PDA

View Full Version : compositing buffer export black frames on farm

matts152
05-20-2014, 06:03 AM
OK.. i cant figure this one out.

Using compositing buffer export set to image files..... Renders fine to image viewer.... but when sent to the BNR farm.... (BNR is latest version, and using lightwave 11.6.3).... buffers are all black frames. Any ideas?

gerardstrada
05-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Just in case you are on hurry and can not make it work, you might want to try with DP Render Buffer and DP Global Buffers within DP Image Filter Node Editor.

Just double click in the output Image Filter node and enable the buffers you want to export and also the Global Buffers checkbox (a list of 24 Global Buffers will display). Add the DP Render Buffer node and connect the buffers you want to export to each Global Buffers output. Scalar for scalar, color for color buffers. Add DP Get Global Buffer node, double click and set up your output folder, color space and format.

More info here (http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/Multipass_Rendering_with_Filter_Node_Editors#Savin g_Buffers).

Gerardo

matts152
05-20-2014, 10:45 AM
THanks for the idea. I really wana get this composting buffer export to work though. Its way easier to set up... time is money :) I really dont know why it would save all black.... its like its not reading the buffer on the farm or somethen. I duno.

gerardstrada
05-20-2014, 11:00 AM
It really seems you are on hurry and guess you can set up this faster in IFNE than finding a solution right now with Compositing Buffer Export. It can help you as well to identify if the problem is in CBE or somewhere in the network config.

This is in the article, but just in case, Filter Node Editor node setups can be saved as presets. So we just need to set up a generic preset once. After that, it's just a matter of double click in the preset and you can save time.

Though I hope you find a solution with CBE :)

Gerardo

mummyman
05-20-2014, 11:09 AM
I gave up on compositing buffer when it first came out. it was very inconsistent on our render farm with certain passes, but doing a straight F9 usually worked fine. Something with the architecture of LW, I guess. Not sure if/when it will be fixed. Can't remember which passes I was trying to export at the time.

matts152
05-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Its a bug, its been reported... gona have to wait for update to use this feature

Mr_Q
05-20-2014, 03:05 PM
There's also an option in BNR you need to set to ON. "LW Image Filter Overrides Saver" or something along those lines.

And EXR Trader is only $80 and an amazing buffer manager. http://www.db-w.com/products/exrtrader/about

lardbros
05-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Like gerardo says... The dp buffer and pixel filter tools are actually easier to use than you might think at first.
I was petrified of them for aaaages... but once you've got the work flow down, it's MUCH quicker and easier to use than the Compositing Export Buffer that they've given us.

matts152
05-21-2014, 06:42 AM
Yeah i hear yeah Lardbros. I could probably learn it soon enough. I am more attracted to exr trader though.. I like what I see there

gerardstrada
05-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Just in case, the original purpose of DP Global/Extra Buffers is not to replace Compositing Buffer Export or similar tools, but rather provide the possibility to get and export custom-made buffers. I this regard, DP Filter Node Editors play well with tools like ExrTrader too, by overwriting existing buffers with custom-made ones. They play also nicely with Janus (http://faulknermano.com/janus/overview.html).

Gerardo

mummyman
05-21-2014, 07:38 AM
ExrTrader is nice.. that's what I've been using for quite a while. Janus looked REALLY awesome and promising, but I couldn't use it because it needs baked / mdd files to "update-shots" For instance, if I wanted to change some animation, I'd have to rebake, which I wasn't ready to do just yet.

gerardstrada
05-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Their purpose is not quite the same as well. Buffers savers work for multipass rendering, while Janus is very useful also for multilayering-rendering http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Gerardo