PDA

View Full Version : Fiberous particles?

objuan
06-02-2014, 04:01 PM
I am wanting to do some animations moving and spinning nulls around which emit some particles, and occasionally, lots of particles. I can rig that with emitter nulls parented to other nulls to get the spinning motions.

Ideally though, I would like each particle to more or less be a fiber that trails itself as the emitter/particle moves around. Picture threads on a pom-pom trailing the stick as it gets whirled around, except it is a psychedelic pom-pom from the Xth dimension. Or, kind of a similar effect to those old iPod commercials where they left glowing trails as sexy silhouette youngins twirled around.

Any tips, tuts, or directions would be much appreciated...

Dodgy
06-02-2014, 09:39 PM
There's the Jetstream FX plugin from Dstorm.co.jp might be something to look at.

jeric_synergy
06-02-2014, 09:41 PM
It's only tangentially related, but what was that "trails" effect that was demo'd several SIGGRAPH/NABs ago? That's a great effect.... A NewTek staffer/temp demo'd it extensively.

prometheus
06-03-2014, 07:44 AM
I have messed a bit with such trails...I got some sample somewhere but canīt find it right now, heres a clip sample of similar stuff though...you would like the particular trapcode style I guess..or some sweet particle fx like the lexus car particle effects I reckon.

you could also just use objects and maybe spin those around, emitt from either vertices or from object line, this sample is a simple cube..the motion isnīt keyframed, instead I used fx motion on the cube and gave it some rotation from the fx motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX4o5W6MScQ

To jeric_synergy, I think that was greg sullivans streamers tutorial, but that was with geometry ..a nice tech, but lacks that particle density feel you get from particles alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Y9mpsmzCc

The downside with lighwave particles for this type, well..lightwave need better particle handling of huge amount, we can now render millions, but at cooking cost in time, lightwave could also use
particle subframe calculation to fill in gaps and distance between particle gradients to help with the looks of it all.

erikals
06-03-2014, 07:51 AM
there is a plugin somewhere that creates motion paths from an emitter, might be of help...

can't recall where it is though... :l

edit: ah, update, think it's this one...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/pfx-to

prometheus
06-03-2014, 08:03 AM
there is a plugin somewhere that creates motion paths from an emitter, might be of help...

can't recall where it is though... :l

edit: ah, update, think it's this one...

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/pfx-to
Donīt think that is what he needs though, useful for getting particle paths to geometry ..but I donīt see how that would be of help for the type of particle effect he is after.
jetstream had this nice option of doubling the particle effects ..all in openGL view too, could be useful, it helps fill in where particles move too fast and gaps occours.

jeric_synergy
06-03-2014, 08:45 AM
you could also just use objects and maybe spin those around, emitt from either vertices or from object line, this sample is a simple cube..the motion isnīt keyframed, instead I used fx motion on the cube and gave it some rotation from the fx motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX4o5W6MScQ
huh wuuut? (What is "fx motion"?)

--Yeah, it was the "streamers" video.

prometheus
06-03-2014, 08:57 AM
huh wuuut? (What is "fx motion"?)

--Yeah, it was the "streamers" video.

fx motion is applied in the object motion tab "m" then add modifier- fx motion, from there you can apply rotations and motion upon the object so it has vector velocity on position and rotation without doing manual keyframing of an objects motions, it can also work in use to send a spaceship crashing in to a wal in conjunctionl with bullet dynamics, but you need to take some steps and check make key for that to work, it takes the work out of manually setting motion of an object if that is what you want, in many cases you might prefer to just keyframe it though.

Michael

prometheus
06-03-2014, 09:08 AM

jeric_synergy
06-03-2014, 10:28 AM
fx motion is applied in the object motion tab "m" then add modifier- fx motion, from there you can apply rotations and motion upon the object so it has vector velocity on position and rotation without doing manual keyframing of an objects motions, it can also work in use to send a spaceship crashing in to a wal in conjunctionl with bullet dynamics, but you need to take some steps and check make key for that to work, it takes the work out of manually setting motion of an object if that is what you want, in many cases you might prefer to just keyframe it though.
Michael
Thanks Michael: ??? That seems like an odd feature. What are the advantages to using fx_motion over keyframing?? Is it maybe a holdover from before pre/post behaviours?

prometheus
06-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks Michael: ??? That seems like an odd feature. What are the advantages to using fx_motion over keyframing?? Is it maybe a holdover from before pre/post behaviours?

well..you donīt have any keyframes to wrestle with, so it might be easier to apply rotation force on it, and if you send off an object to move in one direction, you can do so with true velocity values, and if you want to rotate that object ...you can do so quite easy in terms of setting desired rotation angles and go back and change it quite easy, also giving it weight etc.

Downside...it wonīt work well(or at all) with predefined motion paths, only straight directional motion it seems, unless parenting the fx motion applied object to a null I think.
Edited....do not work on parenting actually it seems.
Iīm no expert on this though..I actually not long ago started to mess with it.
the resistance option will let you control a slow down of the motion as if there were air resistence or a car slowing down, also if you hit play and change the values of the velocity etc, you can see it interactivly how the motion
goes, to bad though it doesnīt seem to work with curved motion paths, maybe there is a workaround on that?

My particle sample was wrongly described, that motion path was only keyframed.