PDA

View Full Version : Snap a null on the edge of an object in Layout?

Taro Yoshimoto
05-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Like the subject say!

Also I am trying to snap a null on a polygon, rotation aligned on normal. So far, no luck.

But the edge is more important today... any way to do this? The rotation need to be aligned with the edge.

thanks!

ernpchan
05-23-2014, 07:52 AM
You'd probably have better luck snapping to the two points that make the edge and finding a way to constrain a third null between those two points.

Simon-S
05-23-2014, 09:45 AM
You can use powergons to snap a null to a polygons center and normal...not sure how to snap to an edge though.

Check out William Vaughan's tutorial on powergons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbLI-6V9gjI

I did a quick test with getting it snapped to a polygons center and normal using this text in modeler... AddNull testnull\rPosition \c\rRotation \n

Hope this helps

jeric_synergy
05-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Nodes. Rebel Hill's tutorials talk about such thing. I'd bet you'll need the DPKit plugins too (but that's always a safe bet).

Do you mean one specific case, or in general as a workflow?

BTW, I don't see people making/saving Compound Nodes as 'devices', like "This Compound Node finds the center of a polygon".

probiner
05-23-2014, 11:32 AM
This is one of those things you do in a jiffy in other packages. Both snapping null or constrain it to a geometry element.

Anyways here goes that with nodes.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143766132/Forums/NewTek/edge_constrain.gif

Downsides? You need to know the vertices ID to put them on each Point Info Node. And STUDIO LIVE must be on on Studio Panel.

http://i.imgur.com/36LSo50.png

Cheers

jeric_synergy
05-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Nice work, Probiner. Thanks for the files, ALWAYS a great help.

Axis3d
05-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Or perhaps the simplest way to do this might be with the Sticky and StickySurface Motion modifiers. Just add the StickSurface to the object you want your null to stick to, then add the Sticky modifier to the null object. Then, you can just drag the null around and it will stick to the surface of the other object in real time. Kind of like RayCasting but without the nodes.

probiner
05-23-2014, 01:02 PM
http://stephenculley.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/lscript-masterautorefresh.html
This plugin is still usefull compared to Studio LIVE!

No lag: you see the red box is behind where it should be.
No VPR endless refresh: It lets VPR calculate unlike Studio LIVE!

Cheers

jeric_synergy
05-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Or perhaps the simplest way to do this might be with the Sticky and StickySurface Motion modifiers.
Dang, forgot about that one. (Never used it, but knew of it.)

Maybe we need a sort of "Advent Calendar", where each day's door has a neglected LW technique, tool, or plugin behind it.

Whenever I glance in the "Additional" menu, I know we need such a thing.

Taro Yoshimoto
05-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks Simon-S, that worked perfectly. It's not resolving my edge problem but it does open a world of possibilities for me. The fact that you can do it on multiples polys at one it what really make it useful.

Thanks Probiner for the nodes setup and scene. I am going to look at it carefully. It look a bit tedious for massive amount of edges but it would work none the less.

Axis3d
05-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Dang, forgot about that one. (Never used it, but knew of it.)

Maybe we need a sort of "Advent Calendar", where each day's door has a neglected LW technique, tool, or plugin behind it.

Whenever I glance in the "Additional" menu, I know we need such a thing.

Totally agree. I think at this point in the game, I'm forgetting more than I'm remembering with LW. Maybe some clever coder can make an app that parses a library of every LW tool, technique and plugin to come up with a best guess based on a user's question. Um, or maybe thats just called the internet...... oh, well.

jeric_synergy
05-23-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm probably the only guy in the world who leaves ON those splash screen tips you get with After Effects and other programs. I >>need<< those reminders.

Think how traffic would drop here if we had to answer 3 obscure LW questions correctly any time we started the program..... ;)

Thanks for the reminder on "Sticky". ---I don't think the subject of Proton's video endeared it to many users, maybe a cuter application of it would cement it in our memories better.

Taro Yoshimoto
05-24-2014, 09:06 AM
I just to thought of an easy way to get the edges with powergons. Just bevel the edges a bit in modeler (on a duplicate of the object), then select the new poly and use powergons to stick a Null on it. Voilą! Easy as 123.