PDA

View Full Version : NEW VIDEO: 4 Animation Pipelines for Unity

ConjureBunny
05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
I just wrapped a project where we used blendshapes and a bone rigged human, and I noticed that most of the other guys who had worked on it, and who had tried to do this in LightWave had either run into bugs (and not known it), or didn't quite have a handle on the differences between the animation types in Unity.

So if you're planning on using Blendshapes in Unity 4.3, or just generally want to get up to speed on the four different animation types (Blendshapes, bone rigs, Unity Animation, or fully scripted animations) in Unity quickly, this will probably help.

This video covers making a little gun turret that spins and fires. When it fires, it recoils. I show how to do this using all four techniques, but with the same basic LightWave model. It also includes a note with a few tips / tricks for making animations generally work better, and it includes a more advanced version of the scripts I write in the video, that you are free to use (along with the model, scene, everything included) in your own projects.

Video overview...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVS4NYVwvmc

Screenshot...

And you can buy it here, for about $20...

http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/05/4unitypipelinesforanimations/

And again, I've been doing blendshape / rigging / scripting animations non-stop for a few months now, so if you're running into problems, just let me know. I probably ran into it, too :)

-Chilton

ernpchan
05-22-2014, 11:56 AM
When you say 'blendshapes' are you referring to Maya or LW's morphs?

ConjureBunny
05-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Bingo.

Blendshapes is what they call them in Unity, though technically I'm referring to morphs in LightWave.

(Endomorphs is what I used to call them, about a year ago I was told they're Morph Maps now, but I have no idea what's real anymore )

-Chilton

tyrot
05-22-2014, 03:01 PM
first day .. purchased right away..thanks SO much...

ConjureBunny
05-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Not a problem, Tyrot. Thank you.

I try to keep these videos to the point, without a lot of rambling, and showing very specific things. But I also have to walk a line between 'this is obvious' and 'this is vital'. So if you have any questions, please let me know!

-Chilton

Ryan Roye
05-22-2014, 06:30 PM
I try to keep these videos to the point, without a lot of rambling, and showing very specific things.

Something I particularly enjoy about the content Chilton brings to the table is that everything is broken up into logical short sections which helps greatly to allow the viewer to absorb the material. For the record, most if not all of his content on L3D follows this format including his 2-part secrets of subdivision (http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/03/secrets-of-subd-modeling-volume-1/) videos which I also highly recommend getting if you want to quickly get a firm understanding of what subdivision modeling workflows look like and know how to deal with common issues, such as hidden geometry or unwanted mystery formations.