PDA

View Full Version : Archived Link for VT EIDE Video Options?

WannaBToasting
11-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Just wondering where I might go for a relatively comprehensive discussion on EIDE video storage options on users' VT systems.

any info on the subject from yourselves -- or any recommended links appreciated!

Meanwhile, I'm attempting to scour the VT discussion archives...

Peter G

[email protected]

Paul Lara
11-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by WannaBToasting
wondering where I might go for a relatively comprehensive discussion on EIDE video storage options on users' VT systems.

The readme file would be a good start, Peter:

"Disk Speed (SCSI vs. IDE) is a measurement of how many MB/s your drive system can pull from your drive array at any given time. A single uncompressed stream requires about 20Mb/s to be pulled from a drive in order for playback. When you build a RAID system, this allows all the drives in your machine to act as if they where a single drive system, thus allowing much higher transfer rates to be achieved (the data is striped across multiple drives.)

Unfortunately while the transfer rate from the drives is increased (it is not the combined speed of all your drives) the seek times are not. When you are playing back multiple streams of video on a system, the drive heads must seek in order to jump between the different files to pull the required frames. If the seek time becomes to high, this will cause dropped frames sine the required data can not be found on the disk fast enough (even though once it has been found it can be transferred very quickly.) Typically SCSI drives have lower seek times (as well as higher transfer rates) and so are recommended for multiple stream-uncompressed playback. Also important is the efficiency with which a drive system performs DMAs across the PCI bus and into system memory; while impossible to quantify and gauge for a particular system without experimentation it is generally found that IDE systems are less efficient than their SCSI counterparts. This said, there are users who have been able to get very good performance from IDE systems, however this requires more expertise with tweaking your computer configuration."

Since this was written, serial ATA has narrowed the gap between SCSI and IDE.

WannaBToasting
11-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
The readme file would be a good start, Peter:

"Disk Speed (SCSI vs. IDE) is a measurement of how many MB/s your drive system can pull from your drive array at any given time. A single uncompressed stream requires about 20Mb/s to be pulled from a drive...

Since this was written, serial ATA has narrowed the gap between SCSI and IDE.

While I've already read the README file (and articles relating to the forthcoming SATA drive technology price break, I truly appreciate your having responded nonetheless, Paul.

Relative to one of my most pressing queries, I'm aware of the fact that relative to Ultra SCSI U160 or 320 use, NewTek states that the user should not use a hardware RAID; rather, the drives are to be striped under Win2000 or XP as RAID-0.

I would imagine someone has the answer to this question (which I haven't seen asked nor answered anywhere (yet) on the forums, nor in any documentaion):

"Is the 3Ware EIDE card I'm looking for, an EIDE *RAID* controller? or is it a 3Ware EIDE controller card *without* RAID circuitry?"

If anyone knows the answer to that one, I'd sure love to hear it!
Thanks in advance.
-Peter G

Paul Lara
11-22-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by WannaBToasting
Is the 3Ware EIDE card I'm looking for, an EIDE *RAID* controller? or is it a 3Ware EIDE controller card *without* RAID circuitry?"

The Escalade cards supports RAID-0, RAID-1, RAID-5, RAID-10, and JBOD.

So, the answer is: it's either a controller card, or a RAID card, depending on which mode you choose to run. This differs slightly from SCSI, where you purchase either a controller card (recommended) or a hardware RAID card (not).

WannaBToasting
11-22-2003, 08:05 AM
Very informative answer, Paul! Among some of the the others here, I knew you had it in you. Thanks!

Peter G

wvp
11-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Hey Peter, I see you are in Laurel. Just a hop, skip & jump from me (Gaithersburg).
If you are looking to buy a system, definatley contact a dealer. I have 3 systems now from VideoHardwareServices. Good guys, very helpful. Definately the way to go.
From what I have read, it looks like the Serial ata drives are the way to go for the best bang for the buck.
Gotta go butter my toast now...
Jeff