PDA

View Full Version : Best work flow to remove video files from drive without reset of incremental counter?

ttromp
05-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Can anyone help me with the best strategy to remove files from TX460 project without causing a reset of the incremental file counter? We're recording a project that's spread out over 2 weeks and generate about 400Gb x 3 a day of ISO video recordings that we need to quickly move off the hard drive. Removing the second HD is fine and we can copy those files off, but also removing the files on C: (a h.264 from the livestream plugin) and 2 more files to d: we're finding that removing all the files results in resetting the counter.

Is there a correct way to do this that keeps a sequential counter for the duration of the project?

Thanks

Tim H.
05-15-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm not super-familiar with how the TriCaster does its incremental file naming, but based off of an older digital camera I owned, I would always copy all of the files off of the camera, then delete all but the latest file.

That way, the camera always saw the latest file and started the incremental file names from there. It shouldn't take too long to run an experiment to see if the TriCaster works like that, too.

Sincerely,

Tim Hedegaard
Virtualsets.com, Inc.
NewTek Authorized Reseller
NewTek Developer Partner - Customized LiveSets for HD-series TriCasters

www.virtualsets.com
[email protected]

(323) 512-1542 office
or call toll-free: 1-855-TRICAST

ttromp
05-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks Tim,

We're in the middle of a production and don't have time to test at the moment but when we do that's great advice :)

tim

SBowie
05-15-2014, 02:08 PM
I may be wrong, but recollection is that TC will back fill the missing numbers below the last one.

Tim H.
05-15-2014, 02:31 PM
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm not super-familiar with how TriCaster naming conventions work for this. :) If Steve is correct, here is a potential workaround:

If it does backfill the missing incremental file names, (short of a TriCaster feature to change this), a solution may be to create a 1 second placeholder file that is copied the appropriate number of times. Should be relatively simple to do...and wouldn't consume much space.

A file renamer utility would help with the consecutive renaming, if more than a few video files.

SBowie
05-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I had a similar notion. You could probably do it with empty ascii files deliberately missnamed.