PDA

View Full Version : Instances random animation

DiMagic
05-22-2014, 02:57 AM
Hi everyone! ^ )
I have an instanced objects (few thousands).
And I need to make them scale from zero to 100% and back to zero for defined time period (same for every instance)

With random selection (NOT simultaneously, ) one by one.

I suppose solution somewhere in the nodes. But I can`t get it.

here is schematic wiev of animation I try to make
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKja6NFC5x4

Hope you will understand me ^ )

ernpchan
05-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Is your animation supposed to loop or does the animation just play through once?

DiMagic
05-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Just once

ernpchan
05-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Hm, unfortunately there's no way to randomize mdds. You just have to create multiple variations of your animation. So I would do a single animation where your object is at scale 0, scales up and then scales back to 0. You say you have 1000s of objects though, so that'd be a lot of variations of that animation unless you can live with a small sample of variants. If you can get HDInstance then you can randomize the motion because it uses its own motion file format.

If the camera doesn't move and you can do this in comp, you could use Particular and AfterEffects.

Greenlaw
05-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Hm, unfortunately there's no way to randomize mdds. You just have to create multiple variations of your animation.

Yeah, what ernpChan said.

One of the nice things about about the old HD Instance plug-in was that it could bake animations to it's own cache format (HDD?) and then randomize the playback for each instance. I hope something like this can ba added to Instancer in the future--it really needs it. That last three jobs I was on required instancing hundreds of creatures and machines, and it was a pain to set up enough offset MDD variations for Instancer to minimize noticeable looping. While there are many things I like about Instancer (motion vector export for one,) randomizing animations was much easier to do HD Instance, and the result was more, well, random.

G.

Thomas Leitner
05-22-2014, 01:14 PM
You donīt need MDDs for this! You can transform, rotate and scale instances independently. Basically it should work with nodes: You can use "Fixed Random" from the "Instance Info" node as input for a Gradient to randomize the time offset.

ciao
Thomas

Greenlaw
05-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Oh yeah, in the context of the original poster's request, you're correct. I got distracted by my own wishes. :)

That said, I really do want a way to randomize .mdds for Instancer--hopefully LW3D is working on a node for this feature. It really really should be a priority feature for the next version of Instancer.

G.

ernpchan
05-22-2014, 03:01 PM
You donīt need MDDs for this! You can transform, rotate and scale instances independently. Basically it should work with nodes: You can use "Fixed Random" from the "Instance Info" node as input for a Gradient to randomize the time offset.

ciao
Thomas

Very interesting. If someone could throw together a node network example that would be grand.

DiMagic
05-22-2014, 05:52 PM
I`m digging that way. But still can`t get deal with it.
Fixed Random should be connected to scale channel, but what must be placed between them?

Thomas Leitner
05-23-2014, 12:03 AM
I`m digging that way. But still can`t get deal with it.
Fixed Random should be connected to scale channel, but what must be placed between them?

Animate your source object as normal with keyframes in the scale channel. Then instance your object like you need it. In the instance generator use "Edit Nodes" to randomize the time offset for each instance. Therefor you can use "Fixed Random" from the "Instance Info" node as input for a Gradient to randomize the Time Offset. Look at the Lightwave 11.6 addendum page 69 (Random Colors...) as an example for the network.
And keep in mind: "Time Offset" only works when the Instanced item uses Parent coordinates.

I hope it works.
ciao
Thomas

Thomas Leitner
05-23-2014, 12:33 AM
Very interesting. If someone could throw together a node network example that would be grand.

Ok, here is a little test scene:

The strange thing (maybe a bug) is that if you scale the source item (ball) to null the instances disappear on this frame (40)!??
So I scale the ball down to 0,001.

ciao
Thomas

DiMagic
05-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Ok, here is a little test scene:
ciao
Thomas
thank you so much ! Now Ive got it! ^ )

I think it is not nesesary to use scalar nodes, you can just fill required amount right in the gradent node