PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics for bones

VermilionCat
05-22-2014, 03:09 AM
Hi,
Is there any way to apply dynamics to bones besides IKBooster... which I have no clue about it.
I can do above by simulate 2 point polychains and apply Nodal motion to the bones with individual point ID of polychains.
But if you have dozens, hundreds of point ID this will be horrendous tedious task.
I'm looking for more reasonable solutions.

Ryan Roye
05-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Hi,
Is there any way to apply dynamics to bones besides IKBooster... which I have no clue about it.
I can do above by simulate 2 point polychains and apply Nodal motion to the bones with individual point ID of polychains.
But if you have dozens, hundreds of point ID this will be horrendous tedious task.
I'm looking for more reasonable solutions.

In short, the answer is no without some significant workarounds that largely defeat the purpose. The reason being is that IKBooster is the only dynamics system in Lightwave that takes into account parent hierarchy relationships when performing its simulations.

What do you require that IKB dynamics doesn't offer? There's a lot of stuff about IKB dynamics that people don't know about... examples:

- Simulating at 40-120 FPS will yield much higher quality results and will actually calculate a lot faster. Set your FPS, perform the sim, then revert the FPS back to original. You can snap the keys to integer keyframes via the graph editor or the dope track to eliminate fractional keys.

- Set the topmost bone in the chain to quaternion mode to prevent unwanted flipping or snapping.

- Things like "Fix" and "Set Goal" work in tandem with IKB dynamics, so you can isolate simulations easily that way, or set up very complex simulated constraint systems without much effort.

- IKB contains the only dynamics system that allows the user to apply dynamics and still have complete manual control over the things it was used on. You can sort of do this with bullet rigid bodies, it just requires the extra step of baking with MF motion baker before removing dynamics so it can be edited.

- If you need to envelope gravity, set the gravity of your dynamics object to 0 in IKB options, and use a gravity dynamics object instead.

In any case, if you are simulating things that require objects to be aware of their parent child heiarchy relationships, IKB dynamics is the best Lightwave has to offer for the time being.

VermilionCat
05-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks for your input, chazriker.
It's unfortunate there's no practical method except IKB.
From what you produce IKB seems no doubt incredible tools but I cannot keep up that UI. Not it's not capable or such.
Thanks anyways.

Dodgy
05-22-2014, 09:36 PM
From what you produce IKB seems no doubt incredible tools but I cannot keep up that UI.

It's been the same UI for IKB ever since it went in pretty much (v9? v8?)... Ryan's tutorials cover it very well, so if you can't be bothered to learn it that's like saying 'Is there a way to make an IK chain without using IK?' The tool exists that does exactly what you want, but you don't want to use it....

erikals
05-23-2014, 06:08 AM
for doing this without IKB, you could check out Cageman's trick >

server - ftp://LightWave:[email protected]
folder - Cageman_Creating_wakes
video - Addendum_2pointPoly_drive_Bones_native_1200x675.mo v

plugin - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4904542&postcount=1

edit, but if you can, use IKB, it's faster...