PDA

View Full Version : Call for content - Siggraph 2014!

codyburke610
05-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone,

From the newsletter:

Call For Content (https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/be-a-part-of-the-lightwave-3d-siggraph-2014-live-stream/)

This year the LightWave 3D Group wants to showcase as much exciting content from you as possible. We are not only looking for LightWave renders, but also tutorials and personal/studio interviews. This will be great exposure for you and your company.

If you got a cool project you've been working on and would like to walk us through the process with narration , please do!

Got a unique LightWave trick and would like to share it with the world? Record a tutorial!

Want your BEST OF LightWave renders to be featured in our 2014 showreel? Send them to me!

Got a video camera and would like to record an interview of yourself talking about Why LightWave is awesome? Let's do it!

Deadline is June 19th. Please get in contact with me at [email protected] for more details.

Cheers,
-Cody

Snosrap
05-20-2014, 06:39 PM
hmmm - not so sure about that strategy.

ernpchan
05-20-2014, 06:43 PM
hmmm - not so sure about that strategy.

I assume you're talking about the below?

I agree. If someone doesn't set themselves up with proper lighting and audio, it might just come across as a crappy Vine video.

Got a video camera and would like to record an interview of yourself talking about Why LightWave is awesome? Let's do it!

XswampyX
05-20-2014, 07:07 PM
We could do it like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDo_vs3Aip4

Snosrap
05-20-2014, 07:57 PM
I assume you're talking about the below?

I agree. If someone doesn't set themselves up with proper lighting and audio, it might just come across as a crappy Vine video.

The whole thing sounds like it could be a little campy. :)

djwaterman
05-20-2014, 08:00 PM
The strategy is fine, obviously they're not going to use anything that comes across as crappy. Actually I think a montage (or edited into other content) of talking heads from all over the world with varied lighting and formats will look pretty cool, sort of putting a face to the user-base. Of course some of us might not be pretty but does anyone care about that? Sometimes slick is not the right look.

ernpchan
05-20-2014, 08:07 PM
As long as nobody is wearing a Core shirt we should be just fine. :-D

Snosrap
05-21-2014, 06:44 AM
"Got a video camera and would like to record an interview of yourself talking about Why LightWave is awesome? Let's do it!" - Have you ever been to YouTube.com? Like I said, it could be very campy. :) The actual LW content that NT has shown in the past has been nothing short of spectacular, but the presentation of such content has been suspect at times. Rob does a really good job with his personal appearances, but the other NT employees and some of the content creators they bring to the stage - not so much.

ernpchan
05-21-2014, 08:14 AM
... some of the content creators they bring to the stage - not so much.

I know I'm guilty of this. I'm sure I came across as a spazzy guy when I was on the stage. The big challenge is trying to say everything you want to say in a short amount of time.

To get back on topic, hopefully a lot of people submit content. There's a lot of fantastic work out there. If I had anything to submit I would.

Snosrap
05-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Yeah - I hate the slick snake oil salesman as much as anybody. It's probably difficult to find knowledgeable LWer's that speak well on camera and in public.

hrgiger
05-21-2014, 11:58 PM

I'm thinking that might not be good material to use. The Dave school did one for Modo recently and it was downright gag inducing. Of course most of it was just having Modo users saying they love Modo. I suppose if you tie it in with the authors work and have them explain how they achieved a particular result or effect that might be ok but please don't just have people talk about how LightWave is fast to work in or how its an end to end solution right out of the box. EVERYONE thinks that about their software. If you're going to point out something positive about LightWave, tie it in with actual visuals.

I might have a few things to submit.

djwaterman
05-22-2014, 12:32 AM
Of course when I said some of us might not be pretty I wasn't referring to myself personally.

geo_n
05-22-2014, 12:53 AM
Modo users saying they love Modo.

They had that in the modo 801 livestream. People zoned out and just went to the website to check the feature list. :D

50one
05-22-2014, 01:32 AM
I'm thinking that might not be good material to use. The Dave school did one for Modo recently and it was downright gag inducing. Of course most of it was just having Modo users saying they love Modo. I suppose if you tie it in with the authors work and have them explain how they achieved a particular result or effect that might be ok but please don't just have people talk about how LightWave is fast to work in or how its an end to end solution right out of the box. EVERYONE thinks that about their software. If you're going to point out something positive about LightWave, tie it in with actual visuals.

