PDA

View Full Version : New user

Spaceland
05-28-2014, 07:42 AM
Hello Lightwave Community,

I just bought Lightwave 3D today, so I am new to Lightwave (played a little bit with the demo) so I will be around asking questions and show my work.

Have a nice day.

ernpchan
05-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Ryan Roye
05-28-2014, 07:53 AM
Welcome!

I recommend reading through this thread for some quick tips... it's a sticky on this forum, lots of good stuff in there that might not be easy to find in the Lightwave manual but will save you tons of time, or add a bit of convenience to your experience.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139165-Basic-stuff-Lightwave-users-should-know-but-are-not-so-obvious

inkpen3d
05-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Greetings.

If you haven't already found them, there are a lot of useful video tutorials to be found here:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/?page=1

and here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialLightWave3D/videos

Have fun!

Regards,
Peter

Spaceland
05-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Thank you all

I already got the YouTube video in my list. I will read the thread that it is sticky, saw it this morning.

And I will go thru everyone of the video I can and tutorials.

Regards

scratch33
05-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Welcome aboard Spaceland.

Have fun with lightwave.

Amuse toi bien!!!

rednova
05-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Amigo:
Welcome to the lightwave forum !!!
I have good news, there are tutorials available for every aspect of modeling
and animation with lightwave.I have no links off the top of my head, but they
are all available.
Enjoy !!!

hazmat777
05-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Although this came out several versions/years ago, I still reference it. Pick up a used copy and have fun!

http://www.amazon.com/Lightwave-3D-1001-Tips-Tricks/dp/1556220901

Hail
05-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the lw family:)
Cheers!

BeeVee
05-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Welcome Spaceland! We're all here to help, don't hesitate to ask if you run into something confusing.

B

oliversimonnet
05-29-2014, 06:15 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Spaceland
05-29-2014, 08:16 PM
thank you for all the input everyone.

regards

vector
05-30-2014, 01:13 AM
Welcome!Maybe you find useful my blog. Take a look to mi sign :) and sorry for the mini-Spam

Spaceland
05-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Welcome!Maybe you find useful my blog. Take a look to mi sign :) and sorry for the mini-Spam

no spam there. I will take a look. I have found simply lightwave web sites with some free stuff.

Amazing what the forum here has for beginner.

thanks

JoePoe
05-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Welcome!

Still worth it's weight in gold... the 24 hrs of Training (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?77002-Hours-of-Free-LightWave-Training-(24-Hours-)) sticky thread in the LW - General Techniques, Tips & Tricks section.

Spaceland
05-31-2014, 06:01 AM
Welcome!

Still worth it's weight in gold... the 24 hrs of Training (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?77002-Hours-of-Free-LightWave-Training-(24-Hours-)) sticky thread in the LW - General Techniques, Tips & Tricks section.

when I clicked the link and I saw all the training I was like that :bowdown: :)

thanks

prometheus
05-31-2014, 10:29 AM
you could browse through the newtek ftpf as well, some of them are basicly connected to the lw training..but some are not, you can simply edit your browse adress field to go back to higher hiearchy in ftp folders and from there jump in to lower folders of videos etc..right click to download...heres some copy and paste extract of some folders...
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/Wakes/
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/

Spaceland
05-31-2014, 02:02 PM
thanks prometheus

quakebox
06-01-2014, 02:02 AM
Welcome bro have a nice time using Lightwave a good starting point is reading the documentation F1 and check Amazon for Lightwave Books also check the 24 Hours Training Videos plus this section https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/

Have a good day :)

scallahan1
06-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Also, there's some fine tips in issue 67 of 3D Artist (50 Lightwave tips and tricks). I just picked it up yesterday. Gonna try and play with tip #26 Make a Procedural Terrain. That'll keep me out of trouble for a bit. Enjoy.

Steve-o

Spaceland
06-02-2014, 06:52 PM
too many things to do... too much input... just kidding, thanks all.

Snosrap
06-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Welcome Spaceland! IMO the best way to learn is to do a project, just make one up and go for it.

jeric_synergy
06-02-2014, 09:43 PM
What's Snosrap said: pick a PARTICULAR image to build, and go for it. Imitation is very educational.

