PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Creative Cloud suffering extended outage

shrox
05-15-2014, 09:34 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2155621/adobe-creative-cloud-suffering-extended-outage.html

Megalodon2.0
05-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Yeah.

Been watching the angry postings over on FB. I find it amazing that Adobe has said repeatedly that you "don't need to connect to the internet but once a month," and just about everyone could not work.

Fortunately you've got LOTS of people saying that they will now be cancelling. Looking good. ;)

spherical
05-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Underlying problem with that is, even if you do only "need to connect to the Internet once a month", grace period notwithstanding (if that even works—which is seems it doesn't), when it happens to be your time to run the validity check gauntlet and the servers are Borked, so are you. Duh!

The whole pendulum swinging from Big Iron to Distributed Computing and back to the Emperor's New Big Iron (Cloud Computing) is just so illogical it's quite funny.
"Let's create a series of points of failure... Yeah... that's the ticket."

hrgiger
05-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Oh yes, its all over for Adobe. :rolleyes:

Megalodon2.0
05-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Oh yes, its all over for Adobe. :rolleyes:

You're such a funny guy... :ohmy:

shrox
05-16-2014, 01:42 AM
I've got CS4. Hurray for procrastination!

pauland
05-16-2014, 02:17 AM
I can't see a problem now.

No probs with CS4, as long as someone doesn't give you a CS5, CS6 or CC file!

Waves of light
05-16-2014, 03:55 AM

That's only happened to me once in the last two years, so I'll stick with CS4 thanks.

pauland
05-16-2014, 04:52 AM
I'll stick with CS4 thanks.

I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't. I would too ( if my clients didn't feed me CS5 and CS6 assets ).

Waves of light
05-16-2014, 04:53 AM
I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't. I would too ( if my clients didn't feed me CS5 and CS6 assets ).

Sorry, I was actually agreeing with you.

kopperdrake
05-16-2014, 09:20 AM
CS5.5 here, and I'm wondering wether to update to CS6 as my last Adobe update (I heard there was some basic tracking features in AE that might be worth having?). I've shied away from CC, and I'm going to hold out as long as I can to join the CC (I'm talking at least a couple of years), to see how the big picture pans out. I figure in a couple of years what will happen will have happened - the stability, pricing and updates will be a known quantity, and I can decide whether Adobe is for me then. It also gives me a couple of years to keep the ear to the ground for alternatives, and it gives potential alternatives a couple of years to be developed. This is definitely one wagon I'm not jumping on early.

I recently sent out an email to clients I work for (ad & marketing agencies), and not many of those have upgraded to CC yet, even a big one I do work for. They've recently upgraded to CS6, and suspect they're doing a similar thing - waiting and seeing, but the senior designers weren't too happy about the whole CC thing.

GandB
05-16-2014, 09:50 AM
I bought CS5 a few years back, and see no reason to upgrade to CS6 at all. For my purposes (game art) Adobe really isn't offering anything special; if anything, there are better/competing products available now....especially in the texturing department.

As far as if the sky is falling for Adobe; I think (judging from the totality of responses and conversations I've witnessed) that it is clear that they are not in a good place right now. This, of course, was their choice alone. I don't remember anyone forcing them to take away consumer choice of owning, versus renting. They used their market dominance (as of now), plain and simple. A few people have proposed the "nay-sayers" to simply move to something else if they're not happy....knowing full well that there really isn't anything that covers all that Adobe does (at the moment). That's a false choice, which should be obvious; especially considering any Freelancer or individual wanting to work for a studio will more than likely be REQUIRED to know and use Photoshop, among other Adobe tools.

I know many more game artists who haven't upgraded their PS in years. As long as game engines accept .PNG, .DDS, etc. formats; that's all we need. I don't see any game engines willing to adopt a different format anytime soon, so that puts the brakes on any "change-up" that Adobe may try on that front.

So, for those that enjoy the one and only choice available to them right now; I say good for you, have fun with it. But don't expect the rest of us to drink the kool-aid; and please stop telling us that we shouldn't be complaining or posting our "issues". You can always "opt-out" of threads like these. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
05-16-2014, 02:52 PM
So, for those that enjoy the one and only choice available to them right now; I say good for you, have fun with it. But don't expect the rest of us to drink the kool-aid; and please stop telling us that we shouldn't be complaining or posting our "issues". You can always "opt-out" of threads like these. :thumbsup:

Keith, of course a choice between CC and a permanent license would be best but that's not on the table right now. So the only choice right now is CC or nothing as permanent licenses are coming to an end. The mistake made by a few on this thread and others like it is that those who are using CC right now must do it because they only like having one choice. Not the case. But currently, CC is a better and more affordable option for some which is what a few of the CC nay-Sayers can't seem to grasp. Megalodon for instance keeps insisting over and over and over that those who have bought into CC must not understand the implications of software rental and cant understand why anyone would choose that route. And of course you're free to complain and posting your issues about Adobe's cloud service...but doing it over and over again here on the the LightWave forums seems a bit ineffective.

spherical
05-16-2014, 03:56 PM
I just wish that everyone would stop pushing their points, as to what is "better". Stop defending. Stop preaching. What you will do is another matter. What someone else should think and do is up to them.

GandB
05-16-2014, 09:19 PM
But currently, CC is a better and more affordable option for some...

For sure. The only issue I really have, is when people jump on a thread that specifically takes to task Adobe's effort to get everyone to jump on board their rental scheme....with no real alternative (once they stop issuing permanent licenses)....and wants to (basically) label people who agree that there's an issue, as whiners (for lack of a better term). I can agree that people should be left to their own opinions; but that doesn't mean we can't debate (or update as time goes on) it, without getting nasty (as has happened on both sides).

At the end of the day; the consumer will choose whether or not this mechanism succeeds or fails. Current studios don't have to adapt to up and coming artists, and their tool-set choices; but that doesn't mean some of those same artists won't create a competing studio, using alternative tools at their core.

I agree though, that we could all work on being more civil to each other....myself included.

Here's a little more insight into what the consequences for some were (including monetary): http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=7817303&postcount=9

shrox
05-16-2014, 10:04 PM
I look at it this way. If the power fails for good and it all goes Mad Max, with a generator and solar panels I can still run my computer and use CS4 and Lightwave. Won't be that way with CC.

Megalodon2.0
05-17-2014, 12:56 AM
I look at it this way. If the power fails for good and it all goes Mad Max, with a generator and solar panels I can still run my computer and use CS4 and Lightwave. Won't be that way with CC.

But then... your number of clients would be severely limited. :)

Emmanuel
05-17-2014, 06:01 AM
Yeah, I guess Youd be busy finding food and water.

Tranimatronic
05-17-2014, 10:43 AM
But then... your number of clients would be severely limited. :)

Pretty soon ALL clients will be limited - this guy will have them
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1183008

Megalodon2.0
05-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Pretty soon ALL clients will be limited - this guy will have them
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1183008

Someone should have informed that guy that if you buy Lightwave, THEN the clients will come out of the woodwork looking for him. :D

Sounds like a 10 year old who saw what Modo can do - and hasn't seen ANY other software - and thinks that if HE had it, he would have people banging against his door to pay him for his work. Where do these people come from?

shrox
05-17-2014, 03:01 PM
All you customers be mine.

jeric_synergy
05-17-2014, 03:19 PM
I can't ever read this thread title without thinking it says "suffering extend outrage"....