I might have a few things to submit.

Why not just use the same video from DAVE School and replace the word 'MODO' with 'Lightwave' that would be hilarious.

S

hrgiger
05-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Why not just use the same video from DAVE School and replace the word 'MODO' with 'Lightwave' that would be hilarious.

S

Actually that might be funny.

codyburke610
05-27-2014, 11:31 AM
To address a few people's concerns about this approach.

I will not accept any interview that is not up to our standards. Each studio that has gained interest and is doing this remotely without me present, has been hand selected, or picked out based off of previously working with them and knowing their professionalism. Each studio so far has been given example videos of lighting, composition, and audio. Specific questions to answer and the b-roll I am looking for. If it doesn't match the guidelines, then I'm sorry but it will not be used.

Same thing goes with user tutorials.

So far, everyone is extremely excited. This will not only promote us, but also all of our incredible studios and users worldwide.

-Cody

Snosrap
05-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Sounds like you are all over it Cody. Looking forward to the various presentations/info. Oh, and LW12 too!

hrgiger
06-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Oh, and LW12 too!

Well sure...just not this year.

Ryan Roye
06-01-2014, 07:18 PM
I'm looking forward to pitching in some content for the livestream... it'll be a squeeze but I have a few interesting topics in mind. IKBooster of course will get some major love, but I have some other stuff on the list as well, such as DPkit functions that are likely to get overlooked but are uber-powerful.

Snosrap
06-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Well sure...just not this year.Yep - that's what I'm thinking too. Hence the call for content - they got nothing new to show to fill the time.

hrgiger
06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Yep - that's what I'm thinking too. Hence the call for content - they got nothing new to show to fill the time.

Well there will be LightWave 11.7.

codyburke610
06-02-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm looking forward to pitching in some content for the livestream...

This is subject to change, it will be an online showcase though. Really looking forward to your tutorial contribution, Ryan!

Yep - that's what I'm thinking too. Hence the call for content - they got nothing new to show to fill the time.

Not true. We do a "call for content" at least twice a year regardless of where we are with LightWave. The more updated LightWave renders we have the better. I constantly need footage for sales/marketing purposes and events. Plus, I love seeing what's new with all of our users and studios.

-Cody

Snosrap
06-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Well there will be LightWave 11.7. You keep saying that. I wonder what that would be? A new Modeler with the Hydra engine?

Hail
06-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Well there will be LightWave 11.7.

And your source is..???

silviotoledo
06-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Just to inform that we finished some visual effects for a Brazilian feature film. See:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?142066-Lightwave-on-a-Brazilian-Feature-Film

hrgiger
06-10-2014, 02:10 PM
And your source is..???

reliable.

rwhunt99
07-03-2014, 10:26 AM
They indicated that they have opened the SDK ( using Python) and it seems that they are hoping someone else actually produces better tools . The fact they they put a lot of effort into two new apps indicates that they are frustrated that they are stuck at the present price point and can generate more revenue by selling tools that improve the workflow and usefulness of their prime product and relegated the users to be happy that they are actually fixing the tools they do have tells the story.

stephefrank
07-07-2014, 01:35 PM
@codyburke610 how about seriously considering the fact that Lightwave11.5 has the tools but NO pro level tutorials out there to show the potential of the tools, such as Radiosity/GI, Genoma and Hair/fur.
Is there anything Newtek is doing about it?

dglenn
07-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Man! Wish I knew about this earlier I have a video of my dancing Albino Ocelot "Shelly" you could have used. If you need anything for a later reel, please send out an email and I can send you something. What I have is not rendered on Lightwave but was made using it and rendered on my display platform! It looks like my wired framed avatar! Sorry I missed the deadline!

khan973
08-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Hey guys, no sign of Newtek or LightWave 3D Group on the Siggraph's website, is that normal?