PDA

View Full Version : H R Giger has died

starbase1
05-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Sad to see that H R Giger died earlier today, apparently in a fall at his home.

I can't think of any other artist so iconic who managed to keep his style so uniquely to himself - I'm unaware of any successfully imitators of his work who managed to pull it off.

And as someone who cannot live without an undo button, to be able to paint his concepts directly onto a wall just astonishes me...

Nick

ernpchan
05-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Yes, sad that his passing was due to an accident.

His Alien design is probably a top 5 monster design.

starbase1
05-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Yes, sad that his passing was due to an accident.

His Alien design is probably a top 5 monster design.

Err.. Would it have been better if he was killed deliberately?!

Seriously though, I can't think of any other creature design that comes close...
Nick

jeric_synergy
05-13-2014, 08:31 AM
I say in all admiration "Rest in peace, Herr Giger, and thanks for all the nightmares."

A unique talent.

VermilionCat
05-13-2014, 08:43 AM
RIP. He was such an amazing artist.

djwaterman
05-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Err.. Would it have been better if he was killed deliberately?!

Nick

Rather than from old age is probably what was meant. Gee, really, another hero gone.

ernpchan
05-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Yeah I meant by old age.

starbase1
05-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Sorry, I should have picked up on that.

ianr
05-13-2014, 10:18 AM
What a waste,
Such a shame that Sir Ridley didn't activate return to his talent for Prometheus.
I think that he was OWNED a consultancy on that, but Hay Ho!
A fellow artist friend of mine, Roger Sandiland befriended Giger many years ago,
& he died of broken luck,it's fair to say that of a fragile demeanor & a broken heart
as his Alien period paintings show his young dead wife in that Lilith Model period.(suicide)
Sufice to say, the missing of a partner sometimes brings on a for-shorten of some lives.
A great Occult Talent I shall sadly miss. May he find repose- Do what thou wilt!

prometheus
05-13-2014, 10:31 AM
This was sad, a friend of mine notified me by mail about his death, he had an amazing artistic mind and inspired so many with his artwork, no more pain for him and no more horrible nightmares when he closed his eyes.

Michael

hrgiger
05-13-2014, 01:35 PM
yeah i just saw Matt post this on Facebook. Sad news. Alien is undoubtedly one of the greatest creature designs. Fitting i just recently changed my avatar within the last month or so to the Alien.

prometheus
05-13-2014, 03:16 PM
yeah i just saw Matt post this on Facebook. Sad news. Alien is undoubtedly one of the greatest creature designs. Fitting i just recently changed my avatar within the last month or so to the Alien.

The Alien design for me holds up as the unprecidented nr1 alien creature, extremly horrible but as the same time so slick and elegant..itīs sort of a combination of a being that is so extremly deadly and fearful but at the same time magnficient.

Itīs a magnificent specimen you know:) one might actually believe there could be such a creature out there in space.

danielkaiser
05-13-2014, 04:44 PM
I look forward to meeting him in the next round of rebirths.

cresshead
05-13-2014, 05:11 PM
bye old friend

http://www.churtourismus.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/customers/churtourismus/03_Alpenstadt/N41Sehenswuerdigkeiten/Gigerbar_2011__c_Andrea_Badrutt.jpg

shrox
05-13-2014, 05:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff66m7pW-50

Bye Mr. Giger.

- - - Updated - - -

I look forward to meeting him in the next round of rebirths.

There is no rebirth, only horribly mutated clones!

erikals
05-13-2014, 05:26 PM
some amazing designs he did, out of this world.

sad to see him go... :\

till this date, nothing comes close to the alien creature. it's Fantastic..!!

jeric_synergy
05-13-2014, 06:46 PM
I remember I was somewhere and there was a copy of "Biomechanics" (?) .... holeeeeeee crap. Freaked me out in the best possible way.

Davewriter
05-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Having been lucky enough to handle and study both the hero Alien head and the crashed space ship - the U shaped beasty, it only gives you further appreciation for his art. All of his items where "real". That ship looked ribbed, possibly because of the use of bone pieces. Same with the Alien head.
Even after dozens of viewings of the film, having that head up close and... far more frightening.

