PDA

View Full Version : Waveform Question

paulfierlinger
03-05-2003, 06:10 AM
Could someone fill me in with some details about the proper use of the waveform filter? I use it often enough to understand the functionality, but what does the numbers size (slide) next to Luminosity represent? And when clicking on "apply" the waveform picture is stamped onto the project window -- what is the purpose of this; who uses it and when? Baffled.

Paul Fierlinger

Robert Zeltsch
03-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Hello, with this setting you can make the waveform/vectorscope display brighter or darker.

And when clicking on "apply" the waveform picture is stamped onto the project window -- what is the purpose of this; who uses it and when?

You can make cool animations with this if you apply the filter to an animated layer. Hm, in one of my recent projects I have created a science fiction like display with it. (used it in LightWave)
:D
The possibilities are endless...

paulfierlinger
03-07-2003, 06:05 AM
I suspect that the numbers represent a degree of legality beyond which nothing should show below zero if you work in NTSC etc. The graph appears not just brighter but reveals more details beyond a certain point. This must be an aid to help you get proper levels of luminosity in your project for different applications. And why is there an option to hide the woman's drawstring bag used especially as a carryall (aka reticule)?

>>You can make cool animations with this if you apply the filter to an animated layer.<<

Hard to believe that this would be the sole purpose. "Apply" in other Aura filters means that you can alter your project display.

>>The possibilities are endless...<<

I suppose, on a foggy day ...

Paul Fierlinger

SBowie
03-07-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by paulfierlinger Hard to believe that this would be the sole purpose. "Apply" in other Aura filters means that you can alter your project display.[/B] Aah, now I see where you are coming from, Paul.

No, this filter doesn't actually permit any direct control over luminosity, or color. It is largely informational only. This is unlike filters like Color Adjust, and Histogram for example, which as you know DO produce changes in the values in the image. The possibility of "applying" the Waveform filter does open up a few animation possibilities, but adjusting its settings and then applying it has no effect on the original image (unless you obscure the image with the filter itself!).

paulfierlinger
03-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Steve, I guess so, which is a pitty. It seems to me that someone had once planned to make it control the luminosity but gave up on it for a later release. I end up color correcting my scenes in DPS/Velocity, which has an excelent vectorscope and for whatever it's worth, the Aura one shows the same values, only in lesser details and we have learned to pay attention to every little dot at the margins of the peaks, because they are not as marginal as they make themselves appear to be.

Paul Fierlinger

SBowie
03-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by paulfierlinger
Steve, I guess so, which is a pitty. It seems to me that someone had once planned to make it control the luminosity but gave up on it for a later release.
Paul Fierlinger I can see where it might seem that way, but really I think it's just a different implementaion of the Toaster's WF/V scope, which requires the Proc Amp module to do any real correction. I like the idea of a filter that combined those functions though, and I often wish the panel was re-sizable!