PDA

View Full Version : Display keyframed coords instead of motion modifier (world? parent?) coords?/ FReq?

jeric_synergy
05-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Sometimes I'll be using a motion modifier (or other feature/plugin that affects item motion) and desire to see the KEYFRAMED item values rather than the World (Parent?) coords.

AFAIK, the lower-left coordinate display always shows Parent coords. (Right??)

But when you use something like Spline Control, the numbers shown (whatever the hell they are, someone edumacate me here) are not the keyframed values.

My question: IS there a way to easily see the keyframed values rather than the motion modified values ? ("Opening the GE" does NOT count.)

IF not, I suggest this might be a very easy feature to implement, and valuable to users.

(IE, a conspicuous toggle that flipped the coord display between all possible states (world & parent, I guess)-- you know how AE has a red border when the capslock/no update is on? THAT conspicuous.)

ernpchan
05-22-2014, 09:51 AM
My guess is there's no native way. If there was one I'm sure we would have known about it by now.

Someone might be able to make a plugin for this, but that would mean they would have to get access to whatever the plugin or other tool is doing to translate the numbers. Considering how a lot of tools don't really talk to each other, my guess is that this is not very easy or totally impossible. That's just my guess though, someone with more expertise on this is more than welcome to correct me.

jeric_synergy
05-22-2014, 09:54 AM
It'd be nice if it made it into LW12. I mean, this would be a convenient thing, right?

If it's better intermittantly, then a momentary keypress to activate it would be preferable. (What's the UI terminology for that?)

ernpchan
05-22-2014, 09:59 AM
It'd be nice if it made it into LW12. I mean, this would be a convenient thing, right?

I've never run into a situation where I needed this information since I was ultimately relying on whatever plugin or tool I was using to get the motion done. I'd say add a FR and see what happens. Knowing why this particular information is actually useful would be nice. If it's just a curiosity or noveltly thing then I wouldn't expect much attention since there are bigger more critical issues.

If it's better intermittantly, then a momentary keypress to activate it would be preferable. (What's the UI terminology for that?)
Toggle key? I know what you're talking about, just not sure the technical term.

jeric_synergy
05-22-2014, 10:35 AM
#awayFrom LW, and currently can't remember WHY I want this, but I remember there's been several occasions where I wanted keyframe info from a motionmodifier controlled item. Just can't remember why.

+++
OK, playing with Spline Control, and the LLH display shows the World (possibly Parent) location of the controlled object. What it does NOT tell me is the currently keyframed Z value, which is what mostly counts when using Spline Control.

I think I'd prefer to be able to see BOTH, at my own choosing, without opening the GE. AND, just to be difficult, I'd like the setting, Keyframe versus World/Parent, to be "sticky" as to the item-- that is, not global, but specific to each item. (I can see people not liking this preferring a global setting, so IMO it would best be a preferences thing, but also clearly delineated by a colored border around the coordinate display, as mentioned above.) --For one thing, this would make it easier to determine the length of any spline path being used by Spline Control-- just read it off the display, versus going to the GE.

Essentially I'm asking for easier access to information, which I think should be a guiding principle in software engineering, n'est ce pas?