PDA

View Full Version : Messiah Studio 6 on MAC

battery555
05-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Anyone here using Messiah Studio 6 on MAC? I received 2 emails from them about upgrade offer for $60 within 48hrs. I owned Messiah 5 but it's barely usable with tiger. Now I'm using mountain lion and it's totally broken. For $60 I might bite if mountain lion is supported and stable. :grumpy:

jburford
05-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Your best bet would be to ask over on the Messiah Forums, http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/index.html , then community, then forums. That is where the (few left) users of Messiah Studio hang out. Though yes, there are probably more users of Lightwave using it.

Cheers.

PS. Personally, only have Messiah Studio Pro on the PC side, so can't help you on the Mac question.

Phil
05-23-2014, 09:43 AM
It's been broken since release on Mac. They only 'support' it on Snow Leopard. They've blamed Codeweavers at every turn, although that seems a tad silly. There were issues with Wine under OSX 10.7, but these were resolved quite quickly and you can take messiah and run it under Wineskin with a new Wine install without too much trouble at all (install the Win32 version into the Wineskin wrapper; ensure that you set the Option to use XQuartz instead of the built-in X11 implementation in Wineskin). I'm not sure if this applies to version 6, though. I lost patience with the whole thing: none of the external plugin things work and you will also struggle to find a way to get messiah to render on a farm of Macs. Support didn't respond to either of these requests, nor to the suggestion about adopting Wineskin.

Markc
05-23-2014, 10:57 AM
I looked on the Messiah Forums, from what I read in the Mac section it is only 32 bit, and is pretty useless.

jwiede
05-23-2014, 03:50 PM
I pre-ordered (and pre-payed) Mac Messiah Studio 6. As of today, I have yet to receive (or receive access to) a Mac version download of Messiah Studio 6, or any refund of my payment. In July 2013, I asked pMG in email either for a Mac release or a refund. I was told the Mac release was still "pending a fix from Apple" (whatever that means), and my refund request was ignored.

pMG has yet to release any Mac Messiah 6 installer/package at either Setuptab.com or pMG's website. The Mac version of MS6 on the "full version downloads" page of the pMG project Messiah website (http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/downloadFull.html) says "comming soon" (sic). Yet pMG continue to advertise Messiah Studio 6 as "released" using the Mac logo on their website. The "latest" Windows version of MS6 was made available for download over a year ago at Setuptab.com (and shortly thereafter at pMG's own website).

calilifestyle
05-23-2014, 03:55 PM
yeah don't do it.

battery555
05-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks Phi, now I remember the set up for MAC is a little convoluted. Also the reg. number need to be installed into a USB thumb drive which kind of hassle. I went thru their online tutorial then, and I was excited by what the software could do. Just that MAC version then was really unreliable and I gave up altogether. I was hoping PM 6 would be different. Personally I don't like the need to go through too much technicalities or work arounds to get the software works. I prefer tools that are easier to work with than to fight it. I like PM CA capabilities hence I wish to gather more MAC user experiences. Given advice from you helpful folks, seems like their support is still very lacking. Perhaps I can give it a miss this round. Cheers all and have a great weekend!

Rayek
05-25-2014, 05:15 PM
I remember that I ordered Messiah to work with Cinema4d years ago - Pmg never got it to properly work with the plugin, and it was wacom incompatible at that time. When a fix finally did come out, they wanted me to update to the newest version to make it functional. That's when I realized I should jump ship while I still could.

In the last couple of years I only heard and read bad things about the support, and bugs not being resolved.

I appreciate what the software might be able to do, but with such bad management I am glad I stayed clear, even when they offered it for almost nothing.

Also, on a multi-screen setup it is pretty much useless (muy experience when I tried out the latest version a year ago).

bazsa73
05-26-2014, 01:54 AM
Yes, it is not at all user friendly, seemingly works only on a PC according to your accounts but in defense of the software I must tell it really did the job for me
in my latest CA job and with only a very few crashes wherelse LW would have crashed way more often. So yes messiah is a hacker tool which is somewhat a pity
because with slightly better management and support it could shine over perhaps even the big ones though it has been told on several places. Whatever.

jwiede
05-26-2014, 03:34 PM
because with slightly better management and support it could shine...
You see them taking customers' money for a product they haven't delivered* as a "slight" management problem? What would you consider a moderate or severe management problem in that context?

calilifestyle
05-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Yeah between them, pmg and jimmyrigg people forget about it.

bbuxton
05-27-2014, 05:37 AM
I have been waiting since November 2012 for a usable release of v6. Stupid really as I never managed to get a usable install of v5 either.
No response to emails, nothing. Really Pmg are no better than those dodgy online investment companies that sell non existent or worthless products to the unsuspecting.
At least they eventually get removed from the net or locked up for their crimes. I appreciate that Pmg are not crooks, just lazy with a terrible aloof attitude to customers that have in most cases work hard for the money handed to Pmg.

jburford
05-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Guess I have been lucky running on a PC with it, no problem getting going or it being usable.

I think it has rather become a Personal Tool (App) for around a half dozen parties that belong to the "Inner Circle", and that PMG found out years ago that there are still people willing to fork out money for it beyond those having their own personal app. The main focus on their own project and those of the special group, and . . . well. foget running as an actual company that cares or wants to grow and expand (or survive).

calilifestyle
05-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Guess I have been lucky running on a PC with it, no problem getting going or it being usable.

I think it has rather become a Personal Tool (App) for around a half dozen parties that belong to the "Inner Circle", and that PMG found out years ago that there are still people willing to fork out money for it beyond those having their own personal app. The main focus on their own project and those of the special group, and . . . well. foget running as an actual company that cares or wants to grow and expand (or survive).

That's not really true. They must have wanted to grow and bring in new users. The Share campaign was a way to bring people in . The problem was they forgot they had to follow up. They forgot they now had new user with expectations .

bazsa73
05-27-2014, 12:13 PM
You see them taking customers' money for a product they haven't delivered* as a "slight" management problem? What would you consider a moderate or severe management problem in that context?

Yes.

jwiede
05-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Really Pmg are no better than those dodgy online investment companies that sell non existent or worthless products to the unsuspecting.Agreed 100%! :thumbsup:

Caveat emptor!