PDA

View Full Version : Question about extruding open edge border using point normals like Maya and 3Ds Max

quakebox
06-01-2014, 01:50 AM
I have a question on how could I extrude an open Edge Border over its average normal like in Maya you could select an edge border extrude then adjust the thickness automatically the edge border will be extruded along its average normal, I need this to model car parts like the hood and doors and reduce the amount of polygons created instead of using the thickness tool, now how could I do this in LightWave?

please help...

probiner
06-01-2014, 02:19 AM
- Copy mesh
- Select all Polygons and Multishift
- Flip polygons, Paste. Merge.

Cheers

quakebox
06-01-2014, 02:28 AM
Good idea, but I have to delete the other half generated by the multishift, any other more practical way, this one will cost a lot of time.

As you examine in here I deleted the back of this object, because the result after doing the steps you mentioned gave the same result as Thickness command.

probiner
06-01-2014, 02:42 AM
Yes I was too hasty to answer :)

The actual edge I think there's no way to extrude it. Since you know... LW and edge based operations are not solid.

So you will have to delete the extra polygons after the Extrusion/Shift.

Cheers

quakebox
06-01-2014, 02:54 AM
Thanks I managed to get the trick :) I really hope someone write a script to solve this, as you mentioned "edge extrude operations are not very solid in Lightwave" I believe it can be done but a new script maybe have to be written, believe me even Maya and Max have issues no complete tool out there, sometimes I have to Script in MEL to create simple operations like an Array which can be done in Lightwave with a click of a button, anyhow,

Thanks again mate :)

djwaterman
06-01-2014, 05:19 AM
Here's another method, if indeed what you are trying to do is create the idea that the car panels have thickness when viewed from outside, but in fact they just have extruded edges. You can just use the Thicken tool, and make sure the create new surfaces boxes are checked. then after the thickening operation, use the polygon statistics panel (W) and choose the surface named "Thickened" and then delete it, you will then be left with the original geometry, plus the extrude edges but no internal geometry on the other side.

Oedo 808
06-01-2014, 05:56 AM
I would probably select the polys* > Extend > Move Plus + RMB. Move Plus with RMB can be a bit funky with sharp angles so using thicken as suggested with contour mode can be the better option, but most of the time the former is what I use. That's if I understand the aim correctly.

*Generally in LW nothing being selected is interchangeable with everything being selected, but in this instance it may not work properly if you don't select the desired polygons first.