PDA

View Full Version : Fracture Question

Amurrell
06-03-2014, 06:38 AM
Is there a good way to keep stray polys from separating from the main fractured pieces? Here's an image.

So far the only thing that I can do is weld all of this stuff together in Modeler, but that could take a long time. Any tips?

EDIT: I think the issue with coming up with a lot of objects like this is from using background points, there is still a small issue but not quite to the extent as the example when pre cutting the object and using it's own points.

prometheus
06-03-2014, 08:34 AM
seems you are not doing the fracture correctly, and need to delete excess geometry or points...check this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqexUbvLTxg

Amurrell
06-03-2014, 09:43 AM
It's actually just a hollow block, that's it. I used spray points as the points to use in the background to fracture the object. Using the knife tool to give extra point to the shape and foregoing the spray points method yielded better results, but still had a stray poly or two. Using background shapes (spheres) worked slightly better, but can't remember the results too well since I abandoned the method for the other two. Oh well.

Thomas Leitner
06-03-2014, 10:32 AM
It's actually just a hollow block, that's it. I used spray points as the points to use in the background to fracture the object. Using the knife tool to give extra point to the shape and foregoing the spray points method yielded better results, but still had a stray poly or two. Using background shapes (spheres) worked slightly better, but can't remember the results too well since I abandoned the method for the other two. Oh well.

I donīt know a solution to avoid junk geometry, aside using another software than LW to fracture objects. But here is a way to find and delete it:
Go to a frame of your simulation where all the junk objects left behind and stays in the air. Save this state as endomorph. Save the object. In Modeler choose the new endomorph and select the junk geometry. Delete it.

Maybe this is useful for someone.
ciao
Thomas

Skonk
06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Was the object long and thin before you fractured it?

It works better if the polygons are relatively square and especially dislikes very long, thin polygons so it's a good idea run some cuts through the object to even out of the polys before you fracture it.

Amurrell
06-05-2014, 09:26 AM
The object itself was not long and thin, but perhaps one of the cuts I made was a long thin area. I have what I need for now, but I will practice some more and see what I come up with.

kopperdrake
09-23-2014, 09:27 AM
I donīt know a solution to avoid junk geometry, aside using another software than LW to fracture objects. But here is a way to find and delete it:
Go to a frame of your simulation where all the junk objects left behind and stays in the air. Save this state as endomorph. Save the object. In Modeler choose the new endomorph and select the junk geometry. Delete it.

Maybe this is useful for someone.
ciao
Thomas

Thanks Thomas - you saved my bacon :)