PDA

View Full Version : Any one ever have a motherboard burn out a power supply?

danielkaiser
06-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Reinstalled my gigabyte MB into new case and added a new CPU cooler. Once completed plugged it in press the power button and nothing, OK, tried another PSU and yea fires up but no post, realised that I forgot to plugin the atx-12v plug well I plugged it in and nothing, unplug the atx connector and it fires up with no post, after trying this a few more times it stops responding at all, tested the PSU's both flat. Could this be the MB or just operator error either way its been a very frustrating day, on the upside I have a nice new Corsair case and water cooler. Tomorrow journeys in RMA land.:cursin::cursin::cursin:

spherical
06-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Without having that external power, the board traces cannot withstand the load. Now, how did you test the PSUs? If they have no load, they will do nothing and appear dead. So, it could be that the MB is fried, which would be the more likely scenario. Do the PSUs smell burned?

danielkaiser
06-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Without having that external power, the board traces cannot withstand the load. Now, how did you test the PSUs? If they have no load, they will do nothing and appear dead. So, it could be that the MB is fried, which would be the more likely scenario. Do the PSUs smell burned?

I have a PSU tester thingy. neither of the 2 would light up the tester, after digging up 3rd PSU the board did start up and then a trip to Best Buy and I'm feeling much better.

Another simple test to see if a PSU is toast is by shorting the green and any black wire on the 20/24 pin connector, at least you can tell if it will spin up or not.

jwiede
06-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Another simple test to see if a PSU is toast is by shorting the green and any black wire on the 20/24 pin connector, at least you can tell if it will spin up or not.

Fry's carries "ATX Power Supply Terminators" which are essentially just that, for folks using them for non-computer uses -- it just connects green to a nearby black and covers the others. ~$4 and quite useful, esp. if you've any plans to get into 3D printing or other "12V-hungry" maker tasks. I've got one on the 550W powering my MakerFarm Prusa i3v, and it works great.

The one oddity I've heard is that some ATX supplies will turn off after a while if there's no load drawn on the 5V, but none of the Antex or CoolerMaster ATX PSUs I have here behave that way. I only mention it as something someone might encounter at some point. The MakerFarm guys had a note about that in the instructions to wire up ATX supply to Prusa i3v.

spherical
06-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Ah, good. Many people are unaware of that. So, I take it that the MB is ok?

RTSchramm
06-14-2014, 07:51 PM
A bad pci card or CPU can cause a post to fail, so to test this you need to disconnect every device (including their power connectors) from the motherboard except the CPU, video card, and minimum memory. Also don't forget to connect the 8 pin power connector the the motherboard, and the small power jumper to the system power connector. Now test your system. On some systems like mine that has 64GB of memory, the motherboard I use requires also a floppy power connector for the extra memory.

If the system boots, try first adding extra memory, then each pci card, one at a time, and then the hard hard drive; of course you know to do this with the power cord removed from the computer before installing each device; the pci bus can have power even with the computer turned off.

Rich

danielkaiser
06-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Ah, good. Many people are unaware of that. So, I take it that the MB is ok?

Up and running fine, I did find a couple of bent pins on the CPU odd it had been running stable for over a year. I think the PSU problem was just a coincidence. The Corsair Air 540 case and the H100i water cooler have reduced my temps at idle by about 12 deg.