PDA

View Full Version : bad flocking experience

bazsa73
06-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi,
I just wonder if anyone else have same experience with flocking.
I'm on a dual xeon pc, lw 11.6.2 and flocking freezes when it comes to rendering.
It renders after F9, when VPR is on, it freezes during an F10 render. It just keep freezing.
I had to bake a pfx file so I can load it into an emitter but that's not very convenient, though it works
at least.

ernpchan
06-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Hm, I've never done a F10 render without caching the sim first. Especially since I do most of my rendering on a farm.

Is it crashing on a specific frame?

Even if it's not this would still be worth reporting as a bug.

bazsa73
06-08-2014, 10:54 AM
I tried both the cached and non cached way. In any cases crash happens without warning. It crashed usually halfway through the render.
But as I said it crashed after every F9 too so it is quite useless. Fortunately I found the PFX workaround.
Yes, I sent a fogbugz report to the dev team with the scene. But on the other hand all scenes freezes I do with flocking.
Must be a gigabug.

jeric_synergy
06-08-2014, 12:39 PM
How many agents?

lardbros
06-08-2014, 01:51 PM
I tried flocking for the first time last week... Rendered out 50 crows, flapping their wings as they flew.
I'm not overly enamoured by the settings in the flocking panel, I seemed to come across a few issues, and this was the first time I'd used it.

Flickering of the crows, they're at a distance, but no matter what I do (Aside from scale them up a lot) they flicker off every other frame.
Agent size seems to be conflicting with the instance sizes too.
Defaults for flocking and agents is pretty useless for most things... And the variance tab seems like a peculiar way to organise randomisation.

jeric_synergy
06-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Flocking issues:
I'm not so into it yet that I can comment on the actual performance, but let's talk UI:

In the flock master panel, the COLOR column is display-only-- that is, you cannot change the color in the column itself by, as one might expect from other elements of the UI (eg the SE) Right Clicking. (On the plus side, I like that you can use any color and not just 12 preset colors for the items.)

The main column continues the lame practice of various LW panels in not implementing RIGHT CLICK functionality in lists at all: you have do everything thru the stupid "EDIT..." dropdown, which is a very slow way of doing things.

Additionally, the FLOCK MASTER PANEL does not toggle, like the Surface Editor and the OSE do, which is convenient in bringing the Panel back to the front/top of the Panels Pile.

I'm not sure why Agent Counts have decimals attached to them-- surely they can only be integers?

Plenty of UI LHF there to address.

Greenlaw
06-08-2014, 11:27 PM
The problem I had with Flocking on the last few jobs I used it on has been the opposite: Flocking works great until I submit it to the farm for rendering, then, I just get black frames. This doesn't matter if I use the cache or .pfx to bake the animation. If I render Flocking locally though, using F10, it works fine. FWIW, I'm not convinced this is a problem with Flocking itself but I haven't been able to figure out what it is about our farm at work that prevents Flocking from rendering on it. (Then again, we've been so busy there I haven't had much chance to look into the issue.)

Just wondering if anybody else was seeing problems when using Flocking on a render farm. We're using Deadline at work but I'm having similar problems with Flocking and BNR 5 in my home studio. That makes me think it's an lwsn problem but it sounds like some users are not seeing problems with Flocking and network rendering. Very frustrating.

G.

lardbros
06-09-2014, 06:37 AM
The problem I had with Flocking on the last few jobs I used it on has been the opposite: Flocking works great until I submit it to the farm for rendering, then, I just get black frames. This doesn't matter if I use the cache or .pfx to bake the animation. If I render Flocking locally though, using F10, it works fine. FWIW, I'm not convinced this is a problem with Flocking itself but I haven't been able to figure out what it is about our farm at work that prevents Flocking from rendering on it. (Then again, we've been so busy there I haven't had much chance to look into the issue.)

Just wondering if anybody else was seeing problems when using Flocking on a render farm. We're using Deadline at work but I'm having similar problems with Flocking and BNR 5 in my home studio. That makes me think it's an lwsn problem but it sounds like some users are not seeing problems with Flocking and network rendering. Very frustrating.

G.

Not had an issue with black frames on the farm, using flocking... we use LW2Backburner script, and it appears to be fine with most things so far.

DP Sky plugins have to be within the LW Directory, rather than in a plugin folder external to it
My flocking attempts just rendered out flickering birds. They may have been small, but they shouldn't flicker like that!

Also, tried saving the flocks as a .PFX in the first instance, and they kept losing the 'Rotation' setting in the PFX menu. Wanted it to set to particles, but it kept changing it back to default after loading the scene again. (Arrrrgh!! But this, I've been told, has been fixed for whatever they release next.)

bazsa73
06-09-2014, 06:42 AM
I am okay with the UI and some nice things can be done with it especially using envelopes on agent attributes.
The annoyance started at the rendering stage.

jeric_synergy
06-09-2014, 09:00 AM
You're wayyyyyyy too easy going on the UI: there're easy fixes all over it, and all the other subsystems that share that style.

I'd say Greenlaw has the most pressing issue though.

Greenlaw
06-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Not had an issue with black frames on the farm, using flocking... we use LW2Backburner script, and it appears to be fine with most things so far.
Yeah, that's what's been maddening about it--I know it's been working fine for other artists/studios, but I'm seeing the issue at work and at home with two different render controllers using different sets of configs. It's gotta be a local problem, and probably a coincidence that a similar problem exists in the two locations where I use LightWave.

When we get a break, I think I'm going to remove everything and reinstall from scratch--that will probably be easier than trying to troubleshoot this issue.

G.

ianr
06-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Fog-BuzZ it & send a P.M. 2 James Willmott he's the Dev.

Greenlaw
06-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I know. The thing iis I need to fully document the problem and provide content that will reliably reproduce it at their end--otherwise, the fog is pointless because all I have at the moment is "it's not working here but it works for everybody else." :)

I think my schedule will be slowing down in the next few weeks, and I should have time to look into this then. (And a bunch of other issues I'm seeing with 11.6.3.)

G.

bazsa73
06-09-2014, 04:17 PM
You're wayyyyyyy too easy going on the UI: there're easy fixes all over it, and all the other subsystems that share that style.

I'd say Greenlaw has the most pressing issue though.

Maybe yes. LW forces the brain to find workarounds all the time so I unnotice minor UI glitches. Lol.

bazsa73
06-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Hello Giys
Good news, the developers fixed the problem. Thank you Newtek Dev Team!

lardbros
06-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Which problem have they fixed? Your initial crashing issue?
Hooray... That's one down!

bazsa73
06-11-2014, 12:56 AM
Yes, the original issue. I should fogbug more often but when I'm in production just don't have the nerve and energy.

lardbros
06-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Yeah, it can be a pain to re-produce content on a simpler scene, as most of the time it doesn't work.

I tend to keep a (large) list of issues as I'm going through projects, and then at the end try and enter them all into FogBugz.
Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen.

I'm currently having some weird issues using Instancing, and flocking but can't nail it down on a simpler scene! :(