Megalodon2.0
05-20-2014, 01:36 AM
"Why Adobe’s Creative Cloud is a really, really bad idea for the sheeple"

"Last Wednesday, May 14, at around 2PM PST Adobe’s cloud services went down rendering Creative Cloud, Digital Publishing Suite, and anything else that required authentication with an Adobe ID dead in the water.

Then it got worse: The services stayed down for a staggering 28 hours and, shall we say, “inconvenienced” about 1,000,000 users.

I write “staggering” because subscribers to Creative Cloud aren’t, in the main, using the various cloud products for fun; these are workhorse apps that underpin real, critical business needs and when they go down for any length of time people are losing money.

When I first heard of Creative Cloud being the future strategic direction for Adobe I was surprised and doubtful that users of apps such as InDesign and Photoshop would be comfortable with what amounts to losing control of their tools. To my surprise, many of these users did, with little complaint, migrate sheep-like to Adobe’s cloud offerings and now, I suspect, are coming to regret it.

Adobe’s rationale wasn’t anything to do with improved functionality or performance, it was a very obvious and, given the downside for users, cynical move to convert buyers into renters forcing those who would drag their heels when it came to paying for upgrades into becoming a predictable revenue stream."

And there is more...

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/85433?mm_ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

-----------------

And here's another....

Creative Cloud outage: Adobe ID login failures mean Daily Mail’s digital edition couldn’t be published

"After being hit by an extended outage yesterday, Adobe’s login system is working again and customers are able to use their Adobe IDs to access the Creative Cloud and other services. For creative customers, being locked out proved frustrating – though workarounds were quick to appear for many issues – but for publishers using Adobe DPS (Digital Publishing System), it was even worse."

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-software/creative-cloud-outage-adobe-id-login-failures-mean-daily-mails-digital-edition-couldnt-be-published/

pauland
05-20-2014, 01:46 AM
Zzzz.. ..someone wake me when something new appears.

Megalodon2.0
05-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Zzzz.. ..someone wake me when something new appears.

Don't worry, I'm sure that there will be another outage - or cyber attack - on the Adobe servers soon enough.

We'll let ya know. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
05-20-2014, 03:01 AM
Again, despite your stance on CC, just another slash job by a biased author. Even in the comments, you get differing views on how it actually affected users. Lets just say 1,000,000 users? That sounds scientific. Well, lets just say (because its true) that many users didn't even realize that Adobe services were down because the apps kept working as always. Mine did. The only people who most likely would have been affected were either new users trying to sign up for the first time or those trying to update their software. A whole 28 hours services were down. People lose more productivity when they get sick. And yet the world continues to turn. Another non-story.

spherical
05-20-2014, 03:17 AM
Let me guess..., you have a lot of Adobe stock?

erikals
05-20-2014, 04:10 AM

think i'm out of the loop here, why would CS5 / CS6 cause problems here, wouldn't that only go for CC... ?

jwiede
05-20-2014, 04:15 AM
Again, despite your stance on CC, just another slash job by a biased author. Even in the comments, you get differing views on how it actually affected users. Lets just say 1,000,000 users? That sounds scientific. Well, lets just say (because its true) that many users didn't even realize that Adobe services were down because the apps kept working as always. Mine did. The only people who most likely would have been affected were either new users trying to sign up for the first time or those trying to update their software. A whole 28 hours services were down. People lose more productivity when they get sick. And yet the world continues to turn. Another non-story.
Just for the record, updates were working to an extent, at least as of Sunday. I know because my CC apps updated just fine (it had been a while). I only read of the outage here after they'd completed updating.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me guess..., you have a lot of Adobe stock?
Because obviously anyone who disagrees is a shill in one way or another? Suuuuuure.

VIDandCGI
05-20-2014, 05:35 AM
In news today CC working fine here.

Totally agree with hrgiger here these non stories are boring, you don't even have to get into the meat of the article to realise the author is writing from a biased viewpoint to begin with.
Its like many of the articles previously linked, tripe... believe the last one was by someone with no industry knowledge with a nice little promo for the book they had written and were pushing from a totally unrelated field.

Internet journalism at its best.

Best thing I find is that you have all these people, by all I mean the same people repeating over and over... that they are outraged that the CC service is out/down, but they don't own it!!!
Meanwhile those of us who do, silently got on with our work as usual.

pauland
05-20-2014, 06:44 AM
think i'm out of the loop here, why would CS5 / CS6 cause problems here, wouldn't that only go for CC... ?

It's just that CS4 is not going to be able to import assets in a later CS or CC format. It's not an issue if you're not part of a pipeline where later versions of Adobe software are being used.

erikals
05-20-2014, 07:32 AM
oh, like that, yeah...

...thinking about getting CS3 or CS4, as i'd need PhotoShop for Quixel nDo (http://dev.quixel.se/)

...best thing would be to get CS5, as i can adjust the brush size easily in it...
that is a "OMG i can't believe Adobe didn't add that feature sooner" moment... :l

it's on the edge to ridiculous, anyway,...
maybe i could make an AHK hack to make it work... :/ :°

edit, or then again, why do it if a cool guy already did... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif
http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2008/09/30-photoshop-brush-controller/

hrgiger
05-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Just for the record, updates were working to an extent, at least as of Sunday. I know because my CC apps updated just fine (it had been a while). I only read of the outage here after they'd completed updating.

- - - Updated - - -

Because obviously anyone who disagrees is a shill in one way or another? Suuuuuure.

exactly John.

erikals
05-20-2014, 08:18 AM
you can't say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EyH1Ne_hY

Megalodon2.0
05-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Adobe Creative Cloud outage workaround highlights DRM issues

"The outage of Adobe Creative Cloud has caused substantive difficulties in the publishing world by tying a DRM scheme to locally installed software.

Last week, Adobe experienced a major outage of the authentication system that allows users to log in to Adobe Creative Cloud programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and InDesign, among others, and the online support forums for those products. Many businesses, particularly the media, rely on Adobe Creative Cloud for mission-critical uptime, and the outage has caused substantive difficulties for subscribers."

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/adobe-creative-cloud-outage-workaround-highlights-drm-issues/#.

m.d.
05-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Best thing I find is that you have all these people, by all I mean the same people repeating over and over... that they are outraged that the CC service is out/down, but they don't own it!!!
Meanwhile those of us who do, silently got on with our work as usual.

Agreed....
Any CC users here outraged?
With 1,000,000 affected there should be some here.....

Netflix went down 8 times in the last 2 years.....and they are a subscription based service.

Megalodon2.0
05-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Netflix went down 8 times in the last 2 years.....and they are a subscription based service.

And how much productivity/money did you lose when that happened?

m.d.
05-20-2014, 08:44 PM
None....
How much did you lose when adobe went down?

Megalodon2.0
05-20-2014, 09:02 PM
None....
How much did you lose when adobe went down?

Another "when did you stop beating your wife" question.

MANY of us WOULD have lost that productivity AND money had we subscribed. All one has to do is look at the MANY articles as well as Facebook and even the Adobe forums themselves to see the people that actually did lose money.

Why don't you go there and ask them? :)

m.d.
05-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Another "when did you stop beating your wife" question.
Why don't you go there and ask them? :)

Not sure I understood the "when did you stop beating your wife question" part...must be a regional thing

Good question....why don't we take this whole thread there.

But alas, I am not interested in a flame war, and am not going out of my way to defend Adobe....

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Not sure I understood the "when did you stop beating your wife question" part...must be a regional thing

Not really.

http://scienceblogs.com/tfk/2012/03/02/have-you-stopped-beating-your/

VIDandCGI
05-21-2014, 02:07 AM
If you want an argument to be taken seriously I wouldn't quote puff pieces and list Facebook as a reliable source of information. As for forums anyone with a clue knows its a question of the loudest voice scenario.

