PDA

View Full Version : Why won't this depth map save?

Snosrap
06-04-2014, 10:02 PM
I've tried all different saving extensions -jpg, exr, bmp, png - you name it and all I get is a blank white picture.

Lewis
06-05-2014, 02:50 AM
won't save or you just can't see it (other than white) in your composting software ? I presume it's AE ?

sukardi
06-05-2014, 04:26 AM
The depth value are all bigger than 1. That is why you see all white.

Try this solution. Save in exr. In your compositing software, try multiply by 0.01 or 0.001 depending the scale of your scene. You should be able to see the gradient.

inkpen3d
06-05-2014, 05:10 AM
If you have a "normalise image" facility in your compositor (in Fusion its the button with a pair of grey-scale gradients), activating normalise image will shoehorn the brightness range of your depth pass into the display range of your monitor.

Lewis
06-05-2014, 05:31 AM
you also ca just render EXRFP it in LW with Normalise option ON and it'll work in AE without adjusting it too ;).

Snosrap
06-05-2014, 07:25 AM
won't save or you just can't see it (other than white) in your composting software ? I presume it's AE ? Yes it's all white. I just want to do a Lens Blur in PS.

Snosrap
06-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Here is a YouTube video - please what am I doing wrong? Have I overlooked something really simple? :) Thanks for the help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC7G7j3Day8

Every4thPixel
06-06-2014, 02:21 AM
That looks like a buy to me. You could make a print screen but that would limit the dynamic range to 8 bits.
You can also use an image filter to save the z-depth.

Ma3rk
06-06-2014, 06:33 PM
I've tried all different saving extensions -jpg, exr, bmp, png - you name it and all I get is a blank white picture.

Well, the obvious answer is: Evil Spirits!

Seriously though, I've had quirky things happen saving from an F9 render that I never did track down. If you haven't already, I'd do a full system restart just to assure that you're not chasing your tail with some spurious display issue.

Obviously it's displaying with your F9 render, but is there some other buffer that's taking precedence when you save out? What image or pixel filters are you using?

Secondly, have you tried a single frame F10 render?

Although I wouldn't think it would matter with a jpg, but have you checked what mode in Photoshop your image is opening up in?

I'm sure it'll end up being something forehead smackingly simple when you track it down.

M.

Snosrap
06-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Well I've had to work on another project today and was saving out depth maps just fine. BTW, I did have a forced restart of LW due to a crash, so I guess restarting did the trick.