Waves of light
06-03-2014, 03:59 AM
Welcome aboard Spaceland. Yep, agree with others on here, also check out the speed modeling challenges... great way to get up to speed and see how others model (poly flow, poly count, edge loops, etc.) This page has a link to all the previous challenges, so you can go back through them all and see how different artists think and model:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?89283-Speed-Model-Challenge-Archives

Spaceland
06-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Welcome Spaceland! IMO the best way to learn is to do a project, just make one up and go for it.

oh I do, I have too many but one a time.

Thank you

CaptainMarlowe
06-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Welcome aboard. Why did you choose Lightwave ? Are you hobbyist, freelancer ? You 'll see that one of Lightwave's greatness is its very friendly community. You'll never lack advice nor free plugin or script to get the work done here.

Spaceland
06-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Welcome aboard. Why did you choose Lightwave ? Are you hobbyist, freelancer ? You 'll see that one of Lightwave's greatness is its very friendly community. You'll never lack advice nor free plugin or script to get the work done here.

Why I did choose Lightwave, simple:

One was the price, the rebate was amazing. I own Cinema 4D Prime and when Maxon put an update, they left some of the update to their higher version. And in the end to be honest even at the regular price I saw that Lightwave offer more than Cinema 4D for price. I remember a while back that I did try it when Maya, Softimage and Lightwave we're starting to get personal version to test.

And then I receive an email from Lightwave 3D to say if i was enjoying the demo and they give another rebate i couldn't refuse. I know from past that Lightwave is a very cool software and at that time i was not to keen on having the modeller and render in 2 separate program, but that was a long time ago i should say. Now i have a software that can do the same from Cinema 4D Studio and the cost is less.

2nd i was going to upgrade my Cinema 4D version to a higher version but then i saw the Lightwave rebate, got me to think my choice of software to work with and what i wanted to do. At first i was going to be more a modeller but then i thinking of changing to go modeller and animator.

I am a Hobbyist that is trying to change that into a Freelancer.

And yes the community is very grateful and full of resources.

Simply amazing.

Hope that answer your question.

rednova
06-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi:
Lightwave 3d is amazing and I still use it after many years.
Check out all the tutorials you can get, there are enough to
learn everything you need.

CaptainMarlowe
06-05-2014, 09:51 AM

One was the price, the rebate was amazing. I own Cinema 4D Prime and when Maxon put an update, they left some of the update to their higher version. And in the end to be honest even at the regular price I saw that Lightwave offer more than Cinema 4D for price. I remember a while back that I did try it when Maya, Softimage and Lightwave we're starting to get personal version to test.

And then I receive an email from Lightwave 3D to say if i was enjoying the demo and they give another rebate i couldn't refuse. I know from past that Lightwave is a very cool software and at that time i was not to keen on having the modeller and render in 2 separate program, but that was a long time ago i should say. Now i have a software that can do the same from Cinema 4D Studio and the cost is less.

2nd i was going to upgrade my Cinema 4D version to a higher version but then i saw the Lightwave rebate, got me to think my choice of software to work with and what i wanted to do. At first i was going to be more a modeller but then i thinking of changing to go modeller and animator.

Simply amazing.

We went quite the same path, then. I am a hobbyist too, planning to go as a freelancer when I retire from my current job in a few years. I got LW9+LWCAD1.5 a few years ago for 795€. I was tempted by C4D, then, and I tried both demo versions in parallel. After two weeks, I was able to do much more things with LW than with C4D, and the price tag was very appealing also, so I chose Lightwave, and never regretted. I have added 3D-Coat and the algorithmic indie suite in my toolset since then.
Lightwave is a very efficient tool to reach your own visions. I wanted to do mainly modeling by then, but I do nowadays almost everything with it, especially animations. If ou like modeling, then you may consider adding the fantastic LWCAD plug-in which enhances greatly modeler.

Snosrap
06-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Just curious as to what rebate you are talking about. Some kind of cross-grade offer?

Spaceland
06-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Just curious as to what rebate you are talking about. Some kind of cross-grade offer?

Nope,

Lightwave was already $500 cheaper and received an email if I was happy with the demo they they give me another code for another $100 rebate, so my total rebate was $600.

Like I said, an offer you can refuse.

brent3d
06-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Simply amazing.

Glad to have you aboard Spaceland

Ztreem
06-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Welcome Spaceland! If you ever feel lost in lightwave just ask here and we will guide you in the right direction.

rednova
06-07-2014, 08:40 AM
I am happy you joined the lightwavers ranks.
Long live Lightwave !!!