Really all I see so far is a case of slinging as much mud as possible to see if any of it sticks.

Come back with a currency I deal in, FACT and I will trade.

Problem is that when it comes to issues like this is so many people have set out their shingle already that they can't come in with facts, debate the issue and walk away with a reasoned opinion. Instead they come charging in and anyone with a contra opinion is automatically wrong in their eyes.

As mentioned by someone else earlier this is the sort of post best taken to the Adobe forums, because at the moment I feel like someone who's walked into a shoe store to only be told that they only stock bananas - yes they are loosely linked by the word slip but in reality they are totally unrelated.

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 03:20 AM
If you want an argument to be taken seriously I wouldn't quote puff pieces and list Facebook as a reliable source of information. As for forums anyone with a clue knows its a question of the loudest voice scenario.

Really all I see so far is a case of slinging as much mud as possible to see if any of it sticks.

As I have already stated, MY FRIEND had the exact problem stated - unable to use the software. He has been a PS user for two decades. He was livid. And I have friends (on FB) that are professional photographers I've know for over five years and they too had problems. You can choose to ignore these FACTS or simply say they're just not real. I don't really care. But whether you choose to believe it or not, it happened - ADOBE ADMITS IT.

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2014/05/15/recent-service-outage/?scid=social24037944

You call them "puff pieces." And yet there are many of them and you still choose to not believe it was widespread? Apparently you only choose to believe what is right in front of you and not the experiences of many others. There are lots of these "pieces" available and they are not being posted by amateurs, but rather professionals who NEEDED the service.

You deal in fact? The fact is, it happened.

As mentioned by someone else earlier this is the sort of post best taken to the Adobe forums, because at the moment I feel like someone who's walked into a shoe store to only be told that they only stock bananas - yes they are loosely linked by the word slip but in reality they are totally unrelated.
That's too bad.

VIDandCGI
05-21-2014, 04:23 AM
I originally took out a section about the friend card, I knew it, I should have left it in...its AMAZING! how many people have THAT friend. Even if its true, you then have personal experience of 1 person and at 2nd hand - who may be even more biased than you about the CC if thats even possible.

Now you make assumptions about my views having no FACTS to back them up... just won't even bother to comment on that as it appears to be your modus operandi when dealing with anyone on these forums who disagrees with you.

As for quantity of articles equaling quality and accuracy... little green men exist, why? because there are thousands who claim to have been abducted and written about it.
I also question the quantity though as its people recycling the same info over and over again, rather than let legitimate concerns get addressed or having your say then letting others who may even agree with you have their say to generate real debate. Look at any FB discussion its filled with repeat posters - yes Im not marginalising the issue, it is BIG, but never take the internet as an example of the size of the issue - at the size Adobe is, its about %'s.

As for too bad... again whatever, no real reasoning so just a personal attack against me.

This isn't even about the FEW hours that CC was down - no-one is really arguing about it not happening but about the fact you keep posting articles that you dredge up about Adobe and the CC every time you find one. A silent majority really probably don't care - Its like someone coming on here everyday and posting that the Sun came up each day, B-O-R-I-N-G!

What I come for and I suspect others do too, is to see great works of art, read and share new techniques, ask and answer questions about the use of Lightwave etc. What you post is vitriol dressed as opinion masquerading as fact. Like I said come back with some constructive criticism of CC, discuss alternatives etc. and you would probably end up with a FAR better debate of what most certainly is an important, potentially industry changing issue as we all know that Autodesk has adopted a similar strategy that may expand in various guises across the landscape.

erikals
05-21-2014, 04:41 AM
what i don't get is why answer at all, i mean, you see the subject, just ignore it, move on.

if you already know the outcome of this discussion > let's face it, you do, why not just move along.

for me however i see it as some input on CC, which i'm fine with, in fact i see it as very valuable.
(as CC / LW is a workflow i use / used)

it shouldn't be that hard to jump over a thread... (even though i understand it can be annoying to some)

m.d.
05-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Some input is fine, I agree.

I personally come here for the insults, as a CC user I'm a bit of a masochist :)

GandB
05-21-2014, 09:42 AM
All I can say, is that I hope you folks that haven't experienced any of the issues that others clearly have; don't come across problems such as this (or worse) in the future. All I hear in this, and other threads elsewhere, is that if it doesn't affect you it's "no big deal". That's pretty sad, in my opinion. However, as I've also said, consumers will dictate the future viability of Adobe's decision to take away true choice. People will vote with their wallets (one way or another), despite anything we say.

m.d.
05-21-2014, 10:09 AM
All I can say, is that I hope you folks that haven't experienced any of the issues that others clearly have; don't come across problems such as this (or worse) in the future. All I hear in this, and other threads elsewhere, is that if it doesn't affect you it's "no big deal". That's pretty sad, in my opinion. However, as I've also said, consumers will dictate the future viability of Adobe's decision to take away true choice. People will vote with their wallets (one way or another), despite anything we say.

I lost access to one app on my desktop.
I complained on the adobe forum....

shrox
05-21-2014, 10:19 AM
I only started this thread as a news item that is relevant to us.

m.d.
05-21-2014, 10:45 AM
And it is relevant.....don't stop

Rayek
05-21-2014, 11:42 AM
CC is fundamentally a (not so) disguised DRM system to prevent users from not paying for updates, and keep paying the monthly upkeep. In its very essence a modern digital version of a serfdom. Ironically, a throwback to the medieval age.

I quote:

To its credit, Adobe did tell the press that it would assess compensation for affected users on a case-by-case basis; some were affected for up to four hours. And, it did provide a workaround. Affected users were told to disconnect from the internet, quit and re-open affected applications; in the absence of an internet connection the applications default to operating for 30-days from the last time a user logs in.

But in an odd twist, the solution seems to illuminate an issue here. Adobe’s creative cloud isn’t a cloud-based application as its name might suggest, but a form of digital rights management (a persistent authenticator) built into the company’s latest client-side software to prevent pirating and generate sticky revenue for the company.

Source: http://www.businesscloudnews.com/2014/05/20/adobe-creative-cloud-too-little-too-soon/

The real question is: "when is enough features in software enough?" Many Adobe users were not paying for new updates, sticking to (very) old versions of Adobe applications, because the new features were of no interest to them. The old versions did exactly what they needed.

Tale of Two Deals - start

This was undercutting Adobe's profit margins, and being a company accountable to the shareholder paradigm where profits must always grow and grow, the writing was on the wall that this business model was no longer viable for constant profits growth. Profit margins were down.

So, Adobe's first move was to introduce a two version back limit for updates. Did not really work. Many Photoshop users are/were quite happy with CS2 or even older versions, for example.

Thus, the idea of a subscription based forced upkeep model was born to keep the share holders (Emperor) happy. Of course, to sell this model to the actual users a lot of "benefits", whether real or imagined, were attached to subscriptions. The serf analogy can be drawn even further here: with a "Cloud" subscription came your own "Cloud Space", mirroring the idea that a serf is allowed a plot of land to work on, but that plot of land or the tools are not owned by the serf. According to the license agreements, Adobe reserves the right to remove and block access to any content it deems "wrong" or in breach of copyright law. Adobe, as a company, became the Lord of the Manor, overseeing the behaviour of its serfs. Nor are the tools owned anymore, and controlled by Adobe who reserved the right to cut off anyone from their tools.

