PDA

View Full Version : Cup of tea anyone?

arnoldawson
11-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Well I've been modeling for a few months now and decided it was time to put an actual scene together. I would like to think that it's finished but any crits would be welcome.

I made the kettle steam with hypervoxels, one particle generator and two wind effectors which I found a bit difficult to control. It rendered fine at half my chosen resolution but at full res it completly left out the lower half of the steam, so I had to cheat a bit and photoshop the lower half.

Sorry the subject matter isn't more interesting but I'm more concerned with learning the intricacies of Lightwave at the moment.

http://www.illustrations.freeserve.co.uk/temporary/the-teamaker-reduced.jpg

F1Racer
11-21-2003, 04:53 PM
That is just so damn cool !

Love the teabag box and sugar, nicely made :)

Nice small details too, such as the puddle on the table and teh sugar spillage.

The only thing I would add is some reflection blurring on the tiles of the walls or reduce the reflection a little.

The rest, to me, is spot on !

Great modelling and surfacing. Well done !!!

Any chance of a bigger render ? At least 1024x768 ?

Solaris
11-21-2003, 04:54 PM
uuhhhhh......it is time to cleaning up :)

good job! nice :)!

arnoldawson
11-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by F1Racer
Any chance of a bigger render ? At least 1024x768 ?

OK. A little larger.
Glad you like it. :)

http://www.illustrations.freeserve.co.uk/temporary/teamaker-larger.jpg

F1Racer
11-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks !

I love this one. Its just something different.

Its making me thirsty just looking at it :)

Matt
11-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Top work dude! I keep seeing more and more detail, making me think "oh, cool he's even done that!"

It must have taken bloody ages to place each one of those sugar grains in the bowl! ;)

In fact, I think I'm gonna go make some tea right now!

Matt
11-21-2003, 06:38 PM
just noticed a fundamental flaw in the scene . . . that packet of sugar looks unopened to me, yet the bowl is full, hmmmmmmm! ;)

I suppose you could have just finished off a packet!

:D

hrgiger
11-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Nice.

Reminds me of Bill Fleming's work somewhat (maybe more so the composition rather then the excecution).

The only thing I might try to work on is the steam. Seems a little thick especially since it's not on the burner.

What kind of lighting are you using?

arnoldawson
11-22-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Matt
I suppose you could have just finished off a packet!

Do you know! That's exactly what happened. ;)

hrgiger.

Well you know how it is with steam. Too little and you wonder why you bothered to struggle with hypervoxels, too much and it looks like a major burn up.
The whole thing is lit with one area light around where the ceiling centre would be. Oh, and a tiny bit of ambient.

By the way, I've heard this Bill Fleming mentioned before but am unfamiliar with his work. Do you have a url?

Weetos
11-22-2003, 02:49 AM
I just love that picture. just one crit : the lighting looks weird to me... I don't mean it's bad, but maybe a studio lighting could add some depth.

When I look at this cool render I can't keeping me from thinking "that scene needs radiosity !" :)

Great work

cathuria
11-22-2003, 08:14 AM
Outstanding work:)
I would agree that the steam looks way too thick; a subtler touch with the hypervoxels would look a lot better, IMO.

I would also be tempted to try radiosity on this -- but you could try more/larger area lights or give Eki's Innercaster a shot at it instead... The lighting is sort of "middle of the road" and either a harsher (studio set-up) or softer look should strengthen the image.

Jure
11-22-2003, 09:29 AM
You did a great job. Great modeling and surfacing. I agree with others about the lighting. It looks like you used flash. Adding a few lights to make shadows lighter could help (or radiosity of course).
Some of the reflective materials (plastic bottle in the back and tea cups) could also use a bit of tweaking. It looks like you didn't lower diffuse enough (remember diffuse+reflection=100%). The cloth in front could use a bit of fibe bump map also IMO.

Hope this helps!

Matt
11-24-2003, 03:23 AM
Some Bill Flemming books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471253464/qid=1069669316/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_3_7/202-6805406-9982259

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471344036/qid=1069669316/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_3_4/202-6805406-9982259

starbase1
11-24-2003, 05:40 AM
Very good, very realistic.

I agree with comments about softening the reflections though. Try adding a low intensity very fine bump to the surface - you may need to crank up antialliasing.

How did you do the sugar? It really has the effect of a pile of grains. Surface or model every grain?!?

I'd love to know the details because I suspect I could adapt it for some realistic sand. for my beach I am working on.

Nick

arnoldawson
11-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks all for the comments. Very encouraging. :)

Starbase.

If you mean the sugar in the bowl, I just took a copy of the inside of the bowl, cut it down to the height that I wanted the sugar to come to, created a top polygon which I divided up into small squares and used the dragnet and rotate tool till I had the shape I wanted then tripled the polys, and added a bump map.

http://www.illustrations.freeserve.co.uk/temporary/sugar-wire.jpg

The bump was created in Photoshop as follows (strange dimensions but was the only way I could get the grain size I wanted):-

New document 11cm x 34cm @ 300ppi

Fill 50% grey

Add gaussian noise 40%

Filter/pixelate/crystalize/cell size 4

Magnify till you can see pixels clearly. Set magic wand at tolerance of 1, and select a pixel that is lighter than but closest to black. Select similar and adjust contrast to -6.

Deselect and alter contrast of all to -7

and you should end up with:-

http://www.illustrations.freeserve.co.uk/temporary/sugar.jpg

If you mean the spilt sugar then download this, it's self explanatory.

http://www.illustrations.freeserve.co.uk/temporary/grains.zip

starbase1
11-24-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the info Arnie, much appreciated. I'll try that on my sand!

Nick

arnoldawson
11-26-2003, 01:53 AM
You're welcome Starbase.
I would be interested to see the result. :)

robkoni
11-26-2003, 03:01 AM
Nice work,its a great start..........however(theres always an However) its all to CG at the mo you got to stuck some bumps oneverything and dirty things up a touch.........Its all tooooo perfect..............
All the best Robin

Shloime
11-26-2003, 04:54 AM
Hi.

The others said it all... very good models, lots of detail, that's what makes them "realistic", but...
The picture is very good as a model demonstration, but in ways of compositing it as a stilllife it seems for me too confusing. There is no center of attention, no weight on some single point, it all weighs the same, if you could say so. Focus point is the word I am searching for. And that's the point which I never quite got about the Fleming-pics, now I have it, they also mostly lack a focus point.
Of course this is more like real life, but as a work of art the artist has the choice of composition.
Just a thought.

papito_24
12-04-2003, 01:57 PM
I think you did a really good job with this. I like how all the models came out. i also like how your textures came out.
I have one question?
How did you do the sugar? I'm assuming the obvious, such as small cubes or spheres. Or maybe hypervoxels? I'm just curious.

Again, I think the picture is awesome!

Papito_24

arnoldawson
12-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by papito_24

I have one question?
How did you do the sugar?

Thanks Papito.
Check out the last post on the previous page. ;)

oxyg3n
12-09-2003, 09:38 AM
I really like the variety of shapes and all the objects in this scene.

Good Job

HowardM
12-10-2003, 05:12 PM
SWEET!
:)
Now I know Im being picky, but the reflection of the room is scary...the whole room is tiled like that?!
no, just areas above counter tops or certain parts of walls, but the whole room?! Id go nuts!
:)