We will miss a great artist.

prometheus
05-13-2014, 11:06 PM
some amazing designs he did, out of this world.

sad to see him go... :\

till this date, nothing comes close to the alien creature. it's Fantastic..!!

yepp..exactly what I think, even though there might be so many talented artist today and far more advanced techniques both in concept desing and actual monster creation wether it be digital or animatronic/puppet etc, I just donīt think we have seen anything like it since, or maybe we just have seen it all nowadays and are not so easy impressed?

I recall myself doing the facehugger in clay when I went to the 8th grade class at school when having art lessons , think that got throwned away somehow.

I think Giger said he just had to close his eyes and all those horrible stuff showed up, but at the same time he could consider skeletons and bones or the alien design itself beautiful, and I agree they are somehow.

To bad the big spacejockey got burnt up by accident, that was a cool piece as well, always tickled my imagination on what type of species that was etc..it all ended up being a space suit in prometheus, which was sort of a let down, but it might have made perfect sense for the prometheus movie that is.

Waves of light
05-14-2014, 02:33 AM
I cannot image how the Alien films would have looked without his designs. An alien creature that is quicker, more intelligent and stronger than you are. It spills acid should you inflict a wound and instead of killing you, drags you off to it's layer, sticks you to a wall where to wait helplessly as one of it's offspring jumps and clasps around your face and impregnates you via your throat. And as if that nightmare isn't enough, once the alien has grown, it bursts out of your stomach like a chick breaking through an egg.

I will never forget the first time I saw the John Hurt scene.

RIP Mr Giger.

starbase1
05-14-2014, 03:44 AM
And then there's that second set of inner jaws that come sliding out...

What the alien was and did was disturbing enough, but there have been a vast number of monsters which never looked remotely threatening, let alone as deeply disturbing as that thing looked...

And it was also brilliantly executed in the film - I think other Giger film designs were as good but never realised as effectively. Masterful to hold back the clear view of the creature until the end, for maximum impact. I also remember seeing the film in a cinema with good surround sound, and several times just before it struck there was a sound from behind you, to distract you just before the scream...

I had come across Gigers work first in the form of his ELP covers, (not that great), but then found loads more at the sadly long gone SF shop "Dark they were and golden eyed", where I bought loads of posters of his stuff, and the huge book "Necronomicon"...

Nick

Waves of light
05-14-2014, 03:52 AM
And then there's that second set of inner jaws that come sliding out...

What the alien was and did was disturbing enough, but there have been a vast number of monsters which never looked remotely threatening, let alone as deeply disturbing as that thing looked...

And it was also brilliantly executed in the film ...

I couldn't agree more. Killing off a major actor in such a vicious way, early on in the film and leaving the reveal towards the end was perfect. And that's what makes the second film such an impact, the fact you're now dealing with thousands of them and the mother.

safetyman
05-14-2014, 05:07 AM
A true artistic genius whose style and execution were completely unique. He will be sorely missed.

ianr
05-14-2014, 07:58 AM
I am sorry to say that I strongly dissagree with a little part of this post.

and no more horrible nightmares when he closed his eyes. by Prom

Hans Rudolf.G. was A Surrealist & an active occultist in his time,his organic

Metaverses full of pulsing Erotphilic creatures seemed startlingly believable,

all having a mature thread. Hans Rudolf was a traveller in ritual magic who

knew about Egyptian ritual Magik & the Tunnels of Set. My friend Chris told me so.

His brilliance brought this back to us, in the mode of Dali,who he knew, another great

dream traveller, I wish stress that in the Scott period the whole look was his and

an army of Artists at Shepperton moved to his beat. I always wished to work on

it, sigh, but I was locked other things At Pinewood.

The Independent newspaper in the UK has his Obituary links on the front page.. Respect!!

jeric_synergy
05-14-2014, 09:05 AM
(psssst, Wavesoflight, I think you mean "lair", unless the alien is running LWM.) ;)

++++
All those plot point were in the script, but without Giger's design they would have been FAR less effective.

Seriously, his unique invocation of sexual (and biological) imagery in his monsters/design is what gave them their power. As someone pointed out above, plenty of non-threatening monsters out there.

Now I really want to see that documentary about the version of DUNE that didn't get done: Giger AND Moebius working on the same movie??????? That would have been NUTS!!

Waves of light
05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
(psssst, Wavesoflight, I think you mean "lair", unless the alien is running LWM.) ;)

Lol. Thanks for that mate. Errors like that come from working in Modeler, whilst continuously posting on NT forums coupled with being particularly rubbish with the English language (even though it is my first language).

