PDA

View Full Version : Not seeing an SDI feed

Ditch
05-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Hello,

We have 3 Panasonic GH2s connected to a TriCaster 300. We convert the HDMI output of the GH2s to SDI via Blackmagic HDMI to SDI battery converters.

It seems that this works when we are set on 1080 SDI input, but does not work if we are set on 720 SDI. When set to 720 there are wide horizontal lines in the image.

We were happy using 1080 except that now I want to add some Canon Vixia HF R400 cameras to the mix. They too have HDMI output and I am trying to find some combination of Vixia and TriCaster settings that enable me to see the GH2s and the Vixia cameras but I can't get it all to work. When I connect the Vixias to the Blackmagic converters and then the TriCaster all I get is a black screen.

I am assuming that the output of the Vixia is somehow not readable by the TriCaster, but I don't really know enough about this whole process to understand what's going on.

Blackmagic tells me that their converter is just passing thru whatever it is fed.

Does anyone know how to get the Vixia to be in same format as the GH2?

Thanks.

Labmaster
05-15-2014, 01:05 AM
Hello,

HDMI could be a beast.
A HDMI source (eg camera) usually outputs the signal type that is negotiated (EDID) with the receiver (eg. TV, Monitor .. or HDMI to SDI converter)
And here is the problem, a converter that supports many formats but don't get information from its receiver itself (eg SDI does not transports such informations in that direction) does not know whats the right format to negotiate with the source (eg. camera).
My big problem is always to understand how a specific converter handles this situation and if it supports the negotiation process at all.

The best solution i found, is to insert a so called EDID emulator/faker between source and converter, this faker is then part of the negotiation process instead of the converter. Usually such fakers could be programmed by a computer or could learn a format by a correct sending HMDI source.

Popular EDID emulator/faker devices are "Dr HDMI" or "Aten VC080", but i think there are couple more avaiable.

best regards,
Walter

Ditch
05-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Danke, Walter. This was helpful. It explained some other info I was getting from other forums. Plus you offer a solution I will investigate.

gigtime
05-16-2014, 05:11 PM
I've got three Vixias running to my 300 model using the same BM converter with no problems at 1080i. Mine are HFS20's.

Ditch
06-19-2014, 12:16 AM
Gigtime,

How do you have the HFS20s set? In what order do you power things on?

Why do you think your setup works, but mine doesn't?