A low entry introductory subscription rate made certain that many early adopters bought into this model. But it is important at this point to realize that this subscription paradigm's main goal is to keep the share holders (the emperor of old) happy in the minds of the Adobe CEOs, and the users (potential serfs) are second in that consideration. User support kept degrading during this time as well.

Seeing the initial positive response to this new model, and the (still) rather large chunk of perpetual licenses being sold, Adobe CEOs decided it was time to cut off perpetual licenses. No more CC perpetual licenses. CS6 perpetual licenses are still being sold, but no longer updated. A relatively small and unimportant group of old loyal users (elders) complained, and tried to persuade Adobe to keep the perpetual license as an alternative. Their voices were ignored, for Adobe's first loyalty lies with the shareholders (emperor). Many elders decided to leave Adobe tools behind, and look for alternatives. As far as Adobe is concerned, these elders were going to die soon anyway. Look forward, not back. Keep growing.

The overall entry user experience was made as simple as possible. On the other hand, to keep users who subscribed from leaving, exiting or ending a subscription was made just that bit harder and more complicated. For example, canceling an annual contract before the last month means the user must contact Adobe through other means. Only in the last month can this be done online. And canceling an annual sub before the last month incurs a financial penalty. Subtle, but effective means to keep the serfs working Adobe's land, and to prevent them from leaving.

In addition, at this point Adobe stopped selling boxed copies as well, further consolidating digital sales, and cutting costs even further. All great news for the share holders, and in combination with the prospects and promises from Adobe of ever-growing revenue, Adobe stocks soared skyward.

Dissenting voices, especially among Photographers, and lower than expected subscriptions (though never admitted externally), forced Adobe to come up with new subscription deals, such as the $10 Photoshop/Lightroom sub, and new team subs at lower subscription rates to keep the influx of new subscriptions going. A number of times Adobe introduced these new deals a short time in advance of the quarterly reports, to appease the shareholders with the new increases in sub numbers.

While profits were down compared to the previous year, the promise of the continuous upkeep, the to be increased sub rates, and the rhetoric of Adobe's CEOs to the market and the shareholders, all result in Adobe's stock value being at an all time high.

Naturally, Free tradesmen (companies and governments) did not play ball according to Adobe's new sub model, though. Companies, schools, and governments are by their very nature wary of these type of restrictive subscription licenses, and companies and governments in particular are slow and unwilling to update. To force matters, Adobe decided that the CS6 Version of the Adobe Creative Suite will no longer be sold under its Cumulative Licensing (CLP) and Transactional Licensing Programs (TLP).

...and that is where our tale ends at this point in time, but it is far from its conclusion.

Will Adobe expand their new digital serfdom? Will the Emperor start seeing the truth behind the figures, or will the market continue to religiously believe in Adobe's new paradigm? Will the serfs be prepared to pay for the increased subscription costs? Will the elders who are now working on new tools be able to defy the Adobe serfdom, and be able to offer Adobe serfs their freedom? Will the serfs allow themselves to be freed, or will they be quite happy to live in their limited cloud space? When will the Lord of the Manor decide to completely stop selling CS6 perpetual licenses?

We shall see. The future holds the answer. :question:

:beerchug:

sadkkf
05-21-2014, 12:02 PM
If Adobe actually added new and useful features they may not have seen a drop in upgraders. I think this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScWu7pG7r0)speaks volumes about PS's usefulness of late.

hrgiger
05-21-2014, 12:27 PM
The fact is, as an adobe CC customer, I wouldn't have even known the outage happened if I hadn't seen a story about it (probably here). I was still able to use my adobe applications same as always.

I'm sure some users were inconvenienced by the outage but Adobe wasn't dishonest about it and have offered compensation for those who wish to pursue it. Mistakes happen, and some things are unavoidable. I just wonder how many people were truly affected by it in any substantial way. And if they were actually affected, who do people blame when the power goes out for a day or more when a power line goes down? And who does their work for them if they are sick and unable to work? We're talking about an outage of 4 hours more then a day. Nobody loses a day of work from time to time?

Sounds like people are trying to make mountains out of molehills.

m.d.
05-21-2014, 12:28 PM
As for the updates...

They have stepped it up a lot lately....depends on your field
PS has seen some little boosts, 3d printing, painting in 3d
But AE PPRO and SpeedGrade get the lions share

Mask tracking inside ppro
sync multiple video tracks via audio waveform
dynamic link with speedgrade

GPU debayering of red footage..... i sold my $5000 red rocket card when I saw this, so a pretty significant update....about 9 years of subscription cost

sadkkf
05-21-2014, 12:40 PM
@HRGiger --

Agreed. A few hours of inconvenience isn't a big deal. To me this seems more like a symptom of Adobe's rash decision to go cloud-only before the product was fully tested. Other symptoms are all the storage issues people have faced, but again, not a big deal.

I still believe this was a move based on greed instead of usability or customer focus or money savings or whatever Adobe sells it as today.

BTW--I'm very sad to learn about your death. ;)

@m.d. --

It's good to know they're updating their products with useful features. It's been a long time coming. 3D painting in PS has really been a long time coming. Too bad there are tons of other apps out there that do this really well.

m.d.
05-21-2014, 12:50 PM
@

It's good to know they're updating their products with useful features. It's been a long time coming. 3D painting in PS has really been a long time coming. Too bad there are tons of other apps out there that do this really well.

i'll never use it of course....

there update cycle is now about every 4-5 months as well....not always showstoppers, but usually good workflow improvements

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 02:14 PM
The fact is, as an adobe CC customer, I wouldn't have even known the outage happened if I hadn't seen a story about it (probably here). I was still able to use my adobe applications same as always.
That's YOU. Not everyone else. How many times have people come in here and complained about LW instability and constant crashing? It RARELY happened to ME but I still believed that these people were having a serious problem. Just because YOU didn't have problems doesn't mean that others didn't - and YOU were not on any deadline that REQUIRED the use of Adobe software. This is a case of "it didn't happen to me and I was okay so I don't see what all the fuss is about." Sad AND more sad.

Sounds like people are trying to make mountains out of molehills.
Again, YOU were not affected and you cannot seem to empathize with people who were. YOU think is was small potatoes. YOU didn't have that deadline.

Did you even stop to think that if Adobe is considering compensation that this was a SERIOUS issue for many people? Do you think that Adobe would make any statement about compensation if MANY people were NOT angry and yelling at Adobe? And NO, this is not a case of s few on forums (like myself) yelling about it. Get your head out of the sand and REALIZE that this was a serious issue for MANY and it is NOT "mountains out of molehills."

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Another "puff article" piece:

Adobe Creative Cloud: Too little too soon?

"Millions of Adobe’s Creative Cloud users were unable to access their services late last week because of a malfunction with the database that stores Adobe Live account logins. The issue may highlight the growing crisis Adobe faces with its “cloud” software."

http://www.businesscloudnews.com/2014/05/20/adobe-creative-cloud-too-little-too-soon/

shrox
05-21-2014, 02:40 PM
My thread.

Be nice.

SBowie
05-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Be nice.I agree. While the various aspects of 'cloud versus mankind' can arguably be of generic interest to the community, invective is not something we really have much tolerance for. It's no surprise that there are some strong feelings and campaigning on topics like this, but let's avoid making it personal.

m4a2000
05-21-2014, 03:19 PM
So as some one moving a whole video program from Final Cut Pro 7 to Premier Pro should I wait or use the cloud now?

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 03:22 PM
but let's avoid making it personal.

But he started it Dad. :cry:

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 03:26 PM
So as some one moving a whole video program from Final Cut Pro 7 to Premier Pro should I wait or use the cloud now?

