PDA

View Full Version : modeling question

octopus2000
05-19-2014, 04:31 PM
what is the standard practice for applying textures to lightwave models? do you hit ctrl D first before sending the model to layout? do you apply the textures before or after you hit ctrl D?

ernpchan
05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Freezing your model has nothing to do with texturing/surfacing methodology. What are you trying to accomplish?

unstable
05-19-2014, 05:40 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I select the polys of my model in Modeler and hit "q' to change the surface name to what I want and set a basic color (not texture). After I have all my surfaces named, I send the model to layout and use the Surface editor (F5) and preset panel (F8) to apply my textures to each surface. Of course I may want to alter or create new surfaces as well. I hope this helps.

ArtGoblin
05-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Are you using UV's ? And yes, it generally would be better to give you a helpful answer if you could explain a bit more what you are trying to accomplish... as far as I know there are only about a million ways of going about it, and it all depends on the situation at hand... and even then, there are probably multiple choices :D

octopus2000
05-19-2014, 07:49 PM
thanks for the tips i think i just figured it out, in modeler the textures don't stick to the model if you move it. but in layout the textures are locked.

BeeVee
05-20-2014, 01:25 AM
The textures would be locked if you are using UVs, but only then. It's because Modeler has no concept of the difference between world and local coordinates. I only ever texture in Layout because of that. Like unstable said, just dissociating the areas of your object into the different surfaces with a basic colour is enough to do in Modeler.

B

Surrealist.
05-20-2014, 10:06 AM
thanks for the tips i think i just figured it out, in modeler the textures don't stick to the model if you move it. but in layout the textures are locked.

As mentioned already. But I am going to put another slightly different technical spin on it.

In every 3D program you have a mesh container we often refer to as an object. The object is like a cage on a thrill ride at a theme park and the mesh data the hapless soul who bought a ticket and wonders what he got himself into when he is just about to loose his lunch.

The cage can spin around in all directions and take the victim with it. However the guy with his sandwich now in his lap can freely move about the cabin usually not of his free will as he slides from side to side in the cage, bumps his head and generally tossed around.

However all of this movement is contained within the cage. So that as he may slide from the right to the left within the cage on the seat, hat could be in any direction at any given point on the ride when you consider the world space that flies by in all directions around him. When standing in line and looking up at what must surely be a fun time, you see the guy spinning in all directions and being tossed about. That you mistake screams of horror for fun is another matter entirely.

But in his space, up is still up (like when his sandwich made its way back up the shoot it went down) and down is still down, left is left and right is right.

Now lets take this cage and rig it up with 6 cameras. Two on the sides two for front and back and then two for up and down. We will then record this wonderful joyus ride and edit out all of the screams of "oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!! get me off of this thing now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I am gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And replace it with some heavy metal music and cut together some footage for a theme park commercial.

In this split 6 screen presentation of the affair we see this guy moving around from each of these camera views. These are your XYZ texture coordinates for the poor mesh guy. They (the cameras) stay the same. And mesh guy is jumping all over. Not exactly staying in one place in relation to the screen view.

That is us moving him around in modeler in relation to the fixed cameras.

What happens outside of the cage (world space) has nothing to do with it.

Unless you map the texture to world co-ordinates.... and I think they banned that ride. But no matter, we are only in the computer so images flying through your mesh guy that are locked in space as he moves through it in the cage are not hazardous to our health.