PDA

View Full Version : LW lightning - best method?

vonpietro
06-01-2014, 02:03 AM
anyone know how to make convincing lightning in lw?

I recall some plug in to make 2point polys, and using 2point polys.
I was wondering if there are any new methods for making a nice branched lightning strike.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lightning&id=28D15BC5DED0239882D20B0B87B11440BE86CBDA&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=7F2F1380DC8185E2FE518FA956023D38D9C6A9C4&selectedIndex=8

looks like a flare point, hot main branch, but not as hot side branches, and a white glow all around.

any pointers on making this in 11.6 and animating something like that? Would you still use 2point polys? try lots of points with HV's
just looking to see what kind of results others have gotten for lw lightning.
thanks
peter

AndrewMarch
06-01-2014, 02:05 AM
Always found it easier to make in post rather than Layout.

quakebox
06-01-2014, 03:09 AM
You could use an Animated Texture of a lighting, for example a program like after effects could generate the lightning texture, you render that texture into an animated picture file then load that file on a plane in Lightwave Layout and play with the parameters there.

It's all about the illusion there are so many tricks.

hope it was helpful.

Danner
06-01-2014, 04:24 AM
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Verdure/DP_Verdure.html

It's really meant to make trees, but it can be used to create branches for lighting.

prometheus
06-01-2014, 05:19 AM
well inside lightwave, you could use dponīt_tree plugin as danner mentioned, then rotate the branch afterwards(think it will crash if you enable it with polys in -y direction.), use the skeleton mode. there was an old plugin available many years ago especially for this in lightwave but I donīt know about that now.

otherwise you are better off if you have after effects and just use the advanced ligthning...and just composite it on to the sequence.

Michael

Ryan Roye
06-01-2014, 09:31 AM
It's an interesting question without a real clear answer... i've been trying to find the right balance between quality output and speedy lighting workflows for years and am still alternating between a bunch of methods:

1) Use invisible luminous polygons to light the scene using GI (radiosity). Bake the textures, light foreground elements separately. This gets tricky in some scenarios that involve complex surfacing setups, however. Forget shadow changes using this method... inflexible but can look good and renders efficiently.

2) Light the scene on a per-shot basis. Nothing off the camera matters (except for reflections). This, of course, is a slower-rendering solution... and it can be difficult to get nice light-bleeding effects offered by GI.

3) Use neutral lighting and composite-adjust everything. While flexible and can yield high quality results, I've found this method to be time-consuming in complex situations.

4) In some cases, lighting is more dependent on surfacing than the actual lights used.

My suggestion of course is to explore the solutions presented here and elsewhere and pick one you feel works best for the kinds of projects you work on most often.

prometheus
06-01-2014, 09:44 AM
It's an interesting question without a real clear answer... i've been trying to find the right balance between quality output and speedy lighting workflows for years and am still alternating between a bunch of methods:

1) Use invisible luminous polygons to light the scene using GI (radiosity). Bake the textures, light foreground elements separately. This gets tricky in some scenarios that involve complex surfacing setups, however. Forget shadow changes using this method... inflexible but can look good and renders efficiently.

2) Light the scene on a per-shot basis. Nothing off the camera matters (except for reflections). This, of course, is a slower-rendering solution... and it can be difficult to get nice light-bleeding effects offered by GI.

3) Use neutral lighting and composite-adjust everything. While flexible and can yield high quality results, I've found this method to be time-consuming in complex situations.

4) In some cases, lighting is more dependent on surfacing than the actual lights used.

My suggestion of course is to explore the solutions presented here and elsewhere and pick one you feel works best for the kinds of projects you work on most often.

Chazriker..I think the thread is about lightning bolts and strikes, not actual scene lighting techniques.:D
And to von pietro, if you got after effects, use that instead..otherwise you of course could use lightwave with some trickery mentioned above, maybe get some high quality photage of some striking and map that
on some plates or use textured environment etc.

prometheus
06-01-2014, 10:28 AM
hereīs a very simple dpont_tree creation with only a few branches in line mode(I think I wrongly mentioned skeleton mode before)
it will automaticly be a polychain and render as such, and using corona for some glow, also using a distance to pivot gradient so the luminosity fade out the lightning forks..aproximatly as you do with fork decay in after effects.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=122136&d=1401639996

Michael

vonpietro
06-01-2014, 10:41 AM
thanks everyone,
i dont have AE anymore, although i used to use it alot.

"also using a distance to pivot gradient so the luminosity fade out " thats a nifty trick
my friend dave was extolling the vitures of gradients, that seems to be a good one!

i'm going to try that tree plug in, been looking for a way to make some nice trees, so thanks for that tip to.
just looking at the manual - wow it's pretty nice!!
pete

prometheus
06-01-2014, 11:17 AM
thanks everyone,
i dont have AE anymore, although i used to use it alot.

"also using a distance to pivot gradient so the luminosity fade out " thats a nifty trick
my friend dave was extolling the vitures of gradients, that seems to be a good one!

i'm going to try that tree plug in, been looking for a way to make some nice trees, so thanks for that tip to.
just looking at the manual - wow it's pretty nice!!
pete

just remember..I donīt think you can create the poly plate/dummy geometry at the bottom in a negative -y axis..I think it will crash..so better to just create the branch as it was intended for a tree..reduce the tree branch amount and use the line mode..
and after that ..you rotate it or flip it so the branches goes the other direction.

DonJMyers
06-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Don't forget LW's "GLOW" option in the processing tab and the plugin "flare2alpha" to put the glow in the alpha channel.