Eugene K. (scorpioprod) just responded to a similar question and I think he said something about a T1 chipset.

HTH

TW

ScorpioProd
11-24-2003, 11:53 AM
That's "TI", not "T1". As in Texas Instruments.

Tom Wood
11-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Ah, thanks Eugene!

BTW, how does everyone handle the power source to these decks like the DSR11 with the inline transformer? A power strip with a switch? When I plug mine in, it powers up, tells Windows it's here, causing a sound effect, then powers back to standby, telling Windows it's not here and causing another sound effect. So then I have to push the power button on the deck itself, which tells Windows it's here again... Is there a simple way to turn it on and off?

Dumb question, I know, but I have no pride when it comes to getting useful information. :p

Thanx!

TW

Rich Deustachio
11-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd
That's "TI", not "T1". As in Texas Instruments.

I can't seem to find any specs online that indicate what chip is used. Does the Adaptec 4300 use the "TI" chip?

ScorpioProd
11-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Unless the website specifically states what chipset is used, you really need to look at it in person.

Your local CompUSA should have at least a half dozen different types there.

Rich Deustachio
11-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks, I'll check Comp USA.

As far as power to the DSR-11 I run it through a UPS power unit along with my monitors and computer. I use the power switch on the DSR-11 to turn it on and off as needed.

Rich Deustachio
11-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Rich Deustachio
I can't seem to find any specs online that indicate what chip is used. Does the Adaptec 4300 use the "TI" chip?

I checked on the Adaptec site and found this.

"The Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" is the correct listing for the FireConnect/DVPics Plus adapter in Windows. Rather than being identified by model, Windows is identifying the adapter according to the Texas Instruments chipset on the AFW-4300 adapter.