Moving to Premiere Pro CC, remember that you will have to pay Adobe FOREVER just to be able to open and edit your files. You will NEVER own a license to the software. If that doesn't bother you, then I would say go for it. Also, hope that you are one of the lucky ones (that appear to be here) that don't have issues with logging on and using the software. Good luck either way.

m4a2000
05-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Moving to Premiere Pro CC, remember that you will have to pay Adobe FOREVER just to be able to open and edit your files. You will NEVER own a license to the software. If that doesn't bother you, then I would say go for it. Also, hope that you are one of the lucky ones (that appear to be here) that don't have issues with logging on and using the software. Good luck either way.

Yeah that does bother me a lot. Heck I still won't download a triple A game... Call me old school but I want hard copies of everything! However, what I want is over ruled by what work needs and we can't afford Macs any more. I can get two PCs for the price of a iMac right now but that means moving away from FCP7... Unless there is a way to get it to work in Windows 7 and no one has told me how to.

m.d.
05-21-2014, 03:49 PM
Moving to Premiere Pro CC, remember that you will have to pay Adobe FOREVER just to be able to open and edit your files.

not true

PPRO exports EDL AAF OMF and final cut XML.....XML being the most comprehensive
I send projects back and forth to all kinds of apps.

In fact, when apple killed final cut 7.....final cut x couldn't open final cut 7 projects....and PPRO could
Just make sure you export a final cut XML as well as saving a PPRO project

Someone did eventually make an app to allow this
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/7tox-for-final-cut-pro/id496926258?mt=12

its conceivable someone could do the same for adobe products in the future

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Yeah that does bother me a lot. Heck I still won't download a triple A game... Call me old school but I want hard copies of everything! However, what I want is over ruled by what work needs and we can't afford Macs any more. I can get two PCs for the price of a iMac right now but that means moving away from FCP7... Unless there is a way to get it to work in Windows 7 and no one has told me how to.
There are MANY options available. I use Sony Vegas Pro and it works great. Others have moved on to Edius and Avid. I'd still recommend Vegas Pro.

Here is a thread at CGTalk that has Adobe alternatives.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1107365&highlight=Adobe

not true

PPRO exports EDL AAF OMF and final cut XML.....XML being the most comprehensive
I send projects back and forth to all kinds of apps.

Yes true. I know people who have worked forever in Premiere and there are some aspects of the program that are NOT back and forth compatible NOR are they compatible with PP CS6. And try using several plugins along with it - of course Adobe SAYS you can, but like in InDesign CC, their "methods" for being compatible often do not work. Face it - it's a NEEDLESS workaround that is entirely unreliable. You can say I'm totally against CC and that's why I have my POV - and I can say the same thing for Adobe apologists.

Someone did eventually make an app to allow this
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/7tox-for-final-cut-pro/id496926258?mt=12

its conceivable someone could do the same for adobe products in the future
Conceivable? So you would bet on MAYBE? I sincerely doubt that ANY professional would do that.

m.d.
05-21-2014, 04:24 PM
I am one of those guys that has used PPRO forever.....not a friend of mine...
When someone is asking for advice on a certain app....it would help to listen to the opinion of an actual user
Every cut and transition will be compatible....of course effects you add that are CC only will not be.

My point with the Apple app is apple did kill compatibility....and someone did eventually create a plugin. But i'm not betting on anything....
Adobe already has all the features in place for a PROFESSIONAL environment where more then one program is used....

Vegas XML is one of the worst in the industry for round tripping in a professional environment
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/975624
Vegas itself is a great app....

And Avid????
They are not even reporting earnings anymore....good chance they will not be with us in a few years
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/02/avid-maker-pro-tools-now-losing-money-faster-delisted-nasdaq/

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 04:34 PM
I am one of those guys that has used PPRO forever.....not a friend of mine...
When someone is asking for advice on a certain app....it would help to listen to the opinion of an actual user
Every cut and transition will be compatible....of course effects you add that are CC only will not be.
It's a workaround - something that you don't NEED to do if you don't have CC.

My point with the Apple app is apple did kill compatibility....and someone did eventually create a plugin. But i'm not betting on anything....
Adobe already has all the features in place for a PROFESSIONAL environment where more then one program is used....
Yes, I agree. I don't like Apple because of their methods.

Vegas XML is one of the worst in the industry for round tripping in a professional environment
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/975624
Vegas itself is a great app....
This is about app interoperability. I don't NEED to send my Vegas project to "the Apple gang." What I make in Vegas, stays in Vegas. And chances are, the poster of the question will ALL be on PC's and using the same app.

And Avid????
They are not even reporting earnings anymore....good chance they will not be with us in a few years
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/02/avid-maker-pro-tools-now-losing-money-faster-delisted-nasdaq/
I'd have to agree here too. While Avid IS a professional app, it's future is in question.

m.d.
05-21-2014, 04:38 PM
The vegas critique isnt just for the apple gang...

I send XML into Davinci and Fusion all the time, in a multi app environment it is crucial to have, and adobe has done it best...

If your stuff is staying in vegas, then ya...seriously underrated editor.
If I was wary of adobe....I would admit vegas would be my first choice.

hrgiger
05-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Again, YOU were not affected and you cannot seem to empathize with people who were. YOU think is was small potatoes. YOU didn't have that deadline.

Did you even stop to think that if Adobe is considering compensation that this was a SERIOUS issue for many people? Do you think that Adobe would make any statement about compensation if MANY people were NOT angry and yelling at Adobe? And NO, this is not a case of s few on forums (like myself) yelling about it. Get your head out of the sand and REALIZE that this was a serious issue for MANY and it is NOT "mountains out of molehills."

Sorry Megalodon but Adobe is offering compensation to only those who make a case for it, not giving it indiscriminately which they would do if it was such a serious issue. Clearly right now you're looking for any negative feedback from Adobe users (having no experience with CC yourself) and using that as representative of the Adobe CC userbase. And yet the only negative comments I've seen here are from people who don't use CC and are just mad about the decision to go subscription only and I don't see a lot of actual users of CC on this thread or all the other ones you guys have started complaining about CC issues. And BY the WAY, YOU DONT have to CAPITALIZE every OTHER word for EMPHASIS. IT amounts to YELLING, and that's just RUDE.

And yes, that's right, I can only report what I have experienced in the last year and a half of using Adobe CC, not report what my "friends" or other people are experiencing which you are clearly quick to do to try and prove your case that Adobe CC amounts to a failure. And yet in a year and a half, I have not experienced a single issue with the service. I've only had to sign into Adobe 3 times in the last year and a half, once when I initially installed it, and twice more for a new OS installation and a OS reinstall. I've not once not been able to open any of the apps or had any issues with updates which there are usually at least a few a week. You would think that if the system was so terrible, I might experience a single problem. Not the case.

And this is not about agreeing with Adobe's decision to go cloud only. I wish they would offer a choice but clearly they are fairly committed to this decision. But the only people I see with their heads in the sand are those who are pulling links off the internet without any actual experience of the program to show a large scale disaster instead of the individual cases these are. Mountains out of molehills.

hrgiger
05-21-2014, 04:57 PM
BTW--I'm very sad to learn about your death. ;)

@m.d. --

Thanks! :) As with the Adobe outage, the world moves on.

BigHache
05-21-2014, 06:53 PM

If it's a move you do plan on making, I would go ahead and jump into it as soon as possible. The sooner you do, the sooner you can get fully functioning and proficient.

