PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla (2014) - I felt for it again!

probiner
05-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Trailer had a bit of thriller, a bit of "Akira" overwhelming dramatic feeling and a monster presence being given by hints.
The actual movie starts fairly well. It ends up being a 10 minute of awesome monsters reel but with terrible editing and filled in the middle with the usual Catastrophe-Army-Family-Drama with loads of disposable characters, where the "main character" was almost inexistente in the trailers. The plot-holes or inconsistencies are at "Prometheus" level.

If you are not a monster guy you could just watch it on a sunday afternoon. Or heck watch a 10 minute montage somewhere and call it done :D

Cheers

tyrot
05-19-2014, 06:17 PM
man totally agree. i was having - simply headache - with those drama scene. i was thinking - hey is it real - TERRIBLE -

MOTUs were amazing - simply best monster design i could say - still didnt have it enough...

lertola2
05-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I was on the fence about seeing it.

erikals
05-19-2014, 06:53 PM
it did get an alright rating, might go see it... but yes, sci-fi movies often tends to have a rushed script... :/
Rating: 7.5/10 - ‎58,032 votes

probiner
05-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Well the people I was with loved it. But in a way I think it's a matter of selective attention. They just decided to ignore and not value the utter bad things about it and just go for the fun cool parts (the monsters), but that's a very small segment of the movie, given the rest is no support or a insteresting story by itself...

Anyways I posted here since I'm aware that there are people liking it and I would like to know... Why? :P

2 or 3 times the movie goes on to reveal more the monster to then just cut to a family or irrelevant scene... Like you can cut from appocalypse to washing teeth... more than once...

Cheers

erikals
05-19-2014, 07:47 PM
i think the more Sci-Fi i watch, the more picky i get about the storyline, which is a shame...
wish i could just ignore the flaws, be a bit more "stupid"... :]

COBRASoft
05-20-2014, 12:26 AM
I liked it nevertheless. Good popcorn entertainment.

GregMalick
05-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Monsters were OK.
I just kept saying to my wife that Aaron Taylor-Johnson seemed to be the unluckiest guy on the planet.
Everywhere he shows up, so do giant monsters. Bad luck for his entire family too.
Fortunately he had all the secret skills whenever he needed them.

What a waste of money.

BeeVee
05-20-2014, 01:16 AM
We saw it last Friday and it was okay, but no better. I liked Monsters, but this felt he was thrown lots of money and lost his creativity. However, the way it was shot gives you the same impression of scale that Shadow of the Colossus did on the PS2, you really feel how huge stuff is compared to the humans and where SoTC was big, this really is HUUUGE.

This is also much louder than SoTC and Monsters, but the 3D is a waste of time and there's nothing at the end of the credits.

For the 3D I've read one site that says the director (Gareth Edwards) really liked it and another where the DoP (Seamus McGarvey) says he hates it. What surprises me a little is that McGarvey was also DoP on Avengers, which was also a post job, but the 3D in that was splendid. Really added to the film because Marvel spent the time and money. Read this, it's a good interview with McGarvey and was conducted before Godzilla was finished so there are no spoilers in it:
http://www.pushing-pixels.org/2013/10/03/the-fine-art-of-cinematography-interview-with-seamus-mcgarvey.html

B

erikals
05-20-2014, 02:33 AM
i love 3D, for sci-fi, but without the glasses which tends to make everything dark... :/

hope to see glasses-free 3D soon, i know Dolby / Cameron is working on something for the theaters...
let's see...

James Cameron discusses his support for Dolby 3D
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?141664-James-Cameron-discusses-his-support-for-Dolby-3D

GandB
05-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Only watched the 2D version yesterday with my son. We both loved it. I try not to be overly-critical, and just enjoy the movie. Could it have been better? Sure. Could it have been worse? Absolutely. I'm very selective about seeing a movie in 3D these days; most of the time, it's a waste of money for me (especially if you multiply the cost by 5).

meatycheesyboy
05-20-2014, 08:43 AM
My wife and I watched it on Sunday and both quite enjoyed it. I stay up to date on a lot of movie news and such so I knew going in that Godzilla wasn't the focus of the film and that he doesn't even show up until the 2nd hour so that didn't bother me. It did great numbers at the box office his weekend but I wonder how that'll hold up in it's second week once word gets out that Godzilla is barely in the movie. The way I've been describing it is that it was a very un-blockbuster summer blockbuster.

Markc
05-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Saw it last night in IMAX 3D, and loved it..........so there :D

VonBon
05-21-2014, 09:18 AM
I liked it. Only thing i didn't like is
how they used "Walter White" in
all the previews and then killed him
in the 1st 30 or 40min.

gordonrobb
05-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Dude! Spoiler alert :)

I lived it too. But then I normally like films a lot of other people have problems with.

