PDA

View Full Version : Scaling AE Interchange

JBT27
06-09-2014, 12:54 PM
I have a scene that, I admit, is big in measure - 25km on a side; a lot of historical mapping to put together and it was easier to work at 1:1. I could scale the whole thing down once plotted, but I didn't and started porting nulls to AE for comp, only to find positions at x = 567,387, and so on - everything with massive numbers, and scaling comped layers up requires around 50,000x, and so on. I know AE Link had/has a scaling setting for such circumstances, and I had an idea that AE Interchange does too, but apparently not.

So is scaling the LW scene down the best way not to get astronomical size positions and scales, etc., or am I missing a trick?

Thanks.

Julian.

raw-m
06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
I've no idea if this is of use but VFXwizards AElink for LW has the ability to change the scale of a scene when you send it through AE, ie, you can change the default from 100px to 1m to something more useful for this situation.

JBT27
06-10-2014, 01:57 AM
Thanks - yes, I knew about that - I'll give it a try I think.

Julian.

JBT27
06-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Well, I put AELink back in - had it for ages, used to use it but then switched to the native interchange ... that said, AELink is more sophisticated and the scaling setting is crucial: LW metres to AE pixels - the default is 100, but I've set my scene to 1. Now I'm getting sensible values to work with. I also hit the Particular 30,000 value limit, which was being griped about 5 years ago - still no change on that one. So far it seems my big scene has ported well with workable values for each null and camera.

The native one really needs that scaling setting.

Julian.

raw-m
06-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Good news then, kinda!

I've run into a similar Particular issue in the past but can't remember if I found a work around or an alternative method.

I noticed the other day there is a beta of the latest Particular, perhaps it's worth a shot(?).

http://www.trapcode.com/particular-beta-download/

JBT27
06-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks. I guess the LW AE Interchange will get some more attention as time goes on, but AELink is fuller featured, though still a sobering $122.95. Oh, and I was unclear about the default conversion: it's 100 AE pixels to 1m in LW. I don't know what the native one is.

I believe the workaround for the 30,000 limit in Particular is to use a Light Emitter, which does not have the same restriction - a guy was mithering about this back in 2009, and Peder Norby said he'd add it to the list for the developers to look at 'fixing', but clearly they haven't yet.

Thanks for the link - I'll take a look; I was wondering when Particular was going to get some more goodness.

Julian.

Edit - Ah, it's a bug fix release. Got all excited there for a minute.