I don't hate Premiere Pro but it has had some annoyances. It also has some nice features. It should be fairly easy to convert from FCP7 to PP, the UI's are not all that estranged and neither are the workflows. Should be plenty of friendly help online to get you sorted as well either here, Adobe forums or the Cow. Good luck!

shrox
05-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Yes, the fact is there was an outage. If it lasted 31 days, apparently that would be a problem.

hrgiger
05-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Those who have their head in the sand are those who refuse to believe that others have serious problems with CC and that it is BAD for all software users.

Well come back when you have some actual experience with Adobe CC and then we can talk instead of just mysterious friends who live in the Niagara Falls area and biased internet testimonials. And I never doubted that people have had difficulties with CC but I fail to believe its as widespread as you're trying to make it out to be. The only thing I really see is a lot of just anger at people who don't like the cloud only service. Which is understandable. But call it that instead of trying to portray that the service in of itself is a trainwreck when I see nothing that indicates that.

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Well come back when you have some actual experience with Adobe CC and then we can talk instead of just mysterious friends who live in the Niagara Falls area and biased internet testimonials. And I never doubted that people have had difficulties with CC but I fail to believe its as widespread as you're trying to make it out to be. The only thing I really see is a lot of just anger at people who don't like the cloud only service. Which is understandable. But call it that instead of trying to portray that the service in of itself is a trainwreck when I see nothing that indicates that.

Okay. I give up. You win. Everything I said was incorrect. There were no major problems. Move along, nothing to see here.

robertoortiz
05-21-2014, 09:42 PM

"f anything can be gleaned and applied here from the re-birth of Microsoft, it’s that stiff competition can compel a company to be more open, more flexible (which includes offering on-premise and cloud-based versions of software, each with distinct market propositions), and more in tune with the needs of its customers.

GPU virtualisation is in the offing but the technology isn’t quite there yet, so offering a fully cloud-based version of its creative suite software may have to wait (though the company has said it’s working on it). But when combined with its monopolistic position it increasingly appears as though Adobe is, for the time being, content having its cake and eating it too, offering non-cloud software on a cloud consumption model basis while offering customers few of the benefits of cloud and exposing them to all of the drawbacks (security breaches, unplanned outages). The company has even elicited petitions from customers asking the company’s leadership to stop forcing users to pay cloud subscriptions for what is effectively non-cloud software"

http://www.businesscloudnews.com/2014/05/20/adobe-creative-cloud-too-little-too-soon/

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 09:48 PM

"f anything can be gleaned and applied here from the re-birth of Microsoft, it’s that stiff competition can compel a company to be more open, more flexible (which includes offering on-premise and cloud-based versions of software, each with distinct market propositions), and more in tune with the needs of its customers.

GPU virtualisation is in the offing but the technology isn’t quite there yet, so offering a fully cloud-based version of its creative suite software may have to wait (though the company has said it’s working on it). But when combined with its monopolistic position it increasingly appears as though Adobe is, for the time being, content having its cake and eating it too, offering non-cloud software on a cloud consumption model basis while offering customers few of the benefits of cloud and exposing them to all of the drawbacks (security breaches, unplanned outages). The company has even elicited petitions from customers asking the company’s leadership to stop forcing users to pay cloud subscriptions for what is effectively non-cloud software"

Already posted that Roberto. Hurry... RUN AWAY. You are just against CC and this outage was not really THAT serious. Read the recent posts to see. ;)

spherical
05-21-2014, 10:35 PM
... And the religious war continues ... Heels dug-in. Defend your decision at all costs; just because you want to feel better about how you did or didn't spend, and/or continue to spend, your $$$. Also some people remind me of Republicans, while others remind me of Democrats and still others remind me of Independents. I wonder what the correlation may be. Hmmmm....

There is only one thing that all seem to agree on: That Adobe removing choice is a dumb-*** move and serves only them. Leave it a that and CLOSE THIS THREAD, so it can finally drop out of our daily sight. (Yeah, I'm free to not come in here but it's just too tantalizing to read some of the skewed spew that I can't help myself.)

shrox
05-21-2014, 10:51 PM
... And the religious war continues ... Heels dug-in. Defend your decision at all costs; just because you want to feel better about how you did or didn't spend, and/or continue to spend, your $$$. Also some people remind me of Republicans, while others remind me of Democrats and still others remind me of Independents. I wonder what the correlation may be. Hmmmm....

There is only one thing that all seem to agree on: That Adobe removing choice is a dumb-*** move and serves only them. Leave it a that and CLOSE THIS THREAD, so it can finally drop out of our daily sight. (Yeah, I'm free to not come in here but it's just too tantalizing to read some of the skewed spew that I can't help myself.)

I just posted it as news. Kind of like "is it me or is everyone having problems with this?" thing.

Rayek
05-21-2014, 11:26 PM

Davince Resolve 12 may be a game changer - it's supposed to come out in the upcoming weeks/june. For FCP users this tidbit of info may be of interest:

Resolve’s powerful round tripping can import and conform your sequences using everything from basic EDLs to AAF and Final Cut XML’s. That means DaVinci Resolve is the world’s most compatible post production application.

The amazing thing is that the Lite version is completely free, and allows up to 1080p editing. The new NLE features look very, very interesting.

Do I have to mention the excellent colour grading?

This is going to be great. I have been a long time Premiere user and quit using Adobe products about 18~19 months ago. Lightworks is also nice, but DaVinci Resolve 11 looks excellent.

Btw, version 10 also includes a NLE.

Oops, forgot linky: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/davinciresolve/workflow

hrgiger
05-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Adobe Creative Cloud: Too little too soon?...

Another obvious biased story. Notice the language..."Millions of users were affected" used a couple times in that piece. Millions, really? Last time I checked and it was recently, there was just under 2 million subscribers. So there aren't even "millions" of CC users, how could 'millions of users' possibly have been affected? Also, "growing crisis".. What growing crisis? You could call Adobe going cloud only a crisis if that's how you choose to look at it but 'growing crisis'? Please. Also, log into applications? You don't log into the applications. That makes it sound like to open an application, every single users has to log in and they were unable to do that. Either the Author is clueless as to how the system works or he's just trying to be dramatic and make things sound worse then it was. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Of course, you can glean everything you need to know from that article too if you look for it. Adobe provided a workaround for those affected by the outage by taking them back to the apps operating for 30 days from last login. So if people actually bothered to contact Adobe upon having issues, they would have been provided a workaround for them to be able to use their applications regardless of the outage. So many people had no issues during the blackout, and others would have been able to use a workaround. So how many people were really affected? Millions? Drama Queen story.

Megalodon2.0
05-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Also, log into applications? You don't log into the applications. That makes it sound like to open an application, every single users has to log in and they were unable to do that. Either the Author is clueless as to how the system works or he's just trying to be dramatic and make things sound worse then it was. I'm leaning toward the latter.
You can CHOOSE not to believe what many people (yes, many) say on Facebook AND on the Adobe (and other) forums, but apparently many HAVE to log on to the Adobe server every time they start up the program - or they cannot use the program. If you want to, you can call them all liars. Again - JUST because you don't have that problem doesn't mean that they don't. LW rarely crashes here. But I guess that if YOU had a crash you really didn't, because *I* don't.

And for the record, I agree with you about the "millions of users affected." A little dramatic and distorted. But it WAS many since Adobe had to address the issue of compensation.

Adobe provided a workaround for those affected by the outage by taking them back to the apps operating for 30 days from last login. So if people actually bothered to contact Adobe upon having issues, they would have been provided a workaround for them to be able to use their applications regardless of the outage.