Now I really want to see that documentary about the version of DUNE that didn't get done: Giger AND Moebius working on the same movie??????? That would have been NUTS!!

Now that would have been something special.

jeric_synergy
05-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Now that would have been something special.
Good pix here (http://www.forbes.com/sites/drewtewksbury/2014/05/09/jodorowskys-dune-director-frank-pavich-on-the-art-of-independent-filmmaking/), and a nice photo of H.R. Giger with some concept art.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/drewtewksbury/2014/05/09/jodorowskys-dune-director-frank-pavich-on-the-art-of-independent-filmmaking/

blackmondy
05-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Always thankful to HR Giger for using his sick, twisted mind to conjure up creatures that fuses eroticism, horror, macabre and beauty which ultimately motivated many to join the VFX industry.

shrox
05-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Some of the Dune work was in Heavy Metal and Starlog magazines in the 1980's.

VonBon
05-14-2014, 09:46 PM
:lol:

I thought yall was talkn bout our "hrgiger"
I was like, "wtf" ;D

was bout to write about how that dude
used to get on my nerves when he disagrees
with me on various post here on the forums,
but I guess I'll have to wait a lil longer then.

:devil:

hrgiger
05-14-2014, 10:41 PM

I was like, "wtf" ;D

I disagree.

spherical
05-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Hehhehheh.

spherical
05-14-2014, 11:06 PM
On the variances between films, I was staying at Gary Lockwood's place in Malibu, working on a screenplay with him, and we had all decided to go into Brentwood to watch the film the next morning. I got up early and no one was around. Went down the mountain to Anthony's, where we usually have breakfast if leaving the compound, and ordered. After downing their wonderfully prepared morning food and at least four cups of espresso, while waiting for the others to show up, I began to wonder if I got my plans crossed somehow. Waiting a bit more, with a cappuccino for the road, I finally headed into town, as the screening time was approaching; thinking that they may already be at the theater. Got there... no one to be seen. Ok, into the darkness.

YIKES! Can you imagine watching that film in a first-class Hollywood theater with approximately 40 fluid ounces of caffeine in your system?

When the film ended, I went out into the lobby and, before even trying to walk down the street to where my car was parked, visited the Men's Room. Had a bit of stability trouble there. Upon leaving the theater and reaching my car, I sat there in the driver's seat for a short while and realized: "I can't drive in this condition!", so I got out and crossed the street to the Kirkeby Building where a close friend works. Entering his office, he noticed my obviously altered demeanor and asked what was wrong. I told him where I had been and what I had seen. His reaction:

"It's that good???"

akaracquel
05-14-2014, 11:29 PM
+1 VonBon :ohmy:

jeric_synergy
05-15-2014, 01:09 AM
After I saw "Alien", I checked my VW bug, roof and under the seats. And it was the middle of the day.

And I was only HALF-kidding.

BokadCastle
05-15-2014, 01:19 AM
I didn't know till recent years that there are creatures on earth that have two sets of jaws.
For instance, the moray eel has its pharyngeal jaw, which is usually described as being "just like Alien Xenomorphs" (rather than the other way round).

According to this article, there are about 30,000 fish species similarly endowed.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/04/did-you-know-moray-eels-have-secondary-jaws-just-like-alien-xenomorphs/

Nature, right here on earth, is a great source of inspiration.

bazsa73
05-15-2014, 04:30 AM
I didn't know till recent years that there are creatures on earth that have two sets of jaws.
For instance, the moray eel has its pharyngeal jaw, which is usually described as being "just like Alien Xenomorphs" (rather than the other way round).

According to this article, there are about 30,000 fish species similarly endowed.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/04/did-you-know-moray-eels-have-secondary-jaws-just-like-alien-xenomorphs/

Nature, right here on earth, is a great source of inspiration.
Very true!
Check out dragonfly larvae's mouth system, that's quite creepy too.

Oedo 808
05-15-2014, 05:53 AM
Rest in peace, always sad to see someone gone before their time, brings it home when it was someone whose works you were so familiar with.

Sometimes I wonder whether we'll see a new H.R. Giger, even when such an imagination is out there it just feels like they would be surplus to the requirements of modern art direction, but maybe I'm just getting old.

