PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate Lightwave monitor !

blackmondy
06-02-2014, 09:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWFw6kXDKC0

ianr
06-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Well well,
Is that actually 1 bent LCD cast to that angle?
Or 2 normal ones abutted together with a angled bezel?

jeric_synergy
06-02-2014, 11:44 AM
I'd actually quite like that. Would've been far more convincing w/a signal going to the monitors.

I'm guessing it's just 2 monitors, but I like the arrangement.

m.d.
06-02-2014, 12:33 PM
its 2 monitors....you can adjust the display properties for each

raw-m
06-02-2014, 02:53 PM
FUGLY! I'd much rather have one of these:
http://www.lg.com/uk/ultrawide/UM95.m

jeric_synergy
06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
I'm thinking there's going to QUITE a difference in price point.

Considering I'm getting along OK with 2 monitors and a big ugly gap, the 3mm gap on the former device is probably just fine for me and my wallet.

spherical
06-02-2014, 04:31 PM
I've got two VX Viewsonics; a 2453 and 2753. The brainiacs decided that the right side of the right-hand bezel is a great place to put the adjustment buttons. This requires the monitors to be a finger width + apart. Used to be they were on the front, where you could more easily get to them. So much for ergonomics. Might be a cleaner look but, Duh. It's as if they don't know that people use more than one monitor.

As a result, I get extra exercise for my right arm and shoulder by frequently switching inputs on the 27". The 23" is on a KVMP switch but the second monitor isn't, so has to be manually changed over. Reaching to the extreme right edge of a 27" that is at a comfortable viewing distance, is a bit of a stretch. Adding a third monitor will exacerbate the situation.

BokadCastle
06-02-2014, 05:06 PM
The 23" is on a KVMP switch but the second monitor isn't, so has to be manually changed over. ..... Adding a third monitor will exacerbate the situation.
I can't quite imagine your full system.

Anyway, I have 2 desktops and two monitors, all linked.
I don't use a KVMP, I use "Mouse without Borders" - free from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460

spherical
06-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Interesting, and may fit in somehow, but I have two monitors that both run on two machines. (Each machine runs an extended desktop.) Primary monitor for each is the 2453 on the left, hooked through the KVMP. The 2753 on the right has inputs going to each machine and has to be manually switched over in order to get the second monitor to the same desktop as the primary. LW is spread across the desktop; Layout on the left, Modeler on the right. Their panels are arranged on the monitor opposite; Layout's panels on the right monitor, Modeler's panels on the left monitor. If I understand how Mouse Without Borders works, the two monitors are each dedicated to one machine; not spanned. MWB on Extended Desktop would work if there were four monitors; two each machine.

jeric_synergy
06-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Spherical, I think I have the same monitors as you! I just bit the bullet and put the small on the left. (Maybe I don't: the small has front controls.)

I luvz me sum ViewSonic.

kopperdrake
06-03-2014, 01:51 AM
I like it, a lot. The ultra wide LCD in the link above is all well and good if you're sat back at a decent viewing distance, but up close you're going to be swaying in your chair to see details on the far left and right edges.

The upside of two separate monitors is the same as anything that you can buy integrated or as separates. If one breaks, you've lost them both (or ended up with a very expensive note-taking chalk-board on one side). I quite like the fact I can upgrade my 'main' monitor, and then shuffle the old main monitor to the right as my secondary display. The old secondary display then gets farmed out to anyone in the family that would like a bigger monitor :)

gerry_g
06-07-2014, 05:19 PM
That is so last century, think this is the sort of thing need to look at, it's what I'm considering ATM http://www.lg.com/uk/ultrawide/UM95.m

BokadCastle
06-07-2014, 07:41 PM
it's what I'm considering ATM
The current DisplayPort version is 1.2 - 1.2a and supports 4K, perhaps @60Hz but the gamers are saying @30Hz.

The new version, 1.3, is due Q2 2014.
Virtually now.
It supports 8K @ 60Hz.

I'll adopt a wait and watch mode.

http://www.displayport.org/

Edit: click the Display 8K button.

gerry_g
06-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Good to know, but LG says yes to 60Hz with a Thunderbolt Two cable on a New Mac Pro which is what I intend, gamers are probably saying otherwise because Thunderbolt Two is not generally available on PC AFAIK so they are currently stuck with the slower 30Hz over Mini Display Port, I know the spec is due to be rolled out for PC but I am not even sure if Windows Eight supports Thunderbolt two yet and I don't think Windows Seven will ever support it, but yes I think to wait it out a month or so and see if there is a refresh might be best option.

raw-m
06-08-2014, 06:35 AM
How much are they selling for, gerry? I just assumed "a lot"!

jasonwestmas
06-08-2014, 08:19 AM
It doesn't work, the screen is all black.

ianr
06-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Ugh!,

I roll it up,then put in it's shoulder tube & go

Now... That's Sooo Next century?

gerry_g
06-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Amazon US has it listed for $1,476.99 but says "This item will be released on June 24, 2014." so maybe this is the refresh that is imminent and I mistakenly thought was already out, I seem to remember seeing a UK price of over 2k Sterling somewhere, still gonna wait and see it's not the price but the size they worries me it's kind of small, more like a stretched 27" than a stretched 30" which is what I'm really after.

Tartiflette
06-08-2014, 04:18 PM
How much are they selling for, gerry? I just assumed "a lot"!
Around 1000 in Europe, so that would be ~850 in UK, not that pricey if you consider the space you have for docking virtually any palette, but i won't buy one as it would be too large for my desk ! :D
Anyway a cool monitor if the panel quality is up to the expectations.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

raw-m
10-27-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm very tempted, in stock next week. Anyone know anyone with one similar and how they're getting on with it?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-120-LG&adword=google/pla&gclid=CL2Vk-ngyMECFazItAodNSIASA