PDA

View Full Version : Bas relief for 3D printing?

Nangleator
06-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Getting into 3D printing now, and 3D has become new again for me. Lots of questions.

How would you go about a bas relief effect of a character for a pendant or other piece of flat jewelry?

My first thought was, rotate the model until it was perpendicular to the camera, posed as I wanted. Scale it along the Z axis, add a plane at zero on the Z. Perhaps smooth them together with 3D Coat. Would this work?

Another idea, pose the model, drop that plane through perpendicular to the camera, then just render a depth map. Use the depth map to make a new model, using displacement. The 8-bit limit of a grayscale depth map suggests this might not be as detailed.

Thoughts?

Rayek
06-07-2014, 05:40 PM
The quick solution to create bass reliefs would be this Blender add-on:

http://blendercam.blogspot.ca/p/bas-relief-addon.html

Also check out their gallery - some good stuff.

lertola2
06-07-2014, 08:34 PM
If you don't need your bas relief mesh to be very dense you could use the Heat Shrink tool in modeler to push a flat mesh onto your model. I was able to do that fairly easily with a grid of a total of 160,000 polygons. However with denser meshes modeler slows down so much that it is practically unusable. I would use Zbrush to do this. Zbrush has a brush called Matchmaker which is similar to Lightwave's Heat Shrink tool but you can use it on meshes that have millions of polygons.