PDA

View Full Version : How to recreate this

JohnMarchant
06-06-2014, 02:50 AM
Im trying to recreate this in LW 11.6.3, using gradients and procedurals. Im after the different colour horizontal strippy effect on the rock face.

Anyone can help out would be great, ive tried slope but obviously it does not work on a flat face.

Regards and thanks122192

jeric_synergy
06-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Gradient with Y as input? And then somehow skew the Y? W/perhaps a Displacement layer to add some randomness?

JohnMarchant
06-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks jeric will try that

prometheus
06-06-2014, 12:10 PM
there must be a procedural with stripe option or banding, maybe use corrugate on x axis and set rotation values properly.
you could also try dunes with proper settings.
The pipes procedural from dpont would probably also be fitting If you set v frequency to zero.

Same with the maze procedural, and probably a whole lot of others, which might be easier to edit amount of "stripes" than setting it up per gradient.

jeric_synergy
06-06-2014, 01:23 PM
122203 Here's a quick thing, you could set it to repeat. I couldn't get the texture displacement to work-- unsurprising, since it's the first time I tried.

The test object was a Layout "cube" 1x3x1.

Since the banding is related to space, I was not able to rotate it to get any sort of slant. I'd be interested in hearing how to do that.

jeric_synergy
06-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Oh, here we go:

The displacing texture needs to be BELOW the layer it is displacing. Not intuitive for me, but there ya go. (I think in PShop it's the other 'way 'round. :twak: ) Same *.surf as before, just swap the layers.

Still no rotation, but....

prometheus
06-06-2014, 01:58 PM
well..you can use procedurals instead and rotate that, but neither gradient or procedureal will let the strata lines follow mountain ridge structure where it actually change direction and more follow that structure, so I reckon it might actually be better
to paint it on to the model or creating a texture map in photoshop.

you could use procedural types as I mentioned before in bumpchannel to also give it a little depth, then simply use the bump gradient in the color channel and make different colors in that so the bump strata/banding getīs different colors...using pipe from dpont let you control amount of banding/levels and size of them.

Michael

jeric_synergy
06-06-2014, 02:33 PM
If you mean like follow the top of the mountain, yeah. That would be a job for UVs, no?

JohnMarchant
06-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, im getting a mixture of gradients and procedurals to where i want them. Its getting the combination just right, its only subtle colour changes but thats what i need.

Thanks also jeric for the scene and setup image it helped.