I was like, "wtf" ;D

I can see why you'd want to, it would save you the trouble of composing a response to those disagreements that made any sense at all. ;D

jeric_synergy
05-15-2014, 07:37 AM
Sometimes I wonder whether we'll see a new H.R. Giger, even when such an imagination is out there it just feels like they would be surplus to the requirements of modern art direction, but maybe I'm just getting old.
Yes, who will take up the creepy, bone-like torch? ;)

starbase1
05-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Who knows? It might be someone on this forum!

ianr
05-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Hey Spherical,
Just luvved your Recall as Ridley's " Luton Van ( Hitchcock)" crashed stage-left
straight into your CA beachworld.

i'll just pitch you one back across the net.....

It was second day of screening at the Premiere Venue at the Odeon in Leicester
Square London Town. We dutifully inspected some of the props laid out (dressed)
by Ridley's staff in the upstairs from the foyer, then went into the dark to watch
the film. My wife Lee & I are there soaking it up & sweating when...
Lee launches up out the chair into mid-air screaming (along with other ladies present!)
I know that her perfect size 8 arse had left the chair, because she was wearing a
shiny pair of skin tight new black leather jeans & the chair was a light colour. Only
to fall back clutching onto my right shoulder across the chair's arms in a heap.
Only later I noticed that there was some blood on my shoulder arm, as we left
the Odeon, Lee admitted she had cut herself. How? I enquired? In her hankerchief
was a small strip of filgreed bronze or distressed brass strip which had been attached
to one of the 'Alien' movie human space suits around the helmet from what we had
looked at earlier.
She had waggled a 3inch loose piece off, to give a me as a souvenir, I ask You !
In her fright she had dug it into the palm of her hand, poor thing thus cutting herself.
Still got the shirt but not the woman.... there U go!

hazmat777
05-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Not sure if it's still on display but we had the Alien Queen (and the mech-loader) here in Seattle for awhile. Looks like they still have some stuff including the "face-hugger" though.

http://empmuseum.org/at-the-museum/current-exhibits/cant-look-away-the-lure-of-horror-film.aspx#

hrgiger
05-15-2014, 01:34 PM

erikals
05-15-2014, 01:52 PM
an older CGsociety article > http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/h.r._giger

http://www.cgsociety.org/stories/2010_10/giger/im08.jpg

Davewriter
05-15-2014, 07:40 PM
The Alien Queen puppet - mech-loader and the "hero" face hugger all live happily in Burbank, along with the Time Machine and a ton of other Kool stuff.

hazmat777
05-15-2014, 09:20 PM
The Alien Queen puppet - mech-loader and the "hero" face hugger all live happily in Burbank, along with the Time Machine and a ton of other Kool stuff.

Good to know. Maybe they will put them on tour again sometime. I just about had a heart attack the time I came around the corner of our museum and saw The Queen looking at me!

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know. Maybe they will put them on tour again sometime. I just about had a heart attack the time I came around the corner of our museum and saw The Queen looking at me!

erikals
05-16-2014, 12:16 AM
oh... btw...

http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien.html

http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien/Early%20design%20stage.jpg

prometheus
05-16-2014, 01:55 AM
I am sorry to say that I strongly dissagree with a little part of this post.

and no more horrible nightmares when he closed his eyes. by Prom

Hans Rudolf.G. was A Surrealist & an active occultist in his time,his organic

Metaverses full of pulsing Erotphilic creatures seemed startlingly believable,

all having a mature thread. Hans Rudolf was a traveller in ritual magic who

knew about Egyptian ritual Magik & the Tunnels of Set. My friend Chris told me so.

His brilliance brought this back to us, in the mode of Dali,who he knew, another great

dream traveller, I wish stress that in the Scott period the whole look was his and

an army of Artists at Shepperton moved to his beat. I always wished to work on

it, sigh, but I was locked other things At Pinewood.

The Independent newspaper in the UK has his Obituary links on the front page.. Respect!!

Que?

Ianr, what was it in your following sentences that dissagree? whatīs the connection with that?

I mentioned this"and no more horrible nightmares when he closed his eyes" because he mentioned himself just that he hade nightmares and angst in some tv interview, he only had to close his eyes and also when he sometime fall to sleep all those pictures instantly showed up in his head, and he also taked about having angst from where some of his art also was inspired by, so he could probably later in life "transform" those nightmares and angst feelings in to something creative in art and eventually appreciate it as beuatiful at the same time, so he no longer goes to sleep anymore, thus I think the nightmares are gone.

dontīsee why you refer to quoting me and then make a connection to whatever else stuff inspired him?