PDA

View Full Version : Flocking: Dividing a flock between two directors ?

ArtGoblin
05-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Hi guys, I was experimenting with Flocking after taking a look at Cody's awesome tutorial (https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/flocking-fruityum/)

I attempted the same setup, but I want 100% of my flock particles to first go to the first text(director), then I wanted 50% of it or so to leave to the other one later in the animation. I thought that this would be as simple as setting the director weight from 1 to 0,5 instead of zero, but that was not it.. anyone know how to do this ?

jeric_synergy
05-25-2014, 10:29 AM
In a recently viewed video, Cody mentioned that GROUPS have not (yet) been implemented, so every agent is affected by every director.

Sounds like it may have to be done in passes. :(

ArtGoblin
05-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Passes? as in 2 different flocks ? If I find fast way to split he directing objects points into two sets It would be the solution I'm looking for

ArtGoblin
05-25-2014, 11:14 AM
ok... I'm thinking out-loud here while I'm waiting for the first animation I did is finished rendering. I could create two different texts... use julienne or something similare to cut them up into million points... then I could probably use something like this plug-in "RandomSelect (http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html#Random_Select)" to split the first text layer into two different sets of points.

Then in layout I would create say... a flock with 50 agents... and make it fly over to and stick to the first text (and the first point set), and I'm guessing I could save those agents as an mdd or something. Then I'd change the destination to go fly over to the first text (but this time to the secon point set), and from there on make the crossfade on the weight envelopes just like Cody does in his tutorial. Then I bring back my saved MDD file and attach instances on that and add instances to the flocking generator.

jeric_synergy
05-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Nahh, I meant passes analogous to render passes. Prolly have to freeze em out to FBX or something.

I hope I'm wrong.

ArtGoblin
05-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Hmmm.. why does my Layout crash whenever I try to load the mdd file in an mdd reader :/ maybe MDD baker isn't the right way to go for baking flocking agents ?

ArtGoblin
05-25-2014, 04:12 PM
ok... found it, save out as pfx from the flock generator. then load up on a null object in an particle emitter.

jeric_synergy
05-26-2014, 12:20 AM
So, flock motions are saved as particle motions? So really, any geometry can be swapped in?

When you get that workflow nailed down I'd love to read about it. :thumbsup:

ArtGoblin
05-26-2014, 03:22 AM
Yes... I got it to work with an emitter then I could get another flock agent workflow going. But I haven't still figured out a good way to get make each group land on different parts of the first arrive director. But I'm close to getting it all to work somehow... I'll post a tutorial or something if I figure it out :)