Davewriter
05-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Saw it in IMAX. Had a good time. It could have had a lighter moment or two tossed in just to give a bit of break. My inner 13 year old was cheering during all the city stomping. And YES - there needed to be something either in or at the end of the credits. An astronaut aboard the international space station looking out a window and saying "hey, what's that?"
Because let's face it... he'll be back!

spherical
05-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Have yet to see the film but that is a good shot to have created a bit of perspective, in both senses of the word, and separate this version from all the rest. Who's writing this stuff, anyway!?!?!? C'mon, think a little.

Davewriter
05-22-2014, 07:25 PM
I think that is where I was mentally arm wrestling myself. My inner kid wanted to see a big FX version of the silly rubber suit Godzilla movies. This one is very much like the original. Being a cautionary tale... with some tasty eye candy thrown in.

Spaceland
05-22-2014, 07:48 PM
I found that the main star of the movie is not getting enough viewing time.

the movie could be called something else the Godzilla.

probiner
05-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Have yet to see the film but that is a good shot to have created a bit of perspective, in both senses of the word, and separate this version from all the rest. Who's writing this stuff, anyway!?!?!? C'mon, think a little.
Looked for the info after the movie. Made sense...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1440919/?ref_=tt_ov_wr
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1709264/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

BeeVee
05-23-2014, 02:59 AM
My inner 13 year old was cheering during all the city stomping.

I get fed up with all the destruction - I guess it started with one of the superhero movies or perhaps the second Star Trek film. Half of some city gets wiped out and the only nod given to all the destruction is bemoan the loss of a few crew members. Obviously in the case of Godzilla it's all about the destruction of cities, always has been; but it's disappointing that just because something's easy now thanks to CG, it means that it's practically compulsory and meaningless.

B

erikals
05-23-2014, 03:14 AM
agree, unfortunately it's hardly impressing anymore... :/

probiner
05-23-2014, 03:30 AM
Depends xD
https://vimeo.com/94502406

Now that's insignificance..

BeeVee
05-23-2014, 03:49 AM
This was a *great* use of wanton destruction, it made the story :D. It's when it doesn't add and is ignored (since it doesn't "really" happen).

B

rcallicotte
05-23-2014, 05:05 PM
We enjoyed it. The story is a little haphazard and the acting is okay. The fun Godzilla, etc.

octopus2000
06-08-2014, 04:43 PM
godzilla 2014 was pretty good compared to the roland emmerich version. i've seen some of the japanese versions, i wasn't really a fan of those. the man in a dinosaur costume just wasn't working out for me.

even though there are dramatic scenes in the current 2014 version, it's not too much. it was an enjoyable movie, worth the ticket. i felt satisfied afterwards.

djwaterman
06-10-2014, 08:25 AM
I saw it at IMAX in 3D (free tickets), special effects were faultless, the many human interest sections literally had me nodding off, everything about the monster sections were awesome, but I haven't thought about it since, except that it confirms my dislike of 3D as a narrative movie format. I would've kept Malcolm in the Middle's dad alive and turfed Kick ***, and trimmed 30 minutes, but a good effort none the less.

jwiede
06-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Obviously in the case of Godzilla it's all about the destruction of cities, always has been; but it's disappointing that just because something's easy now thanks to CG, it means that it's practically compulsory and meaningless.
Blame much of that on the acting. Large-scale catastrophe has such a dire, shocking effect on people, yet in most such movies the actors never even remotely convey that sense of horror, displacement, and just sheer gravitas over the immense loss of life, which is so oppressively pervasive in major real-life catastrophes. Think people wandering around WTC area after 9/11, and that haunted, distant look of pure shock everyone had. Now compare it to the "aw dang it, good people lived there. (sniff)" level of pathos used in so many recent movies with such carnage. The catastrophes aren't believable or impacting because the way the actors portray their reaction to it bears no resemblance to how they'd react if it really happened.

Cloverfield had moments of brilliance, IMO, in that regard. I thought the ending (with the camera sideways in the rubble) did a decent job of portraying that quiet, detached horror that sets in immediately after a major catastrophe. Movies lately emphasize noisy chaos too much, but that takes a while to build after the event IRL -- right after the event, this odd, horrible dead quiet sets in, and they don't do a good job of that (IMO). I guess they figure short attention spans don't allow for it, but I really think having it (and having the actors behaving properly in it) makes for a vastly more visceral impact.

A bit stream-of-conciousness explanation on my part, but hopefully I got my point across.

IgnusFast
06-15-2014, 12:10 AM
I've seen the new Godzilla 3 times now, and loved it every time. I don't go into a movie about 300+ foot tall monsters and think, well, the story seemed a little silly. Any damned story involving 300+ foot tall monsters is going to be fairly high on the silly scale, no matter how much science or back-story they try to inject. Hell, look at Star Wars - that series was WAY more fun before midichlorians and trade delegations. Then again, Star Wars was a lot better before the Ewoks invaded, too.

I completely enjoyed Godzilla for what it is, in the same way I enjoyed Cloverfield and Pacific Rim. I would love to see the sequels to any of these!