PDA

View Full Version : LW 7.5 crashes at 43%

webshot
11-21-2003, 07:45 PM
When I render caustics....LW crashes all the time @ 43%. I know this is a tech supprt question. BUt it being the weekend I was hoping a tech person comes on or someone know what I can do. WHen I turn off caustics the scene renders fine. Please help....If you need scene details please let me know. It is nothing real intense

southparx
11-22-2003, 01:24 PM
i've had this same problem as well quite some time ago

as far as i rememberred, mine was like this:
i was testing caustics and everything worked well (render tests) and still fine until i stopped at a point then saved the objects and scenes, then few days later i decided to play with it some more, then when i opened the scene and did test renders it crashed at around 50%.

there was nothing i could do, but since it was just a testing scene i didnt bother much. i guess this is a bug or just my software's defect?? i tested caustics on other kind of scenes, worked okay when doing it, but crashed when loaded back...:confused:

webshot
11-22-2003, 06:02 PM
That is exactly what happened to me. I rendered b4. It worked. Then went back to caustics to do some tweaks and now it does not work. I guess I will call them on Monday. Whew....one of the good perks to actually purchasing software...."tech support". If anyone has an idea please let me know.

gjjackson
11-22-2003, 09:33 PM
One thing I'd consider is cofig files. There've been a few occasions of bad plugins so I deleted all the config files and reloaded the plugins. It could take a while if you have 3rd party plugins and don't know which is causing it.

webshot
11-23-2003, 09:13 AM
hey gj -- Could you let me know how I can go about doing that? I am using the darktree plugin, pretty much the only plug in I have right now.

mkiii
11-23-2003, 11:19 AM
It may sound stupid, but my old work machine used to do this regularly for larger renders. I tried all the usual stuff to no avail - even changing RAM, adding more & so on.

Eventually it transpired that it was inadequate CPU cooling!

Normal renders put a massive load on the CPU, but usually for short periods, and you don't notice any problems. However, try doing something more complex, especially if it takes longer to render - such as Hypervoxels, Radiosity, or caustics, then the CPU gets hotter & hotter until something gives - generally the app that's running.

So my advice is to get hold of a freeware mobo monitor, and see if you render does push the cpu too much. If it does - a new fan/heatsink is quite a cheap fix.

Try http://www.voodoofiles.com/177

webshot
11-23-2003, 01:52 PM
I think I figured it out. Well kinda, it has something to do with this darktree shader I had on their. I removed the shader then I was able to do caustics. Either tha or it was the combination of the shader and Fast Fresnel. I will contact darksim to see what is up....

I will also look into that lil proggy, but doesnt XP already have a bandwidth profiler?

mkiii
11-23-2003, 04:10 PM
I was suggesting that, as a last resort, you check the temp of the cpu as it is put under load, rather than the cpu usage, which as you say can be monitored via the task manager.

Either way, sounds like you have the culprit now.