You must think that everyone is stupid. If you had bothered to check FB (and Twitter) - which you obviously did not - that workaround did not work for many people. Do you honestly think that the people seriously affected did not contact Adobe? Do you want to spend HOURS on the phone waiting for support? Check out FB and the Adobe forums and see for yourself.

(Oops, I forgot)

Okay. I give up. You win. Everything I said was incorrect. There were no major problems. Move along, nothing to see here.

geo_n
05-22-2014, 12:38 AM
I couldn't access adobe cc a few days ago. :D
But I installed a new beta release so I had to login. If I didn't install a new build it would have worked without needing to login.
And when I couldn't login I just selected the 30 day trial and it worked fine.
But I accept subscription based software now just as I accept that I have to pay for water, electricity, phone bills, internet forever.
But only on selected software. Adobe is just industry standard. I wouldn't do subscription on smaller appz or non industry standard appz.

spherical
05-22-2014, 02:38 AM
I just posted it as news. Kind of like "is it me or is everyone having problems with this?" thing.

I know. Nothing bad on you at all. It's just taken a really ugly and useless turn.

GandB
05-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Just remember that "bias" can go both ways.

robertoortiz
05-23-2014, 05:25 AM
Adobe Creative Cloud outage workaround highlights DRM issues

The outage of Adobe Creative Cloud has caused substantive difficulties in the publishing world by tying a DRM scheme to locally installed software
The "service" in software-as-a-service

Unlike software-as-a-service (SaaS) offerings from other companies, this is not a case in which the SaaS offering is a cheaper alternative compared to the standalone desktop version. Adobe Creative Cloud is the only means through which users can access the most recent version of programs previously offered in Adobe Creative Suite, such as Photoshop. Adobe announced in May 2013 that no further versions of Adobe Creative Suite would be offered, instead opting to force all users onto the subscription-based Adobe Creative Cloud, to the frustration of users.

It is not the case that users of Creative Cloud are second-tier citizens in this ecosystem; Creative Cloud is intended to be Adobe's premier ready-for-primetime offering. The difference between the two products is relatively slim -- Creative Cloud uses a new, incompatible file format, and offers cloud storage of files, along with some web-based utilities for desktop publishing. Overwhelmingly, the product is the same as it ever was, with the actual computational tasks being handled by the software installed on the user's computer. As such, the requirement to "log in" to a legitimately purchased program before using any of the cloud-connected services is tantamount to a Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme.
Support and workarounds

The Adobe chat support line (which experienced longer than normal wait times due to the nature of the outage, causing a strain on the system) recommends users check for solutions to their problems on the Adobe support forums. These forums require logging in with the Adobe ID in order to post, a task which proved impossible with the outage of the authentication services.

Adobe, to its credit, did provide a workaround for most of the products affected by this outage. This workaround, as explained by Adobe, is to disconnect from the internet and restart the program on your computer. However, this workaround highlights the extent to which the license verification DRM is broken. Given that the bulk of the software in Adobe Creative Cloud package is actually desktop software with cloud storage features tacked on, the Adobe Login service isn't needed for most of the functions that the software provides.
When pirated software is more reliable

The initial workaround to the connectivity issue is to disconnect the computer from the internet and restart the program. Programs such as Photoshop are not dependent on cloud services to apply visual effects to photos. This will continue to work for 30 days since the last verified login to the Adobe authentication server.

Illicit versions of Adobe Creative Cloud defeat the connectivity check by redirecting the cloud login check to the user's IP, and extending the amount of time that can occur for the next verified login from the Adobe authentication server. (Note: We are not endorsing pirating software.)

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/adobe-creative-cloud-outage-workaround-highlights-drm-issues/#.

pauland
05-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Hmm. It's like groundhog day.

We'd all like Adobe to give people the choices they want, and when it's good for their bottom line, they may well do so, but I doubt they're following this thread to decide on their way forward.

There's a difference between not joining in the 'Adobe is evil' sentiment and not understanding the issues, so it's somewhat insulting for the Adobe naysayers to regurgitate the same arguments and info in the hope of raising a crowd with flaming torches to march on the Adobe HQ. I think that it's fair to say that everyone on the thread understands the negative impact of Adobe's move to software rental and there is respect for those upset about it. Absolutely nobody wants their choices to be reduced.

Some people were affected by the CC outage, while I suspect the vast majority were not. I didn't know about it until this thread appeared. It was just a blip and it's done with now.

If you're not an Adobe CC user, you should count yourself lucky and remain happy with your existing software choices and future decisions, knowing that you are dodging any issues arising out of the Adobe CC cloud. The last thing you should be doing is rehashing an issue about software that you don't use and don't intend to use.

I think we're done now, aren't we?

jburford
05-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Megalodon, could you pretty please knock off the Yelling in your posts? If one has to capitalize key words to knock back at someone continually, then, in my eyes, is a pretty bad state.

As yourself, others may each have their own opinions, but everyone should respect the others rights to such opinions and not need. . . .

Matt
05-23-2014, 11:55 AM
I don't see this thread going anywhere.

Some like the cloud, some don't, some are having problems with it, some aren't.

That's about it right? Can we move on now and create some cool work to post! :)

Cheers
Matt

Megalodon2.0
05-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Megalodon, could you pretty please knock off the Yelling in your posts? If one has to capitalize key words to knock back at someone continually, then, in my eyes, is a pretty bad state.

As yourself, others may each have their own opinions, but everyone should respect the others rights to such opinions and not need. . . .

I DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND, THIS IS YELLING.

What I have been doing, is NOT yelling. But then... you have your opinion and I have mine. I have not said "shut up, I don't want to hear your opinion." They have stated their opinion and I have stated mine. If you and they cannot handle that, then stop reading my posts. It's really that simple. Everyone DOES have the right to their opinion and I have NEVER said that they did not - and if you think I have, you are misunderstanding my posts.

Now I have to agree with Matt - time to move on - at least until the next Adobe debacle. ;)

robertoortiz
05-23-2014, 01:42 PM
I DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND, THIS IS YELLING.

What I have been doing, is NOT yelling. But then... you have your opinion and I have mine. I have not said "shut up, I don't want to hear your opinion." They have stated their opinion and I have stated mine. If you and they cannot handle that, then stop reading my posts. It's really that simple. Everyone DOES have the right to their opinion and I have NEVER said that they did not - and if you think I have, you are misunderstanding my posts.

Now I have to agree with Matt - time to move on - at least until the next Adobe debacle. ;)

I agree with Matt that we should table this one.
But I do have to say that on this issue I agree with Megalodon. And that not all clouds are bad, look at how Microsoft has done it, by allowing a veriety of services instead of ramming down a one size fits all approach.

Ok just wanted to give my 2c before the thread lock.

Thanks guys.

shrox
05-23-2014, 01:43 PM
My thread.

Lets move this thread to finding out what programs are cross compatible. Like will Vegas open Premiere files, etc.

robertoortiz
05-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Actually I am looking for a replacement to AE.
I REALLY NEED something that offers the same functionality in removing greenscreen that I get in Keylight.

kopperdrake
05-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Problem is that when it comes to issues like this is so many people have set out their shingle already that they can't come in with facts, debate the issue and walk away with a reasoned opinion. Instead they come charging in and anyone with a contra opinion is automatically wrong in their eyes.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/388795/adobe-offers-compensation-for-creative-cloud-outage

For a laugh, I worked out some really basic figures for how much the Daily Mail would have lost from this one edition - directly. I really can't remember where I went, but I dug some figures from late last year up from the web for their income from the Mail Online, which was the only web presence they had at one stage. Then I managed to get reasonable numbers of subscribers to the Mail Online, and then to how many subscribed to Mail Plus (their new online magazine presence that didn't get published), and worked out a rough percentage breakdown for the overall revenue generated. It came to something like £20k. Now I know this is likely to be extremely innacurate, but at the very least it gives an order of magnitude to the numbers we're talking.

My point is, as much as I personally dislike the way Adobe is going, this is one of the highest profile customers to have suffered as a result of the outage, in the UK at least. And we're talking probably half the annual salary of one of the devs for that product. It's not a huge amount, really, when you think about it. Really, it's not. I would love to hear more definite results from the outage, but there don't seem to be many for some reason. I suspect what might hurt Adobe more, as a result of this burp, is that it *can* happen. It did happen, and it's likely to happen again. And that scares people, because next time it might be them. The fear of 'what may happen' can be quite a driving force if it sits in the subconscious long enough.

Megalodon2.0
05-23-2014, 02:44 PM
My thread.

Lets move this thread to finding out what programs are cross compatible. Like will Vegas open Premiere files, etc.

I don't have Premiere Pro, but I do believe that one of the features of Vegas Pro is that it CAN import Premiere Pro files - but NOT above CS6. So you would have to save the CC version into a CS6 version format. But do NOT take my word for it, check it out.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageID=883726

Actually I am looking for a replacement to AE.
I REALLY NEED something that offers the same functionality in removing greenscreen that I get in Keylight.

Have you seriously checked out Hitfilm? Apparently it does do greenscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X30EoKEQh4o

I plan on getting into it when I (eventually) upgrade my Sony Vegas Pro to the Sony Suite.

Hail
05-23-2014, 03:07 PM
My thread.

You can still start a thread?;)
Thought your arms were out of commission :D :D

- - - Updated - - -

My thread.

shrox
05-23-2014, 03:48 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I still have my nose.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have Premiere Pro, but I do believe that one of the features of Vegas Pro is that it CAN import Premiere Pro files - but NOT above CS6. So you would have to save the CC version into a CS6 version format. But do NOT take my word for it, check it out.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageID=883726

Have you seriously checked out Hitfilm? Apparently it does do greenscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X30EoKEQh4o

I plan on getting into it when I (eventually) upgrade my Sony Vegas Pro to the Sony Suite.

That's the spirit.

Rayek
05-23-2014, 04:23 PM
My thread.

I've mentioned this before in this thread, but I think it got missed amidst all the arguing.

DaVince Resolve 11 (out in the upcoming weeks) prides itself on being round-trip compatible with most industry standard video applications:

I quote:

Move projects between your favorite NLE and VFX software! DaVinci Resolve can share sequences and round trip projects with Final Cut Pro X, Media Composer, Adobe® Premiere Pro® CC and more! That means you can edit your project on any system, then using XML, AAF or EDL’s, you can link back to your full quality camera RAW files and finish in greater bit depth with DaVinci Resolve. You can also drop VFX shots from After Effects® CC and Nuke directly into the timeline for final grading and finishing. DaVinci Resolve is the world’s most compatible post production solution and can be used with dozens of other software tools so you can focus on getting your job done.

The NLE looks extremely powerful:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/davinciresolve/edit

Watch the edit video. I know what I will use on my next edit job. And grade in the same app.

djwaterman
05-23-2014, 05:23 PM
You can purchase Keylight directly from the Foundry, or use the native one that come with Final Cut Pro X, it's mean't to be pretty good. Hitfilm as has been mentioned although Hitfilm may be format limited. But if it's just Greenscreen that you needed AE for your lucky, there is nothing out there that replaces AE for motion graphics. Pretty much every app in the Adobe suite is easily replaceable but not AE, sophisticated node base compositors are great for shot by shot effects work, but bread and butter motion graphics that has to be out the door quickly is much better done in AE, and there are all those 3rd party plugins written for it.

shrox
05-23-2014, 05:23 PM
I've mentioned this before in this thread, but I think it got missed amidst all the arguing.

DaVince Resolve 11 (out in the upcoming weeks) prides itself on being round-trip compatible with most industry standard video applications:

I quote:

The NLE looks extremely powerful:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/davinciresolve/edit

Watch the edit video. I know what I will use on my next edit job. And grade in the same app.

Cool. People will like that.

m.d.
05-23-2014, 05:58 PM
You can purchase Keylight directly from the Foundry, or use the native one that come with Final Cut Pro X,

foundry discontinued all versions of keylight except nuke and final cut....

no more ofx ect.

I use keylight primatte and fusion native, and always found fusion native better then keylight....

m.d.
05-23-2014, 06:03 PM
if you need a free AE replacement, autodesk composite is out there as well.

Even though you can replace any adobe app (photoshop is a hard one to compete with) the real strength is the dynamic link between.
Audition, photoshop, PPRO, AE, and speedgrade...all have a dynamic link connection...meaning no rendering of intermediate files nothing.

Before adobe did the CC debacle....it was a no brainer to use there workflow...now it depends on your tolerance to the 'rental' idea

Megalodon2.0
05-23-2014, 08:59 PM

This looks pretty good. ;)

Slightly more expensive (than Vegas Pro) for the pro version, but it definitely looks more than capable. As soon as 11 comes out I'll have to check out the lite version.

m.d.
05-23-2014, 09:31 PM
This looks pretty good. ;)

Slightly more expensive (than Vegas Pro) for the pro version, but it definitely looks more than capable. As soon as 11 comes out I'll have to check out the lite version.

light is pretty capable....only uses 1 gpu to accelerate, only 1 red rocket, and missing some of the noise reduction (neatvideo is better anyway, and can be used in resolve through ofx) and limited to 1080p output
and no stereo 3d....other then that not missing much compared to pro

Megalodon2.0
05-23-2014, 11:51 PM
light is pretty capable....only uses 1 gpu to accelerate, only 1 red rocket, and missing some of the noise reduction (neatvideo is better anyway, and can be used in resolve through ofx) and limited to 1080p output
and no stereo 3d....other then that not missing much compared to pro

At this point I've been mainly working in 720p, though I should start rendering in 1080p at the very least. Yeah, I was going down the list and Lite seems quite capable. I'm pretty happy with Sony Vegas Pro, but DaVinci does look tempting. Of course at this moment I can't even afford to pay my voice actors, so it can wait. ;)

sami
05-24-2014, 06:51 AM

You should consider DaVinci Resolve 11 :)

hrgiger
05-24-2014, 06:13 PM
At this point I've been mainly working in 720p, though I should start rendering in 1080p at the very least. Yeah, I was going down the list and Lite seems quite capable. I'm pretty happy with Sony Vegas Pro, but DaVinci does look tempting. Of course at this moment I can't even afford to pay my voice actors, so it can wait. ;)

Sure you can http://www.fiverr.com/categories/music-audio/voice-over-narration/#layout=auto&jls_sca1216_1_auto=1

Megalodon2.0
05-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Sure you can http://www.fiverr.com/categories/music-audio/voice-over-narration/#layout=auto&jls_sca1216_1_auto=1

Thank you for this!

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending upon how you look at it) I already have established voice artists - found them in '09 and I've been working with them ever since. And my work is a cartoon that requires acting, not "plain" voice over. I tried it myself using a voice changer, and I pretty much suck. In fact my lead voice actor has been featured on a prominent nation-wide set of commercials. I definitely pick good actors! :) I do have one part that I plan on using an additional actor, so perhaps one on that site may be interested.

Again, thanks!